pc based juke box

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by plz, Jan 2, 2005.

1. plz

plz

To add to what Tom already said, the other thing to consider is that any "inconvenience" only happens the one time you import the CD that causes it. After that it's on the HD and you never need to worry about it again. I think anyone who is considering moving all their CDs to a HD based system would surely not mind having to make the odd adjustment to the track info. At least I know I wouldn't as I can see the huge benefits to be gleaned from the effort. That I think is the "convenience" (ie. once you have all the data loaded) most of the folks supporting the HD based system are referring to, not the ease of initially loading the HD with the data. The data load is a one time hit.

But ultimately, it's to each their own for sure.

-Peter

plz, Jan 8, 2005
  2. plz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

just an update on the tagging subthread earlier on.
    i downloaded some shareware last night called tag&rename and just finished tagging the bits ofmy collection that didn;t have tags... well i think i have. the squeezebox certainly finds a lot more albums now. it's gone from about 150 to 754 but i could have missed a few where an artist has 2 or more albums on my drive but only one is tagged correctly. still that should sort things out i guess. it took about 2 hours to go through my collection and i was listening to music all the way through so no worries. i can now say i have enough music on my hard drive for 21 days of continuous 24/7 non repeat listening - if windows can run for that long ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 9, 2005
  3. plz

Mr Perceptive

Julian

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go, still been having problems with Tags using EAC with FLAC. Downloading the trial version now.

Nearly there in getting everything together, just ordered a Dell-Outlet PC System Box with a big SATA HDD, its was as cheap as chips and nearly as cheap as building a machine so I thought I'd save the hassle.

Starting to rip albums now. but I'd like to getting the tagging right from the off.

A little more experimentation then we can go full on. Still not had time to try the Squeezebox with my DAC yet, the pressures on my living room for AV have been too great!

All the best

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Jan 9, 2005
  4. plz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

it did seem that older rips i'd done didn;t have tags present so i think eac is pretty good at adding tags. but it may be best to operate a belt and braces approach i guess andget into the habit of adding tags externally when ripping just as a precaution.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 9, 2005
  5. plz

Tom Alves

The one thing I've noticed about tags in EAC is that there are many possibilities for pop music but Classical seems to cover the other 1900 years of music writing

Tom Alves, Jan 9, 2005
  6. plz

Tom Alves

Another thing I noticed today. I've been inputting a bit of Baroque and quite a few concertos have track names that are identical. e.g. Allegro - Andante - Allegro. Windows decides that the two Allegros are the same file and overwrites the first one. This will mean extra vigilance copying anything Classical and changing any duplicate titles.

Tom Alves, Jan 9, 2005
  7. plz

michaelab desafinado

Yes, the whole automatic cataloguing of CDs (CDDB, Gracenote, etc, etc) rather falls to pieces with classical music. When I rip classical in iTunes I generally have to change everything :(

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 9, 2005
Ask a Question