Slight "flaws" on the forum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PBirkett, Jun 23, 2004.

1. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

OK - attachment and avatar upload issues have been sorted. Seems like vB3 uses PHP "safe mode" differently and I had to set up a temp directory with the correct permissions where files to upload can go temporarily.

The avatar dialog I get is the one in the attachment below. I succesfully changed my avatar (and then back again).

mr cat - yes, I do now have a test environment to play with but that doesn't help me to learn CSS/DHTML ;) . I really have no clue how the "links" and "search" buttons do their thing and why the clickable area above and below them is the size that it is. There's nothing obvious in the HTML. AFAIC it's not a problem. Either use FireFox or use the other style.

stumblin - probably worth going into your user cp and unsubscribing from all threads, which will turn off your notifications for those threads, but not any new ones you post on (assuming you have the auto subscribe option turned on). There have been similar issues for me with other forums and as a result I actually stopped using the subscription feature and just used the "view new posts" option instead.

WM - try deleting all your zerogain.com and www.zerogain.com cookies and starting again. Can't think of what else to suggest - I'm not having an issue with it.

Michael.

Attached Files:

michaelab, Jun 23, 2004
  2. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Watch this space - I'm working on a compromise style which is basically the vb3 default style with the "classic" buttons and the colour scheme changed to the greyscale one...

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2004
  3. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

OK - it's up. You can now select the "ZeroGain vBulletin 3 Grey Style" which is pretty much the regular vBulletin3 style with the colours changed and the old style buttons.

I'm going to make this the default for new users as it's likely to be the least difficult to upgrade when template upgrades happen.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2004
  4. PBirkett

Markus S Trade

Dunno if this was covered before: I'm seeing the newest post first. Damn irritating.

Tried thrice to change it in the Control Panel, remembering to hit the "Save changes" button, but no matter what I do, it reverts to this viewing mode. A glitch?

Markus S, Jun 24, 2004
  5. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Very odd :confused: . So you're changing it to "Linear, oldest first" and it doesn't take effect? I've changed your setting through the admin control panel. Hope that sorts it.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  6. PBirkett

Markus S Trade

Thanks, Mike, it worked.

Markus S, Jun 24, 2004
  7. PBirkett

Paul Ranson

Can you turn off those stupid 'tool tips' with a bit of the first message in a thread?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jun 24, 2004
  8. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Yes - I could, but that's one feature that most people have been clamouring for ;) Unfortunately it's not switchable on a per user basis AFAIK.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Actually, I've liked that on the forums that use it. Its amazing the trivial things that bother some people...

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004
  10. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

In the "Whats going on" bit in the main forum page, the pics on the left appear to be dead.

Also Michael, I still cant change my avatar.

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004
  11. PBirkett

Paul Ranson

If the 'tooltip' showed the first message on each page with suitable hovering, or the last message on the last page it might be more useful. But it doesn't.

And why is so much space taken up with the user name, status, date, location, posts etc? If you look up this page you will see that in many cases the left side of a post takes up more vertical space than the content. And I have 'avatars' turned off.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jun 24, 2004
  12. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

OK - I'll fix that. I didn't notice because FireFox just replaced the missing pic with the "alt" text as a proper browser should do :p .

OK - just checked this in the vBulletin support forums and it seems that in vb3 the "Can use custom avatars" option is set to NO by default for all usergroups. I've just enabled it for the "Registered" group so it should work now.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  13. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

But that would massively increase the bandwidth as all those tooltip texts have to be loaded in the page.

With avatars turned off it's less likely that the left column is longer than the post itself but it's just one of those things. I'm considering reducing the font size of the username though.

I guess you can't please everyone :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  14. PBirkett

Saab

I would like to complain about the word "avatar"

who invented such a strange and horrible word? whats wrong with "picture"?

anyway,get rid of that word i say,its worse than "tagnut"

ps well done with this site,for a one man band ist excellent,in fact,its excellent regardless of that

Saab, Jun 24, 2004
  15. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

:SLEEP: ;)

It did have the Alt text, BTW, but its not excusable to have dead links :D j/k

Works a treat mate. Cheers.

PBirkett, Jun 24, 2004
  16. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

It's derived from Sanskrit words referring to an incarnation of a Hindu god in the form of a human or animal. It's been used in many sci-fi novels aswell and generally refers to someone's "virtual" presence or representation.

I don't think there's anything particularly horrible about it :confused: .

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  17. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Fixed now :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
  18. PBirkett

joel Shaman of Signals

Christ. You bring them to a really nice place, let them use it for free, and what do they do?
    Whinge :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

joel, Jun 24, 2004
  19. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

My main whinge is that the fonts in the thread list and for the user names in the post view are far too big, I suspect this is the main reason the new layout looks cluttered.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 24, 2004
  20. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

I've just reduced the username font size from 14pt to 12pt :) . I don't think the font in the thread list is any different to how it was on the old forum.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 24, 2004
Ask a Question