Room Measurements

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Feb 25, 2006.

1. anon_bb

sideshowbob Trisha

Sod you then, back to the wind-ups, you're clearly a hopeless case.

Shellac records aren't harsh, btw, that's just your speakers.

And yes, I have heard MB2s. Never again, with a bit of luck.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 28, 2006
  2. anon_bb

darrylfunk

although

bbv , if you maybe did a bit more research and listening and even god forbid reading before bumbling through this project you may be getting the initial results now not later.

' we often think that when we have completed our study of one we know about two , because 'two' is 'one and one'.
    we forget that we still have to make a study of 'and'.

-a.s.eddington.

darrylfunk, Feb 28, 2006
  3. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Shellac records contain abrasive guitar - that is the way it sounds live and in a system with treble lift it was too much for poor tenson.

Then something else in the system you heard it in was obviously a problem. :p

BTW this thread is about room measurement and eq not whether or not I should change my speakers.

I suggest you come and listen to my system when it is finished (I am putting together the new phono at the moment), then I will accept any criticism or advice you throw at me. You dont seem like a bad chap - just a bit too similiar to me in some ways if the truth be told :p

anon_bb, Feb 28, 2006
  4. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Thats what forums are for! Isnt it more fun for you guys this way? I wanted to show my ignorance fully to soften my image a bit.

Next time I promise I wil be a bit more careful with the results. The usb mic preamp and d/a is on order... hope you can all stand the suspense until then!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
    anon_bb, Feb 28, 2006
  5. anon_bb

sideshowbob Trisha

I'd say taut rather than abrasive. I have all their records and have seen them play live many times, I know what they sound like.

Good idea. I can promise to give an honest opinion one way or the other, no gamesmanship.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 28, 2006
  6. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

As do I - and it sounds exactly as it does live on my system now.

Respect due - I expected no less. You just love the banter.

I have to get the eq and crossovers setup, which shouldnt take long as I ordered the Maudio mobilepre today. Swap S&B transformer into the django and stick the phono boards in boxes. The last will doubtless take a month I guess to get the cases ordered cut anodised and then everything installed and worn in.

At that point I suggest a bakeoff. Never let it be said I dont put my money where my mouth is.

I assume I can put down Tenson, SSB... any other takers?

anon_bb, Feb 28, 2006
  7. anon_bb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I have a few questions BBV.

1. Aren't you about to move house? If so, why change the crossover , measure the speaker, measure the room etc in the old flat?

2. Have you considered hiring an acoustics expert. All the reading I've done on room acoustics (Ive wasted a few!) and the proffessionals I've mithered (done that a bit too) lead me to the conclusion that..
    a) the instruments needed to really take accurate measurements aren't the kind you get from Maplins for a reasonable budget
    b) the knowledge needed to read the results needs real experience and qualification
    c) experienced acousticians can remedy acoustics accurately using the right solution in the right place.

Basically, I'm saying if I were you I'd wait until you move house and then get a proffessional in.

You've spent too much already to dick about with it!

(all IMO)

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2006
  8. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Hi - thats good advice. My plan is that when I move house I will do things properly and get the listening room acoustically treated before getting the speaker setup right and sorting out the crossover and deq. But for now I want to just dick around a bit and see what I can learn. My aim is only really to tweak the crossover a bit and apply some deq in the bass - I am not even going to bother with the hassle of moving the speakers as they are on townshend platforms. To a certain degree I cant leave well alone due to my curiosity.

anon_bb, Feb 28, 2006
  9. anon_bb

Markus S Trade

Sensible.
    Tell me about it.

Markus S, Feb 28, 2006
  10. anon_bb

Muttondraw

You can take sufficiently accurate room measurements at the low end of the frequency spectrum with an uncalibrated cheap mic like the ECM8000, but I think you are right in your other points. I wouldn't underestimate the costs of doing it properly though.

Muttondraw, Feb 28, 2006
  11. anon_bb

Muttondraw

Isn't that why we all do it. What a nightmare scenario it would be if you did your final bit of tweaking and ended up with a perfect system. What would you do then? You would have to spend all your time listening to music... Nightmare! :D

Muttondraw, Feb 28, 2006
  12. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I may well also put the deq in the analog signal chain - but just between the crossover and the bass amps. If I can avoid double dipping the eq for the cd source when its also sitting between the transport and dac. Tenson?

Low end measurements are all I really need other than a vaguely accurate idea of level for the mid and treble.

I wish my practical electronics skills and knowledge were greater. :(

anon_bb, Feb 28, 2006
  13. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Good idea. I would try both before pre-amp and after crossover though. Remember that like this it will be fed an attenuated signal as itys after the pre-amp. Dynamics may suffer. Whichever you do I'd recommend modding the inputs and outputs to use transformers.

Huh? What is 'double dipping' when its at home!? :confused:

Tenson, Feb 28, 2006
  14. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

If I use the deq between dac and transport at the same time as crossover and bass amps isnt there a risk it will apply the EQ twice - once at each step unless the eq is set to analog o/p only? Can I do that? I want to keep the deq awat fromk the mid and treble. Modding the deq sounds like a good idea though.

anon_bb, Feb 28, 2006
  15. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

What's the quoted latency for the DEQ's processing?

Stereo Mic, Feb 28, 2006
  16. anon_bb

oedipus

Let's suppose you put the deq on the bass path...

How much delay does the deq add?

What effect does that have?

oedipus, Feb 28, 2006
  17. anon_bb

oedipus

An excellent question:)

oedipus, Feb 28, 2006
  18. anon_bb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

You're just too young for that one ;)

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Feb 28, 2006
  19. anon_bb

Markus S Trade

<Flip answer> It doesn't matter, Ohm's acoustic law and all that. </Flip answer>

Markus S, Feb 28, 2006
  20. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Even if I knew what a double dip was, I wouldn't have known what BBV was on about!

Nick, you can't use the DEQ between both at the same time. It either goes between transport and dac or between crossover and amp.

You could probably wire it up to both and select which inputs and outputs it is using but you can’t use both at the same time! If it could it would need to have double all the internals.

I'm not sure what the delay is, but it is extremely low indeed. I use it between my PC and monitors when playing instruments and using mics. There is no noticeable delay. Even a delay of a few milliseconds would be noticeable here. You can set a delay as small as 0.02ms if you want so it just goes to show how small its inherent delay must be. Using this delay you can set a buffer like the DAC64 has!

Tenson, Feb 28, 2006
Ask a Question