Top 100 albums...

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Anex, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Anex

Joe

There's me as well. People slag Morrissey off for being a miserable Manc, but compared to Thom Yorke, he's Pollyanna!

Joe, Apr 19, 2005
  2. Anex

Anex Thermionic

Yeah I'd noticed that too, everytime I see him and think hes about to say something relevant he goes and ruins it. The biggest head in music? Undeservedly of course.

I reckon bleach is better than nevermind too tho.

Anex, Apr 19, 2005
  3. Anex

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The thing about Morrissey is that if you see him live you realise he is anything but misserable. Although in terms of personal qualities I am not sure he is the most employable person on the planet.

amazingtrade, Apr 19, 2005
  4. Anex

sideshowbob Trisha

He's got ridiculous hair though.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 19, 2005
  5. Anex

Joe

I've always found him very amusing. He has (or had) a very English take on things. Much like Ray Davies, in fact.

Joe, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Anex

Yep his hair to is stupid, but you have to respect a person who says in front of 10,000 locals he is glad his old head master is dead, who happened to teach at the a school 200 yards from the stadium.

Big mouth strikes again sums it all up really.

7. Anex

Joe

Another favourite 'big mouth' is Ian McCullough of Echo and the Bunnymen. I especially like his response when asked what difference replacing the drum machine with a human drummer.

'The drum machine smoked less dope and had a better sense of humour'.

Joe, Apr 19, 2005
  8. Anex

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Erm..... why???

MO!, Apr 19, 2005
  9. Anex

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

yeah lol. doesnt that make him a shit?

bottleneck, Apr 19, 2005
  10. Anex

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I agree, why.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 19, 2005
  11. Anex

ErikfH

Maybe the target group that he tried to please with this was similar to his audience that night.

ErikfH, Apr 19, 2005
  12. Anex

SCIDB Moderator

I don't think that is true. A lot of people liked Oasis. Oasis were in the right place at the right time. There popularity was huge. There was a rise in guitar based music in the early to mid 90s and Oasis caught that crest of the wave. They were an ideal rock band. They had the bad boy image with the fighting Gallagher brothers with Beatle style hooks & influences their songs. The press had a field day and the public locked onto them as well. The songs had a sing along effect that people latched onto.

They went from club gigs to stadium rockers in a short period of time. They sold shed loads of records. The album, 'Definitey maybe' was the fastest selling album in the UK and their 2nd album 'What's the story morning Glory' is the second biggest selling album in the UK. It's only a few hundred thousand behind Sgt Pepper.

It is not surprising that people would have voted for them in this poll.

BTW, I'm not a big Oasis fan, I can take them or leave them. I do own the first albums. I did witness how big they were during that part of the 90s when I played the records at various dj gigs in the clubs.

I listed these records to show that only 3 of the biggest sellers made the top ten, not to say that they should be there. As i said before, how do you define greatness. To a lot of people, these best sellers are great.

You can list a hundred records and people will say some are good and some are bad.

The thing with this list of 100 albums, is that the criteria of how it was chosen has not been mentioned. Or who the panel of experts were.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 19, 2005
  13. Anex

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

The best thing Noel Gallagher ever said was "Phil Collins said he'd come back from Switzerland if Labour lose the next election, and none of us want that"
    Otherwise I feel Oasis are at best average, and at worst downright annoying.

leonard smalls, Apr 19, 2005
  14. Anex

I don't know the full facts but Morrissey's head teach used to beat him at school, therefore Morrissey hated him, when we has on stage at Move he said we was glad his head master was dead. I just thought such a controversial statement requires a lot of guts.

To me these days Oasis seems to be assosiated with drunks, when they play it in clubs you can guarentee a bunch of larger louts start dancing to it, but then I suppose you can say the same about the Smiths or Stone Roses, just not quite on such a large scale.

I just wish these club DJs would inovate a little bit and stop acting like Radio DJs. I am of course refering to the smaller indie clubs here. I like the music they play, I just get sick of it when they play the same old songs, some album tracks would be nice.

Oasis is typical of the problem with manc indie clubs musicialy.

15. Anex

SCIDB Moderator

Hardly controversial.

Have you asked yourself why? It usually because these tracks get people dancing and most popular. Have a look at what gets requested. Have a look at what get the biggest response on the dancefloor.

It can be hard to break new tunes on a dancefloor.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 19, 2005
  16. Anex

I understand the commerical aspect but it just seems to go against the spirit of indie. Its always the same stuff they never seem to update or experiement.

My complaint is that these clubs claim to be so inovative musicaly, I don't see whats so inovative about hearing Blue Monday or Ciggarettes and Alchohol for the 100th time in the same club.

17. Anex

Anex Thermionic

I meant the oasis thing as a joke, but I still think morning glory is dire.

I haven't got a proper description for it but some people know what is 'good' and what is toss, I think its fair enough that somewhere or other someone just decides, look at that songs of the millenium list, utter rubbish.

Anex, Apr 19, 2005
  18. Anex

ErikfH

And it can be hard for a DJ to risk popularity.

ErikfH, Apr 19, 2005
  19. Anex

Well hopefully soon enough I shall see that for myself, I really don't want to have to go down the road of playing Oasis becuase its popular though, it seems like selling out some how.

I think my trick will be to get the balance right, play a bit of Pulp which goes down well but play a but more obscure stuff as The Longcut or Hanky Park. I suppose if we did have to play an Oasis track due to popular demand it would be an album track.

I am aware of the need to balance, my mate just wants to play loads of obscure stuff but I told him it won't be succesful as people won't know any of the tunes. You have to get the balance right between being inovative (i.e playing new or unkown stuff) to playing enough well known songs to keep the crowd interested. I guess this is a tricky thing to do.

20. Anex

Anex Thermionic

Being a good DJ doesn't mean playing anything people have heard of, I buy all the Dave Seaman mixes because I've probably heard two tracks on there at best and go to watch DJs to find new stuff alot of the time. Depends on what your audience are expecting though I spose.

Anex, Apr 19, 2005
Ask a Question