new cartridge question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 9, 2006.

1. bottleneck

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I had the Maestro Wood for a short while..... Sounded like a good CD player. Hmmmm.

alanbeeb, Jul 7, 2006
  2. bottleneck

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Aha. I can always tell from our site stats when our name has been called in vain :) Its a very nice cart, though I'm more of a Kontrapunkt man meself ;)

Interesting that you were thinking of the Benz Ace. One of the companies we deal with are planning to do an OEM rebadged version of the Ace at some point in the future. I'd love to give one a whirl.

Uncle Ants, Jul 7, 2006
  3. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

thats interesting U.Ants.. there's no way a Kontrapunkt A sounds as good as this does in my system.

bottleneck, Jul 7, 2006
  4. bottleneck

titian

Chris,
    I think Clearaudio has improved a lot the quality of their cartridges with their new series.

cheers

titian, Jul 7, 2006
  5. bottleneck

titian

that's the point: every system (with their owner) has its own laws. ;)

titian, Jul 7, 2006
  6. bottleneck

lordsummit moderate mod

Just wondering Chris, what loading did you have on the Kontrapunct A?

lordsummit, Jul 7, 2006
  7. bottleneck

Hi LS

I have an Ear 834P.

You just press MC for MC and MM for MM.

The button puts the step up transfomer in place.

bottleneck, Jul 7, 2006
  8. bottleneck

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Not wanting to be unkind to Tim, but the 834P is very much build down to a price and the MC transformer especially. You might find the ranking changes if you use a really high quality MC stepup (even EAR's own MC3).

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 7, 2006
  9. bottleneck

tried one! (tried several in fact).

top step up transformers by companies like Tron, Audion, Ortofon, S&B etc.

In fact, I think I must have tried about 10 or more different step up transformers or similar.

The differences I heard were negligable.

I know you're not a big fan of the 834P's transformers, but my own ears don't back up what I've read from you on the topic.

Hifi being a very subjective topic after all.

bottleneck, Jul 7, 2006
  10. bottleneck

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

For my home system I'm running an Ortofon Rohmann into a rather old 834P which takes MM cartridges only. I use a separate Tim de P tansformer.

I'm not sure that I'm getting as much detail as I could. Perhaps there are some component swaps or simple modifications I could do.

I also find that positioning of all the boxes and cables is critical to minimise the hum but it's always audible, never disappearing completely.

I would happily swap my tranny, 834P and preamp for a single Tim de P preamp including a MC phono stage as this would reduce the hassle, number of boxes, cables and, hopefully, hum. Is there a downside to this approach?

Steve

7_V, Jul 7, 2006
  11. bottleneck

nando nando

phono stages like cartridges are all self preference, personal, very much an individual taste, someone said why do i use a m.f. x-lps for such a t.t. that i have, i also own the kw phono, but in the end you live with what gives you the most enjoyment,as far as cartridges go there are few manufacturers making them but many are branding them,in my experience through out all this years in hi-fi,sometimes the " old men" play better then most youths....for all is worth.

nando, Jul 7, 2006
  12. bottleneck

grivois

Hmmmm, Some friends and I compared EAR's MC3, Shelter, and Denon TX step-ups using my 834P, and they where all more revealing than the standard built-ins. When we substituted S&B 103's, the differences were not subtle, they were night and day: more extended highs, deeper bass, etc., etc. IMHO, step-ups make as big a difference as cartridges.

grivois, Jul 8, 2006
  13. bottleneck

it wouldnt be the first time I've found that audiophiles spend a lot of money on things that make very little difference.

We can add power cable, interconnect, speaker cable and other products to the growing pile of "diamonds on the soles of our shoes".

And no, the age old "lets explain away the differences by complaining about ancillary equipment" doesnt make any more sense here than it does in other cases.

Next stop, we'll be blaming the room acoustic, my own ears or some other ballcocks.

Its a better sounding cart, full stop.

I'd add "IMO" but you can take that as read.

bottleneck, Jul 8, 2006
  14. bottleneck

titian

we always have to blame something or someone. :D

These discussions have only sense when you are there together and listen together to equipments.

titian, Jul 8, 2006
  15. bottleneck

grivois

So true, we audiophiles are on another planet! My girlfriend's Denon M31 system cost 1/3 of that of my cartridge, and to her, the differences between her system and mine are negligable;)

grivois, Jul 8, 2006
  16. bottleneck

Sid and Coke

I see that you've already bought your new cart so my post will be pretty acedemic now.
    Whenever i change carts i normally sell the old one just after buying the new one to part fund it. The only cart that i've decided to keep hold of in recent years is my Shure V15VxMR it sounds good, it looks good and i just love seeing that carbon fibre 'damper brush' swish into action when in use. It would have been right in your ball park at circa £300 new and a new stylus assy can be had for as little as £100 if you shop around carefully.

I'm currently running a Denon DL110 and plan to get another DL103 i the very near future just to see if i'll like it as much second time aound as i did the first. The DL110 digs out loads of detail but i find the upper HF a little too much for my delicate little ears.......

Sid and Coke, Jul 8, 2006
  17. bottleneck

Hi,

There are. I written a short note on this:

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?postID=2052

Then there is something wrong with the cabling. If you have the MC3 it should be absolutely quiet. What interconnects are you using? How have you arranged things?

The downside is that upgrades cannot be made. It either works or doesn't. I personally tend to prefer integrated solutions.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 8, 2006
  18. bottleneck

Hi,

Count yourself lucky and again on the account that you prefer your current cartridge to any sensible MC, it means you have no reason to spend a lot of money.

Maybe they don't because you wish me to be "wrong"?

Anyway, enjoy what you like.... I always do according to this creed:

[​IMG]

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 8, 2006
  19. bottleneck

Hi Thorsten!

I like the motto - right up to the part about guns and dope. You're welcome to both of them.

Since we're being honest - I in no way whatsoever wish you to be wrong, or in fact have any feelings about you being wrong or right in any way whatsoever.

I do however feel that you are somebody who finds it hard to consider any opinion that is contrary to your own as valid.

This makes you blinkered in my view - and although I admire you're knowledge and understanding, I find it a shame that I can't get more benefit from it.

bottleneck, Jul 8, 2006
  20. bottleneck

nando nando

Hi Bottleneck,i Completly Agree With You,. What Is A Discution On A Subject Worth Without Respect Of Individual Oppinion,advice Can Be Very Helpfull " Bias" I Leave That To Tonearms,etc,

nando, Jul 8, 2006
Ask a Question