Top Analogue Set Up?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Nov 23, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin

Ta Ian, I suspect it could be remarkably similar. Maybe the closed in sensation was the arm? Still might keep an eye on it -seems a lot for deck only though. Still, given the hype on the forums, I would not be surprised to see it fetch well over the odds.

TT's are just such a pain to dem properly - no one seems to keep the top ones in stock.

merlin, Dec 1, 2004
  2. merlin

sideshowbob Trisha

The Emporium have a Mentor with arm for £1100. It was the top NAS deck for a while (IIRC it retailed for over 4K), and comes with the Bastin PSU as standard I believe. If I was on the lookout for a deck I'd seriously consider it.

Have you been to Walrus yet? They have loads of stuff in the shop that isn't on their website. Give Les a ring, tell him your budget, and get him to set up a few decks in that price range, both new and second hand. My guess is you'll like an Amazon with a Morch arm.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 1, 2004
  3. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

That would be a truely awesome deck.

joel, Dec 1, 2004
  4. merlin

merlin

Not made it yet Ian. It's going to be difficult to know with a strange cart and in a different setup. that's my problem. If I go further up the Vpi range, I know I will be getting more of the same so it's safe.

I have had the chance to listen to the Orbe, the Hyperspace, and the Well Tempered, and wouldn't really change the Scout for any of them (with the poss exception of the WT). They seem to do things differey, but whether it's an improvement I simply cannot tell.

In the meantime, I've bought a load of new vinyl (far better purchase) and it's like listening to different albums compared with my trusty silver discs! Ray Of Light is funny - so that's how much bass William Orbit really put on the recording :D

merlin, Dec 1, 2004
  5. merlin

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Michael (Merlin),

What arm & cartridge was on the Nottingham deck you heard? This may have a bearing on what you you heard. Also with your deck up for sale, do have something lined up? My money is on another VPI turntable.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 1, 2004
  6. merlin

merlin

Hi Dean,

It was fitted with their own arm (not sure which) and a Grado cart.

To be honest, the Vpi sounded far more open and alive to my ears, although the Scout doesn't seem to have quite the bass weight. Going to listen to some others tomorrow hopefully, along with some nice SET's
    :D

One of my clients has a Goldmund Reference for sale, but it looks rather OTT for my needs :D I reckon you might be right on the Vpi front ;) I do want to hear some others though. I always remember the first time I heard an LP12 back in about 1984. I want to get that feeling of incredulity again.

merlin, Dec 1, 2004
  7. merlin

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Michael,

Goldmund Reference. Very Interesting. Only 300 made. I have heard one at a hifi show in the 80s. Worth a listen.

[​IMG]

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 1, 2004
  8. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Now being remade by Rolf Kelch (photos here )
    Yours for the bagatelle of around 25K quid. We spotted a non-functioning one at the Tokyo show (it was quite hard to miss, actually). Very impressive. Naturally, the originals are big in Japan.

joel, Dec 1, 2004
  9. merlin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I dont really know what level of benefit the wave mechanic power supply has Ants.

I have only ever heard my deck with the additional power supply, as I dont have a wall wart to try instead.

1000 or 1100 for a mentor (even without arm) is amazing value (they are 4,500 when new). Id expect the one on e-bay to end up around 1500 - although it appears to be different to mine. I dont know what those funny cylindrical things are. Anyone? I know mine was a late one, so perhaps thats what the earlier ones look like. If it doesnt come with the arm-board you want thats a fair bit extra too..

Mike - if you like a light and fluffy airy type of presentation, the NAS decks might not be for you. They major on rock solid stability, silence and deep bass, but not necessarily bouncy sounding. A less massy deck might be more up your street. As dean said, perhaps the cart or arm wasnt to your liking, but theres hardly a shortage of good decks to hear! :)

PS
    Have you got some quality vinyl as well as that flat old bat madge?

bottleneck, Dec 1, 2004
  10. merlin

Markus S Trade

Rolf Kelch resurrects the Thorens Reference, not the Goldmund one. Very different beasts.

Markus S, Dec 2, 2004
  11. merlin

joel Shaman of Signals

Oops, you are absolutely right.
    Could you elaborate on the differences, Markus?
    Can we assume that the pricing strategy is not too dissimilar...

joel, Dec 2, 2004
  12. merlin

merlin

Nowt wrong with Madge and our William :mad:

I've bought some good stuff recently as Robbo can confirm :D

And yes I do have some Allison Krauss ;)

I can't see the point of buying shedloads of vinyl, I just wouldn't play most of it. I'm sticking with stuff I know, so that will be dub, dub, more dub, and a bit of Elvis :D

As for something to play them on, I must admit to liking a bit of bounce. Off to listen to some today so will report back this eve.

merlin, Dec 2, 2004
  13. merlin

merlin

Chris, Walrus are now off my list of potential suppliers and on my list of up their own arse, arrogant, antiquated HiFi Dealers :mad:

Knobs come to mind! The contrast with Definitve could not be greater. I'd rather pay extra at Definitive or Noteworthy than deal with arrogant high end muppets like Walrus.

Rant over. Let's hope their landlord puts the rent up :D

merlin, Dec 6, 2004
  14. merlin

Markus S Trade

i.e. they weren't going to give you 30% off?

Markus S, Dec 6, 2004
  15. merlin

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I had no difficulty with Walrus - got a discount, very long demo and lots of long chats with Les!
    Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them..
    Time of the month perhaps ;):D

leonard smalls, Dec 6, 2004
  16. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

maybe they just didn't like the fussy wizard :)

analoguekid, Dec 6, 2004
  17. merlin

merlin

Never asked Markus, simply stated that I was interested in any second hand or ex demonstration tt's that they had. Was told in a demeaning manner that they tend to sell new turntables and didn't have anything that would be of interest to me - maybe I should try the classifieds :rolleyes:

Wouldn't mind but 30% of their f**king website is devoted to s/h and ex dem so what's with the attitude? If you have a sore head on a Monday morning, get someone else to answer the phone FFS :mad:

These guys must be making a fortune if they can afford to be rude to potential clients.

merlin, Dec 6, 2004
  18. merlin

sideshowbob Trisha

I've heard a few grumbles about Walrus. I'm a regular and they've always given me great service, are happy to lend stuff out for extended periods, flexible on price, and friendly, but I get the feeling they're a bit shy and don't seem to encourage new business. In fact, the opposite. Which is odd. They seem to make a living though.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 6, 2004
  19. merlin

merlin

Ian, you are anything BUT 'regular', still nice to know I'm not the only one to take umbrage.

So that narrows my choice down quite a bit :D As it's going on a wall shelf, I don't want anything too big (Vpi TNT) or with long bits of string and motors in another room (Verdier)

So favourites are:

SME20.2 with SME V

Vpi Scoutmaster with SDS and Upgraded motor/JMW9 arm

Well Tempered Ref or Signature

Kuzma Ref (not heard one yet) with ??? arm

Obviously the middle two have the advantage of being less expensive which would allow for a rather good cartridge as well.

merlin, Dec 6, 2004
  20. merlin

Snoopdog

These guys must be making a fortune if they can afford to be rude to potential clients.[/QUOTE]

Mike,

It certainly works for BB!

Snoopdog, Dec 6, 2004
Ask a Question