Nice hifi, shame about the room

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom., Dec 21, 2003.

1. Tom.

The Devil IHTFP

I bet you if you stacked that up against a NAP500 the Naim would wither and die in comparison.

Careful now: I suggested something similar in the Naim forum, and - hey presto! - I was nuked.

NAP 500 with 140 wpc .... how much?!

The Devil, Jan 5, 2004
  2. Tom.

julian2002 Muper Soderator

that's right bub, never mind the quality feel the width, bloody bmw drivers ;).
    still i think someone who buys a nap 500 is looking for something different from the typical atc customer.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 5, 2004
  3. Tom.

sideshowbob Trisha

Like a bigger overdraft?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Tom.

The Devil IHTFP

Speaking as a typical ATC customer [bangs rocks together], I can't think of worse value for money than a NAP 500. I doubt you'd get so much as a peep out of my speakers with a 500, it's just pitifully underpowered for a ten-grand amplifier. Add in the god-awful SL2s for another £5k and you've just about doubled the purchase price of the active 100s. And what have you got? Silly little speakers which you just want to kick, no bass and a big financial hangover.

The 500 would make a great doorstop, though.

The Devil, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Tom.

Alex S User

I recently heard a 500 driving Shahinian Obelisks and there was plenty of bass. It was fronted by a CDS2 which I know times very well and a 252 which I have a nasty suspicion doesn't.

Nonetheless, Speaking as a typical Dynavector customer [bangs rocks together], I can't think of worse value for money than a NAP 500. I can biamp with a pair of HX1.2s and spend the remaining 2.5K on a gold ingot with which to stop the door.

Alex S, Jan 5, 2004
  6. Tom.

julian2002 Muper Soderator

having only heard sl2's at heathrow i'd rather hold off comment but they weren;t as horribly offensive as has been made out here...maybe a case of low expectations on my part. comparing atc's active 50's to a nap 500 is a bit like comparing apples to fish. pointless and a bit silly. however in general i'd stand by my statement that someone who buys the atc's is looking for something different (musically - thank you ian, should have stated that for the pedants out there first of course) than someone who buys the nap 500.
    i'm still dubious about the wisdom of running your signal over a long distance cable (true balanced operation excepted of course) and then having your amps in such a mechanically and electromagneticly noisy environment such as a speaker. but that is old soup already chewed.
    of course i've not heard atc's or a decent nap 500 setup outside of a crude show or shop floor setting so i'm arguing purely for the sake of it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 5, 2004
  7. Tom.

Marco

Alex, your suspicions are warranted; the 252 in comparison to a 52 is, well, there's no comparison... unless you like listening to music with your head wrapped in a soggy tea towel.

How about a 5-shelf Fraim filled with a CDX2/252/SUPERCAP/300?

NAP 500? Dynavector, Spectral, and Bryston, all do better for less... of course an EA-2 pisses over all their trannies ;)

Marco.

Marco, Jan 5, 2004
  8. Tom.

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well at least it's not naim, still It took 10 mins to fall alseep listening to one of those instead of the usual 3, at least an upgrade marco, well done, now how's got the 'good boy chocs ?', I'm sure side show had them last?, throwing them in the general direction of Glasgow

wadia-miester, Jan 5, 2004
  9. Tom.

Barnie

Maddog 2

"Are you based near Lancaster then?"

Afraid not I'm out in the Cambrian mountain range, I ask where you are 'cos it's not too common for folk in the cities to use woodburning stoves..........

Enjoy

Best regards

Barnie
    http://www.barnies-place.co.uk/main.htm

Barnie, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Tom.

Alex S User

Marco, I know JW hates anything Dynavector for personal reasons so doubtless you will too. Nonetheless, most people who've tried think an HX1.2 pisses all over an EA2, especially in musical terms. Neat's experiences show that the ECS does not have the headroom of a Stealth, probably to do with the regulation. They produced their worst show sound with ECS and their best with 1.2s.

Alex

PS In a double blind test that Paul R would be proud of Linn/Naim's premier dealer demmed a NAP500, a multiple orgasm of Klimaxes and a 1.2. The 1.2 won. And, if none of that convinces you, the 1.2 has FIVE fuses you can blank out!

Alex S, Jan 6, 2004
  11. Tom.

Robbo

LOL

Robbo, Jan 6, 2004
  12. Tom.

Marco

Cheers, Tony, the ECS is most certainly an upgrade: although not the best cure around for insomnia. Incidentally, do you know if Bel Canto will be represented at the forthcoming Manchester Airport show? If so, I look forward to checking it out.

Marco.

Marco, Jan 6, 2004
  13. Tom.

sideshowbob Trisha

I've read this sentence three times, and I still have no idea what it means.

What were you on about, WM?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 6, 2004
  14. Tom.

Marco

I wasn't aware JW hates anything Dynavector, but if he does, it certainly won't influence my own opinion of it. Your insinuation to the contrary is most amusing.

Interesting. They're of course entitled to their opinion, but such findings are of no relevance to me unless the comparison was conducted in identical conditions to my own with the same supports and equipment.

“Headroomâ€Â, Alex? Nevertheless, this is most interesting. I'll have a chat with Bob, if Neat are participating in the Manchester Show, and find out a bit more about the experiences you mention.

Yes, but who's "best" are we talking about? And since when has it represented fact? However, regardless of that, all this is of little significance to me as I consider almost all sound at shows to be piss poor. I can assure you the performance from the EA-2 on Phase 9 Mana, on its own dedicated spur, is a light year ahead of what I heard from ECS at last year's Bristol show. Besides, as all discerning enthusiasts know, all equipment off Mana will under-perform.

Woopie doo! Am I meant to be impressed? "The 1.2 won" - "won" in what way exactly? Like I said, such subjective observations mean very little to me, although it certainly wouldn't take much to 'beat' most of what Linn make these days.

As an aside, I rate Dynavector amps very highly indeed, in the appropriate context, as I do those from Spectral and Bryston, but like Naim gear, Dynavector isn't to everyone's taste.

Marco.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2004
    Marco, Jan 6, 2004
  15. Tom.

Alex S User

Marco, you've gone all high-horsey again.

Alex S, Jan 6, 2004
  16. Tom.

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

You are quite right Marco and so you won't mind me telling you that in my opinion you have bought an amp that is almost as overpriced as a NAP500.

Cheers

Jason

PS. Can we please get back to the "Marco and Bub show 2004" now?

ReJoyce, Jan 6, 2004
  17. Tom.

Marco

Tony can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand his inference as an undoubtedly hilarious jibe at the previous forum misdemeanours of myself and a certain individual from Glasgow. We are to be, in effect, from now on 'good boys'. Do I get a gold star?

Marco.

Marco, Jan 6, 2004
  18. Tom.

Marco

Neighhhhhh :D

Marco.

Marco, Jan 6, 2004
  19. Tom.

Marco

Jason, that's really nice to know, and if you have any more pearls of wisdom you'd like to share, please make sure I'm first on your list. Interestingly, Gregory seemed to like it enough in Issue 22, so from that, I take it he must have got to the bar before you.

Cheers,
    Marco.

P.S Who's 'Bub'?

Marco, Jan 6, 2004
  20. Tom.

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Fair stab Marco, Sideshow has been missing his partner in mirth, Bub, for a while now, so, 'Throwing good chocks' much in the same way, todays liberals don't punish anyone, but merely 'give them treats' to entice them to behave, a metaphor nothing more, I doubt if you or the occupant of the lower plane of hades will ever been anything other the Mirthful.
    Nap 500's passible door stops maybe? T.

wadia-miester, Jan 6, 2004
Ask a Question