Shock horror not hifi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, May 10, 2004.

1. wadia-miester

sideshowbob Trisha

I've got a 21 inch one, oo-er missus, and motion artefacts are almost non-existent, apart from on fast-scrolling text (credits, for example). It's a Philips FlatTV LCD, they do larger versions as well. Might be worth checking out, although I don't know if it gets more noticeble as you get bigger, phnaar phnaar.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 28, 2004
  2. wadia-miester

merlin

Do you guys find that the motion artifacts effectively disappear at a certain distance?

The Sony was mighty impressive from say 10ft but any closer and I found it to be unwatchable.

The same could easily be said of the Plasma but at least you still get a decent sized image from 10 feet away.

merlin, Jun 28, 2004
  3. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Awwww Shucks Ju, you old Cynic :p well It got a proper power lead yesterday :) But I won't be up to me nuts, in mud and guts this time, its got a warranty :eek: :eek: :eek: so I'm going to be a good boy :D ;)

wadia-miester, Jun 28, 2004
  4. wadia-miester

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i give it 6 months before it's never connected, bybee'd and biased into class a....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 28, 2004
  5. wadia-miester

technobear Ursine Audiophile

So is it the case that large LCDs are not yet as fast as small LCDs. The spec on my 17 incher is 16 ms which is more than fast enough for video at 25 fps. What's the spec on the Tosh?

technobear, Jun 28, 2004
  6. wadia-miester

merlin

I think all of these systems are flawed sadly and as usual, owners of one try to justify their position by finding fault with the others.

For me, every LCD I have seen is pretty unwatchable on a normal digital TV broadcast, but The colour pallete looks vibrant. Plasma's don't do real blacks, although I find the motion aftifacts to be less annoying. DLP just gives me, and many others a headache. I do hope someone exposes the fatigue issue before they really catch on otherwise we'll all have to endure them. At least at the moment there is a choice of flawed technologies!

merlin, Jun 29, 2004
  7. wadia-miester

michaelab desafinado

You need more than one screen really:
    - Projector for watching DVDs (CRT proj best, LCD and DLP a close second allthough I prefer LCD)
    - 32" widescreen CRT TV for...err...watching TV :)

I haven't seen a plasma or LCD screen that gets anywhere close to the quality of a CRT. LCD projectors OTOH are a different story, but you need a darkish room so they're not ideal for watching normal TV.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 29, 2004
  8. wadia-miester

joel Shaman of Signals

One problem is that the source (sorry to sound so flat earthy) is generally so compromised. VHS and DVD are pretty crap really, and even hidef b/casting pales somewhat in comparison to tape (although, "only" Beta SP or DVCAM for us). Also most monitors are not optimised and most rooms are far from optimal, too.
    DLP is interesing and looks very good when used for rear projection (I've been demonstrated to on a few occasions). But Merlin is correct, it's flawed.
    If you want to improve image quality twixt source and proj, invest in a a seamless switcher from these guys: www.analogway.com
    The perfect solution is optically printed 65mm film. Video can be good, but there's rarely the budget, time, or inclination to shoot it properly.
    HD does look promising from this point of view. Although I remember the time when you had to hire refridgerated lorries as grip cars to transport HD cameras (happily, things have moved on a bit since the late eighties).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2004
    joel, Jun 29, 2004
  9. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mike,

Having just got rid of the same CRT as you, You'll be pretty surprised at how good it is.
    My main reason was a space and less room filling issue, as I watch very little TV, more dvd's which it does a pretty decent job on those.
    I agree comprosmises are always there, thats seems to be the nature of things, still as Ju says, I can always reach for the blow torch :D

wadia-miester, Jun 29, 2004
  10. wadia-miester

lowrider Live music is surround

The old CRT is hard to beat, if only they where thin and a bit larger, still only miss larger screen for some movies, particullarly those with black bars stealing a lot of screen...

lowrider, Jun 29, 2004
  11. wadia-miester

julian2002 Muper Soderator

julian2002, Jun 29, 2004
  12. wadia-miester

merlin

Antonio,

your room looks to be ripe for the addition of a projector and drop down screen. Have you not considered that?

merlin, Jun 29, 2004
  13. wadia-miester

lowrider Live music is surround

It does look like the solution, but I rarely watch movies at night, not to bother the neighbours, and during the day there is too much light in my living room for a projector, also I dont like things hanging from the ceiling... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Jun 30, 2004
Ask a Question