Turntables...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006.

1. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

I have a German deck, is that bad??

penance, Jan 6, 2006
  2. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Nope german decks are some of the finest - and some say THE finest - in the world. What have you got?

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  3. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

The new PSU is "computerised" (whatever that means! - I guess it has some sort of microprocessor) and reacts much faster than the old one to speed fluctuations. Yes, it's retrofittable; contact SME for details.

BBV, I just want one. I like its looks, the fact that it is black, rather than all that shiny bling you see around. It is an object of desire for me, I've fancied one for years, and had a recent financial windfall. The Brinkmann just doesn't interest me at all, what with its heated bearing nonsense, etc. TBH, I'd never heard of Brinkmann until very recently, when you started going on about it, whereas SME are rather better-known in hi-fi circles.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  4. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

A Scheu Premier, waiting on some parts before its all set to go. I'm also in the process of finishing a decent powersupply for it.
    I'll Let it settle for a while when its up and going, then maybe a new arm or cart (currently a DV10x5 on a rewired RB300 with tecno weight).

Oh, and i also have to sort a decent wall shelf to hold the 18kilo mamoth.

penance, Jan 6, 2006
  5. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Opinions vary.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  6. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

Bub,
    It certainly looks remarkably well made, and as you say it looks the business too.
    I imagine the PSU might use some sort of tacho feedback to monitor and adjust speed. The Scheu has similar, but uses a PLL motor which means it is dealt with in the motor itself.

penance, Jan 6, 2006
  7. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

The Model 20/2 A is the one I'm going for. Bit of a long wait, but I'm patient.

Nice and small, too.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  8. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Thats the opinion on the sme website and hardly an unbiased sample. Once upon a time you wouldnt consider changing the lp12 and now look where we are!

SME are a well established company. Its only in recent years that Brinkmann has a reputation outside germany but that in no means invalidates his approach to turntable design just because he is not as well known. A heated bearing is a perfectly valid engineering approach - you are just fishing. Wont work :p

Currently you havent heard either deck - so lets wait and see. At least you are honest looks and marketing appeal strongly to you. Respect due for that. If only SM was as honest!

Penance - I have never heard that deck - how does it sound?

BTW I like sme kit a lot - I owned an sme v for many years. You might want to listen to the simon yorke pod webcast link I posted as a thread. He has a lot to say about sme decks that is interesting! Even he is a fan of their tonearms though.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  9. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

IS the sme a dc motor? If so it may have tacho or emf feedback (like the brinkmann psu).

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  10. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

Why a long wait?

I too will be interested in your opinion of the SME.

penance, Jan 6, 2006
  11. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

bbv,
    Its not running yet, waiting for a spacer to lift my arm for the 80mm platter.

penance, Jan 6, 2006
  12. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Aw... write up a review as well.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  13. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

"Judged by Germany's AUDIO 'the best turntable of all time'".

Anyway, a Brinkmann owner, and Simon Yorke, are hardly unbiased, particularly you!

penance, they are made to order, and take a while to build, then they have to run them for a while at the factory.

Looks, yes. Reviews, definitely. The SME decks get fantastic reviews, consistently.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  14. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

That award is a while before the BLG I bet. At least I have heard these decks... the proof the pudding will be when you actually taste it! I wouldnt be surprised if you end up keeping the lp12. So does big brother :p

Anyway ... the local curry house beckons and my friends are on their way. I will stop by later and hope things are still civil!

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  15. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Why is it so important to you that your deck is "the best"? Don't you understand that there is no such thing?

Maybe I will keep the LP12, who knows? It's a great deck, too.

Yes, but I don't trust your judgement against the weight of evidence elsewhere. You are the only person who sounds a sour note wrt the SME. Every other opinion I have ever read is strongly favourable.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
  16. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

Bub, I hope the wait is worth it, i am sure it will be.
    Please write up your findings, I know it wont be a mag review from you, but worth writing none the less.

BBV, i will let people know my opinions on the deck, tho i dont have experience of many decks in my own system. It has to be better than my cobbled DIY effort i have at the moment.

penance, Jan 6, 2006
  17. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I havent said my deck is the best - everyone likes something different. The deck I recommended to you isnt even one I own! No need to get defensive - its just hifi. The sme is a great deck. But it isnt perfect and I am not the only one to say it. No deck is perfect BTW. I dont wish to sound any sour note but there are always other options. I look forward to your opinion when you hear the deck.

Penance - I look forward to it!

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  18. anon_bb

lordsummit moderate mod

Definitely it will be a huge change from the Ninja having heard the SME recently. It will be interesting which you prefer. It's strange isn't it whenever you pick a piece of kit because you like it it becomes the best, and somebody else's preferences aren't as good. I believe that's the testosterone talking.
    Anyhow, I'll have to organise with Tony bringing those phono stages up, that might put a few things in the mixer.
    Hope you don't have to wait too long for your new toy.
    Any other changes planned?

lordsummit, Jan 6, 2006
  19. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

What phono stages are you trying out LS?

You are absolutely right about the hormones.

anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006
  20. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

No, nothing else planned at the moment. The Ninja is sounding so good that I am beginning to wonder what I'm doing, tbh. It's a lot quieter than any other LP12 I've heard.

I think the SME will arrive in February.

The Devil, Jan 6, 2006
Ask a Question