Nordost Valhalla: Hype or Heaven?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jtc, Nov 17, 2005.

1. jtc

griffo104

John,

I also have found mains cables quite useful. Not black and white but they do make subtle changes which are repeatable. Not sure what they do but take for instance my Linn Majik, I used to listen to indie/rock music at 36 on its volume setting when on the original cables. Changed the cables to RA and this went down to 33 - not a huge amount granted but it did mean that I no longer felt the need to have the extra volume.

However when it comes to silly priced cables I tend to agree with BBV. His emperor's new clothes analagy does hang true from my experience. I think within hifi journalism everyone is scared to say that Nordost cables do not justify their price for fear of being cast aside from everyone else. Look at the hifi+ blind review - the most farcical piece of hifi journalism I've ever read.

I spoke many moons ago to a certain distributor - who shall remain nameless don't want any lawsuits - as I was after a piece of equipment they had. When he heard what it would be partnered with he implied it didn't matter how good the piece of kit was as the partnering equipment was nowhere near good enough for me to hear it at its best.

Emperor's new clothes, snobbery call it what you like - and these guys wonder why hifi is struggling.

I showed the price of Nordost Valhallas to guys at work only a couple of days ago. Their reaction - 'isn't is just a cable ?'

I'm sure there are people out there who read the mags, listen to the (wrong) dealers and buy this stuff regardless of cost - then 3 months later see them in classifieds cost something better/more expensive has come out.

griffo104, Nov 18, 2005
  2. jtc

Garmt

I don't think Nordost cables are particularly lean or harsh either, they are just accurate. The show what the equipment is doing wrong (alhough WM will not agree at all).

Garmt, Nov 18, 2005
  3. jtc

jtc

On an aside, my neighbour Bob just popped in. He's not heard my system before (for various sensible socialite reasons we only ever make it past the doorstep of the other's house on rare occasions, prefering as we do the neutral ground of the nearby pub). I had the crazy looking PS Audio chords in their box, and showed him. He laughed! I wasn't surprised. Then again, I have just played him side 1 of Saxophone Collossus by Sonny Rollins (OJC reissue on vinyl) and he was blown away. Another convert to the cause. He basically said something along the lines of "you audio guys might be mad as hell but I can see it pays off in the end".

I felt like the proud father of a newborn child. Sad f**ker I, no?

John

jtc, Nov 18, 2005
  4. jtc

anon_bb Honey Badger

Griffo - you hit the nail on the head. I use custom mains cables with good connectors and lab grade filters attached - they do make an audible difference especially on phono stages and cdp. I think earthing as much as anything else accounts for differences in cables. I too have spoken to distributors and each one did exactly the same thing - they slag off every single piece of kit you have becuase they want you to replace everything with stuff they sell. They know their kit isnt that much different - they are just trying to squeeze as many bucks out as they can.

anon_bb, Nov 18, 2005
  5. jtc

dcathro

I have to agree with those that find it bright and etched. If you want extra detail and air then fine.

Dave

dcathro, Nov 18, 2005
  6. jtc

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Its also a music killer, takes away the flow and groove and 'adds' presenational aspects IMO.

wadia-miester, Nov 18, 2005
  7. jtc

anon_bb Honey Badger

Again typical of treble emphasis.

anon_bb, Nov 18, 2005
  8. jtc

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hiya, dont know where you're based, but you might want to invite WM (wadia meister) over before you splash out on all new cables.

Im 'quietly confident' he could present you with a sound you would probably prefer for similar outlay.

Its worth your time to see IMO..

cheers
    chris

bottleneck, Nov 18, 2005
  9. jtc

anon_bb Honey Badger

I am confident I can do the same for £50.

anon_bb, Nov 18, 2005
  10. jtc

LinearMan

Am I right in thinking WM is coherent? If so, the prices on the site look very high to me and in the rgion of 2-3 times the cost of Blue Heaven. However, the Nordost is on hold due to current supply problems following the Activ take over on UK distribution. So, I'm open to any sensible proposals!

This has been an interesting thread. So much so that I've ordered some studio quality bi-wire (not van damme) at a very low price which I'll terminate with Michell bananas and compare to my current cables (Odyssey 2 speaker & Kimber KCAG XLR). Just to make sure that I'm not completely losing the plot :rolleyes:

LinearMan, Nov 18, 2005
  11. jtc

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I must admit Im not au fait with the prices of Blue Heaven these days..

bottleneck, Nov 18, 2005
  12. jtc

anon_bb Honey Badger

A very wise choice.

anon_bb, Nov 18, 2005
  13. jtc

Robbo

I'll bet you couldnt ;)

Robbo, Nov 19, 2005
  14. jtc

anon_bb Honey Badger

Already did.

anon_bb, Nov 19, 2005
  15. jtc

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

How about you lug them round to a Les @ Walrus and play ABX's with some of those Cawsey units. Nick

wadia-miester, Nov 19, 2005
  16. jtc

Robbo

Are you saying you have had a head to head with you own cables v WMs cables?

Robbo, Nov 19, 2005
  17. jtc

anon_bb Honey Badger

Oh were you talking about wms? I was talking about nordost. Sure Iwil go head to head with WMs - he is meant to be putting soemthing together for me anyway on the psu front so I wil check a cable at the same time.

WM - I already did a load of tests with walrus cables.

anon_bb, Nov 19, 2005
  18. jtc

blakeaudio

i have been rather impressed with wm's cables. certainly his power cables seem to be in the right area. performance/price seems to be better than most.

blakeaudio, Nov 20, 2005
  19. jtc

zanash

WM's stuff certainly delivers.......creating that night and day difference oft quoted. I was very impressed [back at jullian's bake off]. there were real gains over my diy stuff, the only down side was the cost. But that's life !

zanash, Nov 21, 2005
  20. jtc

anon_bb Honey Badger

I look forward to sampling this effect!

anon_bb, Nov 21, 2005
Ask a Question