Top 100 albums...

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Anex, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Anex

greg Its a G thing

I guess it depends upon what type of DJ you consider yourself to be and what crowd you tend to play to. Personally I get a bit too obsessed in avoiding tracks people might have heard before - to some extent to my own disadvantage.

greg, Apr 20, 2005
  2. Anex

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am aiming the middle of the road bars or slightly trendy pubs. I am not going to play in scally pub where a mobile DJ called Dave plays Maddonna all night.

I want to play to an audience who appecriates music, but at the same time what I will be playing is mostly better known bands mixed in with some new stuff which is just coming through.

I want to be more up market than the big commerical city centre pubs but want ot be commerical enough for the masses to have a good time.

amazingtrade, Apr 20, 2005
  3. Anex

Heavymental

Stick some banging techno on...something that thumps through your body and just keeps doing it til its time to go home. Get some dancing people in...not bloody students who want to bounce around to Oasis and Blurs Song 2.

Heavymental, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Anex

Well the night is essential an electronica night, but what we don't want to do is become dance DJ's as neither us are interested in that. The nearest thing to Tehcno will be New Order, Kraftwerk, Chemical Brothers, Bravery and of course a new band I am championing called Performance..

We want to be different all the bars have dance DJs.

However what this night certainly won't be is a cheesy indie and larger night, we won't be playing the Jame's stadium stuff or a Park Life etc.

We will be playing Blur and Pulp but it will be more of the album tracks or singles which are not so well known as Common People or Disco 2000. I will probably have to play Blondie's Atomic later on though that always goes down well.

I am going to kick off with my 12" New Order Ceromeny as the bass is killing on that, then tone down a bit then kick of with the dancier stuff later on.

I am the DJ who plays the better known stuf and my mate will be the John Peel.

I'm going to ask some local record companies for some demo's too such as Twisted Nerve and F4 (Wilson's new label). It shall be interested to be told to f**k off by Tony Wilson!

The night will have too very distint influences the late 70's and ealry 80's New York scene and the manc scene with a bit of German's in between :D

amazingtrade, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Anex

greg Its a G thing

AT - sounds to me like the right plan. Across the UK, legions of <24 year olds are desperate to recreate the 80's in sound and style so plenty of Kraftwerk, New Order, Blondie can only satisfy. "Those crazy kids"

Personally I tend to play a blend of new and old, but from a slightly different perspective.

greg, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Anex

Funny how I am 22 (will be 23 when I start this) and my mate is 21 :p

There will be plenty of modern stuff as well unless I do it soon I will never get it done, I graduate soon hopefully so as soon as my last exam is over its time to find a venue.

amazingtrade, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Anex

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

I only own 23 of the list, and have about another 10 on cassette taped from the library, can't really see me getting many of the others either. These lists are always interesting, if only to see how they've re-organised the same 100 albums this time (give or take the odd 4 or 5).

The first Oasis album is the only one that belongs there. Radiohead shouldn't be No. 1, but that is a good album, Television aren't on there but the Strokes are... hmm. Something wrong there. Wouldn't have Moby or Dido in there myself. A few I'd tip for the list:

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights
    Television - Marquee Moon
    Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power
    Motorhead - Overkill
    Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain
    Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach

ilockyer, Apr 21, 2005
  8. Anex

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Do me a favour, Bottleneck!!!! "School" and "Negative creep" piss all over ANYTHING even remotely comparable ("Smells like teen spirit"/"Breed") on "Nevermind". It's a stale, worn out and overplayed album. "In utero" and "MTV unplugged" piss on it from a great height as well.

Noow don't get me wrong, I like "Nevermind", but it rarely gets played versus any of the others!

Mind you, what would I know? I like Hole after all!

EDIT - as for Morrissey - maybe there's a lot more to the headmaster thing than we know. If his headmaster is anything like our ex-housemaster (think the lyrics from "Another brick in the wall (part 1)" with predatory paedophile combined, then with a George Michael-style outing in an east-Devon toilet) I'm throwing a street party when that little **** dies - assuming some decent upstanding pillar of the community hasn't offed him already. He treated anyone he didn't "fancy" like dirt (ie people like me) and he threw a certain mate against the wall once, and belted another over the head with a rather heavy book for no reason (bearing in mind this person had had detached retinas (iirc) you can see how bad that was).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
    domfjbrown, Apr 22, 2005
  9. Anex

Joe

All of my ex-headmasters are dead. The two from my grammar school died within a year of each other, so clearly that thing with the wax effigies and pins isn't all wrong!

Joe, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Anex

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Was depeche mode's violator on the list by any chance?
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 22, 2005
  11. Anex

One of my head teachers is dead I liked her though so I was a bit sad when I found out. She was a chain smoker, she died of cancer aged 56. She never did me any harm.

amazingtrade, Apr 22, 2005
  12. Anex

Heavymental

Thanks for that.

Heavymental, Apr 27, 2005
Ask a Question