Top Analogue Set Up?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Nov 23, 2004.

1. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

'snot that ugly, but then again it aint exactly pretty either, bet it sounds good though, just been listening to my new TT with the ShureV15, Fcuk me with phon stage and mods cost around £1200 would easily see off most £3k cd players, great dynamics and bass is very good, good soundstage, very nice top, My cdp shits allover it for texture and is way better at the hifi stuff, but given the fact the Tt costs a quarter of the CD then it's closer than it has any right to be, and it's good been listening to michelle shocked, frankie, django, alan parsons, santana, T'pau. all these old records that I've not heard for years, Bought the Tt as secondary source and thought I'd play it a few times a week, but reckon it's gonna get a fair share of the action, didn't sound so good at 47k setting though so have set (for those that know the project phonoboxse) jumpers 5-8 on 1-4 off, 47k is 7 and 8 only but it is very quiet at that setting and lacks dynamics, using jumpers five and six(not one of the standard settings) gives it balanced cd like volume, is this normal?

Boy do I regret geting ridd of my old vinyl sold or gave away most of it in the eighties and am left with the stuff I wanted to keep or that noone wanted.

FWIW i reckon the albums that were mastered with analogue in mind are better than they are on early cd copies, before they discovered what makes redbook tick, they just copied over what is and it sound s comaratively thin as was originally balanced not taking brick wall digi filters into the equation, oh and no bloody compression as with so many "pop" albums today.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2004
    analoguekid, Dec 9, 2004
  2. merlin

merlin

Glad you are enjoying your new toy AK :)

I was the same TBH. All digital guy finally realised what I was missing and publicly ate humble pie :eek:

FWIW, the Scout murders even the best CD players I have heard for conveying the musical message and colour. And it is those qualities that makes it so addictive to me. Heaven knows what the Scoutmaster will give me in addition!

I also sold my prized vinyl collection lured by the promise of CD in the eighties. But even modern recordings seem to benefit from the analogue treatment. Listen to the 180g Ray Of Light and it's like listening to a whole new album :)

merlin, Dec 9, 2004
  3. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah but why didn't ***'s analogue setup sound like that. :)

analoguekid, Dec 9, 2004
  4. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

Don't regret getting cd's and they stiil have the edge, even on a like for like basis, even if it's only for convinience, went upstairs yesterday and left deck running, came down to find needle in run out area, so cd's for most things but vinyl is not as bad as I remembered from my youth, best to have both IMnewO :D

analoguekid, Dec 9, 2004
Ask a Question