Room Measurements

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Feb 25, 2006.

1. anon_bb

COOLGUY

I am not an expert, however, after discussions with other who are experts, I can say one thing: measurements, particularly in the lower end of the frequency spectrum, are very difficult to perform, doing the experiments well and interpreting the results correctly require know how which is best acquired by doing a degree in a relevant field - I am not sure "give it up" is the only answer. However, if you are really interested in pursuing this to a correct result, and you have the resources, maybe engaging an acoustics consultant would be the right thing to to. Getting the measurements done, and simply paying for the extra service of "learning" the theory and practice from the guy who would do the measurements, so that you can continue, and fine tune. I thing it is a great thing that an audio enthusiast goes this far in an effort to bring in some exactness and precision to the "hifi" hobby, I suggest, do not give up.

COOLGUY, Mar 4, 2006
  2. anon_bb

Muttondraw

I disagree.

while measurements do require knowledge and experience to do well and interpret, if anything it is the lower of of the spectrum which is easy and cheap. Many very inexpensive capsules have a comparatively flat low frequency response, certainly sufficiently flat to enable meaningful results. Electronic room eq is only really effective at low frequencies and it is comparatively easy and cheap to do and experiment with. When you come to mechanical room eq. (which is more easily effective at higher frequencies) things begin to get more tricky and if you want to do that really well it requires a lot more knowledge. Experimentation is more difficult because you are talking about physical things which may need to be constructed, fitted, moved about etc. When you start totally redesigning the structure and fabric of a room to optimise it for sound reproduction then that is different, the cost of employing an expert could be easily offset by the risks involved in getting it wrong.

I can see a lot of value in experimenting with this kind of thing to put you in a much more informed position if you ever want to get a "professional" in!

Muttondraw, Mar 4, 2006
  3. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

I would agree with that.

Tenson, Mar 4, 2006
  4. anon_bb

COOLGUY

sorry guys, I have replied without noticing all the discussion in between. I was reacting to Oidipus, in an earlier post, who argued that BVV should give it all up.
    I have read some papers, on the maths of active crossovers, what happens to the signal when it hits the x over, the electro-mechanical system that any speaker is, then it hits the room which makes another layer of mess with it, then the sound hits the mike, then it goes to CoolEdit ...
    it seemed to me that it was just too much for a simple mortal. It could easily happen, that one would see a result, change some settting, i. e. on the x-over, then make another measurement,and draw a conclusion.
    but without enough theory, the conslusion might be the wrong one. there are so many variables, that you may not know what exactly happened to the entire system when you changed the setting. Which is not saying I am discouraging anybody from doing this, on the contrary, I am keen to see more results, and wish good luck with it:)

COOLGUY, Mar 4, 2006
  5. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

The usb mic pre and a/d is on the way...

anon_bb, Mar 5, 2006
  6. anon_bb

KUB3 ciao

KUB3, Mar 8, 2006
  7. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Already knew! This could well be the best amp ever made.

anon_bb, Mar 8, 2006
  8. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

:ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:

Stereo Mic, Mar 8, 2006
  9. anon_bb

KUB3 ciao

I wouldn't fancy lifting it! An iccle 7B is enough of a lump. Make sure you get 6 of them in black. That would be the devils own hifi.

KUB3, Mar 8, 2006
  10. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

Are you sure you are on the right pills?

penance, Mar 8, 2006
  11. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Mar 8, 2006
  12. anon_bb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

that site takes me to an industrial radiator manufacturer.

bottleneck, Mar 9, 2006
  13. anon_bb

Joe

'Wife/SO not happy with all that ugly hifi cluttering up the place? Let us install some huge industrial radiators in your living room. That'll teach 'em not to whinge!'.

Joe, Mar 9, 2006
  14. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I have heard the ypsilon system at heathrow - I have to say the sound was dissapointing.

anon_bb, Mar 9, 2006
  15. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

I don't think that was the amps though. They now have a very nice pre and DAC and transport to go with them. Dunno 'bout the DAC and transport but the pre-amp is niiiice. It is a passive transformer pre with switchable active tube gain stage. Each transformers are custom made and each one takes a week to build!

Tenson, Mar 9, 2006
  16. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Even better than the S&Bs?

anon_bb, Mar 9, 2006
  17. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

I haven’t heard them side by side it it had better be for that money! Even the active stage was completely transparent.

Tenson, Mar 9, 2006
  18. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I will stick with the s&bs - not worth spending any more if they really are transparent and I dont need an active buffer via 25cm cables into the crossovers.

I have found someone to do the casework for the phono. Hopefully things are moving along!

My repalcement behringer arrives tomorrow. Slight delay on the mobilepre but should be here next week.

I have tweaked the crossovers quite a bit. I dropped the treble and mid 3db a la James Tanners suggestion because and that has made things a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2006
    anon_bb, Mar 9, 2006
  19. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Nick, unless you have £25,000 to spend on the Yipsilon pre-amp the S&B will have to do!

What have you got sorted for the casework?

Tenson, Mar 9, 2006
Ask a Question