tentative january bakeoff...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Dec 15, 2003.

1. julian2002

penance Arrogant Cock

milton Keynes Mafia:confused:

penance, Dec 20, 2003
  2. julian2002

zanash

7th seems good for me.....I'll bring the Quad 99 cdp and some cables rca to din and other bits.

zanash, Dec 20, 2003
  3. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

zanash,
    looking forward to hearing the quad... is it modded at all?

penance,
    yeah watch it, or i'll send the concrete cows out after you.
    [​IMG]
    are you going to make it down for the day?

cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 20, 2003
  4. julian2002

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Ju, your going to need to build an extension mate :) Paul ranson, can fit the out house with the Kans, so he's susssed :D ;) .
    I'd go for a few ground rules else, too much kit swopping & not enough listening, which is after all object of the exercise I feel .Tone

wadia-miester, Dec 20, 2003
  5. julian2002

HenryT

Hi Ju,

Don't know what I'm going to be doing that far ahead yet, like some of the others have said, but would like to put my name forward for the reserve/maybe list.

I'm sure it'll probably pan out like last time where we had most people in the living, and the rest milling in and out and hanging out in the kitchen. ;)

HenryT, Dec 20, 2003
  6. julian2002

there's 10 including me having confirmed at the moment which i can just about accomodate and as henry says there's always a few people milling about nattering in the kitchen or having a smoke at these things.

henry i'll put you on the maybe list, i'm sure if/when the time comes i can fit another couple in although the possibility of the ergonomic kneely chair raises it's head again!

i think we'll have to limit the speakers to the 2 that are declared as comming - steve's 7v's and pauls kans.
    sources so far are - deans turntable (you'll need a phono stage too dean as my 82 only has straight thru boards but they do have bnc's or rca adaptors) possibly a cd5i and zanash's quad99. have i forgotten anything?
    i think it's going to be prudent to limit the speaker trials to my stock kit otherwise we get into mad kit swapping. and then go back to my b&w's for the different sources. this seems the easiest idea although it will depend on the times people arrive and if they can actually bring said kit on the day. if we aim for kickoff at around midday and say up until about 3pm we play with kit and then go back to the stock system and listen to music thereafter that should keep everyone happy. as always this is flexible and not set in stone but should give us a starting point.
    cables are a tough one.
    i have bnc's and dins on the back of my pre, the bnc's can have rca adaptors put on and i have a din to rca converter. i'd say that those bringing sources should bring their preferred cables however i don't think we should get into an orgy of cable swapping as it means we always end up listening to the same 30 seconds of music over and over for an hour.
    this brings up an interesting possibility though as we have 3 sources that can be selected at once if we had the same piece of music on vinyl and 2x cd we could do some comparisons on the fly as it were - perhaps even flirt with a bit of abx testing but only if everyone is up for it. if that sounds good then we'll need to co-ordinate the music - let me know.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 20, 2003
  7. julian2002

penance Arrogant Cock

Julian

Id love to come, but i think in fairness i would have to say doubtful:(
    Mainly due to the distance and hateing the cold on a motorbike.
    If things change ill let you know, but best to let another deffinate have my seat.

penance, Dec 20, 2003
  8. julian2002

penance,
    fair enough. i'll leave you on the list just in case like henry.
    if ever you are in the area you're more than welcome to pop by.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 20, 2003
  9. julian2002

Mr_Sukebe

Good news, I now have the CD5i. It's clearly NOT run in, so I'm not going to bother adding any thoughts on the forums for it as yet.
    Having said that, I'm also considering the idea of it turning into a CDX2, so could be a change on plan on that.

Thanks for the invite, be great to meet you guys.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 28, 2003
Ask a Question