power cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by matthew2456, Dec 28, 2003.

1. matthew2456

ditton happy old soul

I have a s/h Yello and a s/h Goldring that I use with transport & dac (shown below). I've seen reference to Eupen but haven't managed to track down how to buy one. Pl assist.

Short of replacing speakers (JMLab Electras 905 on home demo), I think I've reached the tweaking stage - unless I succumb to replacement amp!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2003
    ditton, Dec 29, 2003
  2. matthew2456

sideshowbob Trisha

Or unreasonable, more often. It's dishonest, that's the problem. I suspect the majority of these companies have no research basis whatsoever for their claims. So, they shouldn't make them.

Absolutely. Or even at high prices, for that matter...

If the amp manufacturer claimed the difference was due to some pseudo scientific explanation, I'd have the same issue with him as with the cable companies that make those claims. As it happens, most of the more outlandish claims tend to come from the latter rather than the former.

To repeat, I'm not denying there can be a difference. I've heard these differences on several occasions. I object to the way that difference is explained, the way so many cable companies seem happy to spout the most absurd nonsense to justify charging an arm and a leg for their products. If the difference is worth the money to your ears, that's fine, but don't expect me to believe the "explanations" the marketing droids at Nordost and the like dream up.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 29, 2003
  3. matthew2456

joel Shaman of Signals

MItsubishi and Belden also make cables for use on Nuclear aircraft carriers and spaceships. This stuff does not cost 1000$ a meter or even $100 a metre - unless you are from the Pentagon, in which case you are probably after a "Mil Spec" $7,000 coffee pot anyway.

joel, Dec 29, 2003
  4. matthew2456

tones compulsive cantater

Clearly a collector's item. However, there is the small matter of my copyright in me. In other words, what's my cut? (And no, I do not accept it as cuts of non-working cable!)

tones, Dec 29, 2003
  5. matthew2456

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well Tones as every ones buying stock kettle leads, your cut at the moment is not much on the grand scheme of things, maybe a Humbug or 2 mate ;) T.

wadia-miester, Dec 29, 2003
  6. matthew2456

maddog 2

who cares what the companies say?

The issue is whether the cables improve the sound, not what some brochure/advert goes on about.

I personally put a great deal more weight to comments made by forum members than marketing bollocks. You'd think we'd all be a bit more savvy in today's marketing bollox world.

Hell you'll be telling me Jenson Button can present TV programmes next.

maddog 2, Dec 29, 2003
  7. matthew2456

Even mine??????:D

tones, Dec 29, 2003
  8. matthew2456

maddog 2

:rolleyes:

even you tones :)

I think the consensus is that the outcomes of power cable changes are inconsistent (in different systems with different mains qualities) with some people finding improvements and some not, and some in between. This is good information. Better than marketing spiel.

maddog 2, Dec 30, 2003
  9. matthew2456

My heart, my heart.....ooooooooh! (Thud!)

tones, Dec 30, 2003
Ask a Question