So Thorsten has broken cover ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Have you toyed with transmission lines at all? They suprised me a while back as I had assumed (incorrectly) that a sealed enclosure would be the most accurate, and that ported would be less than ideal. I presumed a TL would be pretty much the same as ported. How wrong I was! The TL's I have heard have been by far the most accurate start/stop bass I've ever heard. They also seem to make smaller drivers sound even deeper on extension than larger drivers in any other type of enclosure. It almost seemed to good to be true - more accuracy with as much depth as anything else I've ever heard. I know these enclosures are much harder to design properly, but the pay off is quite something in the right room.

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
  2. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Well I can hit 126 db in room peak. 1.6 kw rms into 92 db/wm. ;)

anon_bb, Aug 3, 2006
  3. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

It did, honest :) But...

I said not to get too concerned with the SPL thing. There's bigger things at work here.

You confusing my talk about peak vs. background SPL range as my entire opinion on what makes a dynamic sound - there was more ;) The SPL thing was simply talking about 'life sized' proportion in relation to dynamics. The rest is covered with the impulse/step response which is basically a foot print on how a loudspeaker performs, including what can be attributed as 'dynamics'.

The rest of the text about gradual changes is covered by the whole step blah blah thing.

I can see that you disagreed with me because you took meaning from the word SPL.

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

You guys are arguing over a Loudness button. Think 1985 Technics amps ;)

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Markus S

Stereo Mic

BBV,

The two people I know seemed to feel their own systems were better in a number of areas, not being overly impressed by the big PMC's IIRC. Hardly conclusive I think you would agree.

Why rely on paper specifications when you readily admit your record player sounds more dynamic when it obviously isn't on paper?

Stereo Mic, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

BTW Bottleneck, I was more interested in comments on 'accuracy' and was simply adding commentary about dynamics rather than asking to be included in the Adders pit.

Here's what I was more interested in:

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 3, 2006
  7. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

:D

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 3, 2006
  8. Markus S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi!

It's my humble belied that the more we play with EQ, filters, and other ways of manipulating the sound the more stagnant and stale sounding the eventual sound becomes.

I'm sorry to use words like 'stagnant and stale' - but this is the difficulty of describing sound in words.

The approach I would take (if I could) would be the simplest possible signal path (from beginning to end) - and ensure that the listening environment could do justice to that.

This method has produced the best sounds I have heard.

Of course, I use EQ myself and any trick I can to make a poor room sound okay - but when you start from a fatally flawed position there is only so much shine you can put on your turd.

In short I believe in lifting veils rather than adding them - but find that this works best in a good acoustic space.

bottleneck, Aug 3, 2006
  9. Markus S

The Devil IHTFP

Sorry, but why should this "bother" me? You heard them, apparantly, in a "demo", and then go on to froth seemingly endlessly about how much better your "implementation" is than ATC's. If you can't see the gaping hole in your logic, perhaps we had better leave it at that?

The Devil, Aug 3, 2006
  10. Markus S

Stereo Mic

An admirable objective. Sad to say I have yet to hear a system developed from this base point that has convinced on any level when making comparisons with live performance. I would go so far as to suggest that it is a high end dead end that many explored in the eighties and nineties before setting off in more rewarding directions.

Stereo Mic, Aug 3, 2006
  11. Markus S

murray johnson

This is quite simply the saddest and most pathetic statement I've yet to read on this forum. It also shows an absolute lack of understanding regarding the concept of distortion.

It does however illustrate BBV's audio priorities quite nicely as well as his irrepressible urge to willy wave.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
    murray johnson, Aug 3, 2006
  12. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Devil, it's no big deal. Someone has improved upon ATC's standard design. Even the ATC factory tweek their basic off the shelf products for special custom instals (*I know someone who has this on 100's with special ATC amps and subs etc). I'm sure someone could also tweek PMC for a benefit. Anything can be improved. Even an already tweeked ninja!

*This service is only offered to those in the trade, not for home users.

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
  13. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

Kub3, image shack delete images after a while so we can' see my old pics. Despite its thickness, the cone is VERY light and it doesn't move that far to get down to 30Hz, much due to the use of a transmission line which provides near ideal acoustic impedance loading of the driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talking of light weight cones… I don’t think light is the ultimate goal for bass. You need it ridged as well. The cone in my Eminence 12” drivers is very stiff and probably quite heavy (mms 75.3g) but the absolutely huge magnet still gives it a lot of control with a fast rise time. The cones damping is also important to the decay rate. In other words you need to strike a compromise!

Shin, for a driver with a near perfect impulse / step response look at the Manger ;) Indeed, it is VERY dynamic.

Nick, I’m sorry to say you system will not likely achieve that level of SPL. You need to take in to account the cones maximum excursion and thermal power limit not just its sensitivity and power available. The midrange will probably be the weak link for SPL at the lower range of its ability. Probably more like 110dB SPL.

Tenson, Aug 3, 2006
  14. Markus S

The Devil IHTFP

Of course, anything can be improved upon. The point is that Shinpads doesn't actually know whether his "tweak" has made things better, worse, or left them the same because he hasn't compared nor measured the standard-issue ATC model with his own under the same conditions. That is the point, and nothing but the point. If he has genuinely made improvements, fair play to him. I remain sceptical, and in any case, I can't hear any of this alleged dreadful ATC distortion which apparantly assails other people's ears.

The Devil, Aug 3, 2006
  15. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Thanks for the new sharper pics. I didn't fancy unscrewing my AML's :D

P.S my cones hardly move at all when I play music, even up to high levels.

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
  16. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

I see, mmm... a blind A/B in the same room would be the decider

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
  17. Markus S

The Devil IHTFP

Well, not necessarily blind, how about some measurements of both speakers in the same room?

The Devil, Aug 3, 2006
  18. Markus S

murray johnson

BBV isn't interested in trifling details like this. He's done the sums and knows that if he feeds his midrange driver with 1.6KW it will hit 126 dB a fraction of a second before it passes his head and goes through the wall.

What the hell has excursion got to do with anything?!!!

murray johnson, Aug 3, 2006
  19. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

I have some more pictures of the AML1 and its internals but its a 150mb zip file so let me know if you want it and I’ll upload to my server.

Tenson, Aug 3, 2006
  20. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

I wouldn't reccommend that!

My mid dome's on my old speakers died without excess volume*. Those dome's are a touch delicate in reality. I know a guy, Kevin, who's been through three pairs and some over on audio circle forum have had the same fate. I wonder if the ATC's have the same weak point? - as they used to have the exact same midrange unit years ago. Odd, as the rest of the components are rock solid.

* I did sample very excess volume AFTER I got the replacements - just to check!

KUB3, Aug 3, 2006
Ask a Question