Tony Blairs words on society

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, May 13, 2005.

1. Heavymental

auric FOSS

Has all that much changed since 1987?

Someone I am sure will soon quote from Mrs T so I thought I'd put the link on the record so that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Sounds a bit TB to me.

auric, May 13, 2005
  2. Heavymental

ats

Watched one of those parenting programs on Channel 4 I think during the week. The family had 5 or 6 boys and one of them would regularly punch & kick his step dad. In one scene the boy said 'you can't touch me I'll have you arrested'. It's no wonder discipline in schools is going pear shaped, kids nowadays know they can get away with bad behaviour.

ats, May 13, 2005
  3. Heavymental

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Phill - excellent post.

I think it's because of the environment I was raised in. My parents would punish me if I did things wrong (loss of pocket money, occasional smack, sent to room, etc) so that I learned consequences of my actions. Was also taught a great deal of respect for people, property, etc. They've always been supportive and encouraging but unafraid to tell me where the boundaries are, and they've always taken an interest in me rather than leave me in front of a television and ignore me.

I-S, May 13, 2005
  4. Heavymental

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

Interesting thread. Here are some of my thoughts on some of the points.

I do believe some of the problems are due to how people are brought up and some are due to society. A number of problems have always be there. There has always been elements of loutish behaviour. There has always been 'horrible' crimes etc. Today, the slightest thing can get reported. Sometimes it sounds like it's happening on every street corner.

The thing is that some of our problems are caused by people who should know better. In a number of cases these people don't get caught.

Society of this country has always been changing. There has alwys been rich and poor, morals have always changed, culture has always changed, communities have always changed. The country is an island and has always had migrants coming here. There has always been envy.

As for not knowing your neighbours, who's faults that? Also not everyone will get on with their neighbours for one reason or another. This has always been the case.

What wrong with that? If you want to do more things plan your life better. There are only so many hours in the day.

A lot of people have come here to work and do work. Both legally and illegally. There is a lot of work to be done in this country. Birth rate is falling People are living longer. One problem we do have is that alot people live and work in certain areas. London is crowded and some of the organisations don't need to be down there. They could spread around the country. The demand for london and the home counties has been huge.

i live in a city of over 500,000 people. It's doesn't seem overcrowded to me.

This has again always happened. Too many people are taken in be things. Don't get taken in by it.

If all you do is watch tv and computer games then you may have problems. we have always had people who have very little variety in life.

I do fully agree with this. Parents don't have a manual on parenting. People don't agree on many things. I do think parents need as much help as possible. There has always been parents who have had a lack of time but the kids have turned out well. There have been parents that have spent a lot of time with their kids and the kid have turn out to be nasty.

It's not the length of time but the quality of time. It's always down to the standards set.

US culture has had a lot of influence on british culture both good and bad. One good thing is the music. Without US music, popular British music would be nowhere.

Crap can come from anywhere.

More help for our society is needed. I have watch a few programmes over the last week about parent/child issues. The advice offered improved situations. An expert had analysed the child problems and offered solutions. The hardest part was parents following the advice, which at times wasn't easy.

Too right!

This is so true. We need to set our standards high.

Parenting classes is something that can be looked at. Not sure what form they should take, but the idea is good.

Not so much parenting skills but life skills. This is something that can be (and has been) incorporated in schools but it needs to be done from when the child is born.

This happens in all walks and all parts of society and needs to be looked at.

More on the other points later.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 13, 2005
  5. Heavymental

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

Here are some more thoughts before I go out and spin some tunes.

As someone who has turned 40, this has happened but usually in earlier times. But at the same time, when I was a kid, there were many people who would have a go at the police if this happen.

But this shows that there was wrong doing in the first place. They just had the misfortune of getting caught. Don't look at things through rose coloured specs. There were some nasty things done in the 70s and before.

One reason for this is the rise of the bad coppers and bad policing. We have seen a lot of miscarriages of justices for many reasons. This has lead to the mistrust of the police. Police need to be accountable.

This is true. People are wary due to bad teaching, policing and parenting etc.

Only part of the problem Isaac. Some kids do get discipline and punishment but it's not consistant. Some kids act like angels at home but are nasty at school. It is something that has been going for some time. Rules and guidelines need to be set.

The increase in getting information 'as it happens' has lead to this mistrust. The downside iis that a lot of info can be lies, half truths, hearsay and scaremonging. It can play on peoples hopes and fears.

more later, the decks are calling.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 13, 2005
  6. Heavymental

GAZZ

Can you imagine the crime if you stopped benifits just look a the US. I do unpaid work and its not the uneducated that is needed. HArd work doesn't always pay there are millions of people working for minimum wage and have to do long hours.

GAZZ, May 13, 2005
  7. Heavymental

mick parry stroppy old git

Chaps

Punishing some peasant with a fine, ASBO, probation, short prison sentence etc is about as effective as a chocolate teapot.

The only answer is to make the punishment short, sharp and totally terrifying.

The only answer is the birch. 20 good strokes for the first offence. Make it 50 for the second. I doubt if you will ever reach a third offence.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, May 14, 2005
  8. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

Mick brutality just breeds and condones brutality. For some it would break them, for others it would just harden them.

In terms of sentencing - it should reflect society's view of the crime and should demonstrate fairness. I'm not advocating liberalism - eg. I agree with the idea of a 5 year minimum term for those in posession of a gun, but Societies like the US which brutalise those who break the law create an ongoing problem for themselves.

Your goal of a short sharp solution to a complex problem is simplistic and knee-jerk I'm afraid.

greg, May 15, 2005
  9. Heavymental

Lt Cdr Data om

hiya Dean, just to respond to a couple of your points.

hell, I know we need migrant workers, there are a lot of jobs to be done, menial jobs that I wouldn't want to do.

But we have 4 times the population density of France, we are overcroded and in biological systems, overcrowding leads to fights.

I got used to it, but coming from a quiet area and going to London felt very uneasy due to the squash at first, I never really liked it, but I do like the life of cities.

You just need to look at the cars on the road and stress on services now, we are teetering on the brink.

But I don't want to turn this into a discussion on immigration, it gets nowhere.

My points above are the diagnosis of why society is now the way it is, and there are undeniably many many more ways to spread your time, there are unequvocally too many things to do, and people complain about this all the time. Its no ones particular fault, but the natural state of play with technology et al. That's what I meant by societal evolution, the current state of play leading up to this time.

Envy and the gap between rich/poor is getting worse with the media celbrity culture thing, the beckham factor, true its always been there, but now is everywhere and obvious due to papers and media.

As to the neighbours, its as much there fault, I used to know everyone, now I never see them at all, they are not bothered. I always make eye contact, they don't even bother to recognise, I do my bit, they don't, that's them. some are friendly. This has changed in the last 10 yrs.

too many rights, too much leniency, I have some sympathy with mick's point of view, some. Everyone has an excuse for the crime, a defence, mitigation, perhaps all crime is excusable in that people do it cos they just can't help it..I dont' know.
    kind regards.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, May 15, 2005
  10. Heavymental

Greg

The Ilse of Man retained and practised the birch until the sixties.

It had a low rate of petty crime and I believe hardly any repeat offences ever occured. The thought of a second birching was too much, even for the most hardened thug.

I see nothing with trying a 3 year experiment as the current system is clearly not working.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, May 15, 2005
  11. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

Mick, the social structure and fabric in the Isle of Man differs considerably from mainland Britain IMO. First question - has there been a significant change in crime rates/types since the birch was [rightly] abolished?

I believe the size and cohesion of society in that small island is probably largely to do with its low crime rates.

Secondly regardless whether the Isle of Man - famed for its forward thinking social policies like homosexuality being illegal - considers the birch an appropriate response to crime - I do not.

Brutality teaches the recipient that the society administering it actually condones it.

Stateside - the death penalty is the ultimate reason why the state should not be respected. To respond to a murder by murdering the murderer does nothing but make society feel better. It does not solve the problem it sets our to solve - that of preventing future murders. There is no evidence of which I am aware that supports its efficacy.

Birching criminals might make people like you (ie. who share your view on birching) feel better, but that is not a solution to a set of complex social problems which lead to crime and criminal mindedness.

greg, May 15, 2005
  12. Heavymental

Greg

You said

"Brutality teaches the recipient that the society administering it actually condones it."

The birch is so bloody painful that it scares the yobs into not behaving badly.

The is what it is all about.

Trendy liberals like you end up breeding little thugs.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, May 15, 2005
  13. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

You said "Trendy liberals like you end up breeding little yobs".

Amusing that you conclude a person who doesnt believe in the Birch is a trendy liberal and really bizarre that you both characterise me as that but then conclude "I will end up breeding little yobs".

I endured the cane at school on three occasions and it taught me nothing except my school and its opinions on discipline were flawed.

With regards to our children, I strongly believe in discipline but parental discipline not bullying. You clearly believe in raising quiet but unhappy, bullied children?

greg, May 15, 2005
  14. Heavymental

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Mick - I think that's stepping a little too far over the line to personal insults. Please keep it civil.

I-S, May 15, 2005
  15. Heavymental

Greg

I worded that sentence badly, I was not commenting on your parenting skills and I apologise if you interpreted it that way.

What I meant and strongly believe is that a trendy liberal society tends to breed little thugs in the next generation.

Some yobs only respect force and the birch scares the living daylights out of them and as a result, old ladies don't get mugged etc.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, May 15, 2005
  16. Heavymental

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Respect and basic manners are long forgotten, question is how do we get them back?

wadia-miester, May 15, 2005
  17. Heavymental

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Back for more.

The thing is, we have always had a celebrity culture. Throughout history, there has been people we have always looked up to. In the past, it was leaders and royalty. Nowadays it's celebrities. This is due to media coverage. These celebrities make better news stories

One thing that attracts people to them is the fact that many have come from a lower social strata. It is easier to move up the social standing than ever before. Not everyone has or will do it but a fair few people have moved to become 'middle class' and upwards. You can do this by years of hard graft or by striking it lucky. The fact that people do get more money does attract a lot of interest. Both good and bad.

What's wrong in aspiring to be a footballer? Football is the world's number one sport. It can be a thing that makes people forget their worries. It can offer escapism from everyday life. It is a big form of entertainment. As Human beings, we need to be entertained. It makes them feel better. This is not too say that people shouldn't aspire to the every positions that were mentioned. You need many things in life to help people to aspire to.

Why do you think he contributes very little? He has made millions of people around the world very happy. He has made his employers (football clubs) loads of money. Hence his big saleries. He has made millions for various charities. He has paid a load in tax. etc.

A lot of entertainers do similar things. Don't underestimate the power of entertainment.

David Beckham gets paid excellent money because people & organisations are prepared to pay him good money. The same with a number of other sportsmen and women. It all boils down to the deal you can get from your employers.

I agree with that. Also the pay the teachers more who work in those schools. But at the LEAs will offer a salary and it's up to the applicants to say yes or no to it or haggle a better deal.

Most students don't train like athletes. This is due to sacrifices made. A lot of athletes have to give up big chunks of their lives to get anywhere in their sport. You don't need to be as dedicated when you study.

You can get on by doing the bear minimum as a student and end up quite cosy. In sport you do generally need to be at the top of your game to get on. This is not be say that there are not many people who work hard as students. A number don't work hard all the time.

It's more than most footballers can. He can do these to a very high standard. Very few players can do everything to world class standards. Football is a team game where you have a balance of players with different skills. Teams very much need players who can pass and cross. The standard of passing and crossing by British players can be very poor. When someone can do this to a high standard they become a commodity. Look at Wayne Rooney, look at Gazza, look at Chris Waddle, look at George Best etc.

I agree with a lot of this. The downside is that we can't pick our families and we can make a pigs ear of picking our friends. Weak or poor friends and family could set you on the road to ruin. Strong parents and friends can lead to very good things. People being nice to each for one.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 15, 2005
  18. Heavymental

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Ian (data),

a few points to counter your points.

A lot of migrants don't just do menial work. A number do important and qualified work. Also a large number of migrants are in fact British born people who have been away for over year and have migrated back.

You will find that most people live in only a small part of a country. Here in the UK about a quarter of the population live in or around London. The South East. Parts of this country are not very crowded at all. People choose to live in these areas, which can be crowded. This has mainly been because the work and commerce is in these places.

As for fighting, some people will always fight. In the past, the this country has been much less crowded and there has been many fights. Some were civil disturbances, some were civil wars. All for many different reasons.

A number of problems are due to bad planning on the transport inferstructure over the years. I don't think we are teetering on the brink just yet.

No it's not turning into a discussion on immigration but if you put down points people disagree with they may be challenged.

Have you asked yourself why you don't know your neighbour? Have you been round? Just because they don't come round doesn't mean they are bad neighbours. Have you been round? If it's just eye contact, I'm not surprised. How about inviting them round for a cup of tea or a plain 'good morning'. If they are not bothered, don't worry about it.

The thing is that not everyone has good neighbours. This has always been the case throughout the years. People don't get on for various reasons. This is nothing new.

Too many rights etc can be a reaction for having few rights etc in the past. I generally don't see getting rid of rights as the way forward but I do agree with
    the 'people need to take responsibility for their own actions' comment.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 15, 2005
  19. Heavymental

greg Its a G thing

I know plenty of men, people I grew up with, who have no respect for the criminal justice system because it appears to have no teeth. I guess it's possible some of them might respond differently to such measures, but I'm personally not convinced.

Most of them have either had significantly bad things happen to them in their personal lives for something like corporal punishment to have little meaning.
    Examples include an alcoholic dad who regularly kicked the living sh*t out of him, a guy who lost his mum when he was a kid, a guy who was badly bullied for many years, a guy who grew up in a home where both parents were heavy drug users.

The above are not a list of excuses for some of the crimes they committed, just part explanations as to why most of them lack some sense of moral responsibility held by most people.

Othe chaps are a little *mental* and I really mean they are lacking something in their head - those guys dont really think through their actions in advance and any deterrent is unlikely to kick in during the "act" of whatever they end up doing. I wouldnt be surprised if they were starved of oxygen at birth - I would stake money that a brain scan would genuinely show up some defects.

On a wider level the word "respect" keeps cropping up. How do we get "yobs" for want of a better word to have more respect?

Well they do have it but what they have and seek is "respekt". Respekt for the heavy up the street who makes a good living out of selling rox, or the gang in the estate who take no shit and wear flicky threads. The dude with the trick Corsa or the "posse" with some shizzle, access to a recording studio and who are surrouded with fine hoes.

This type of person aqcuire an "ideology" from sources like The Godfather, Scarface, Mobb Deep, Sizzla, Snoop and Dre, the Grime sound of East End London, the "attitude" of Moss Side, Hackney, Knowle West, Chappeltown, Handsworth, Deptford, etc...

It's sad to say the least but respekt for authority is something that needs to be earned. Teachers are sad suckers with no power, the police are lacking resources, education is for chumps, aspirations are for fools. Poor quality policing, CJ system with little bite, poor housing solutions, little to do and few obvious opportunities make it easy for this respekt not to be extended to wider society.

They themselves are clearly chumps, they expect things for free and dont feel the desire to work for them, they aspire to a certain "lifestyle", but dont equate effort and self-organisation with acheiving this. Instead they believe connektions and contakts will help them get what they want without having to participate in society. Naturally being "backed-up" is essential and so the gun, the knife, the mate down the road who can turn up with some muscle when required.

Their attitude is often justified because their parents share the same view. They are people who never grew up, are possibly drug users and or unemployed, scamming, fighting, had a bad experience at school and support their kid's lack of respekt for teachers, had a bad experience with the police, etc. Their kids lack role models, good examples, alternative ways of looking at the world. The problem will continue generation after generation unless some contigeous and committed policy changes actually attack this attitide with metaphorical stick, yes, but carrot too.

If these chumps and those who aspire to be like them are to be drawn away from these patterns of thinking then we as a society need to establish frameworks of opportunity and enfranchisement which clearly make more sense to them than the petty, and low aspiring perspective they have at present. This sounds like a compromise, a soft touch, yet with our own children you dont get very far in influencing them if it's all "stick" and no carrot.

They might have dodgy values but they, like flowing water, are simply taking the path of least resistance. But add drugs into the equation and you have a real difficulty - certain drugs sap motivation, others reify the mind and the value system. The drugs are a big problem.

greg, May 15, 2005
  20. Heavymental

Lt Cdr Data om

I bet Mick P would agree with this, this is sort of tongue in cheek, let all the drugs gangs shoot each other ,then there won't be drug violence as there's no-one left :D
    you just have to look at the parents reactions to know this is wrong tho'

Lt Cdr Data, May 15, 2005
Ask a Question