Upsampling bad?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Garmt, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Garmt

dcathro

Chris,

If YOU are happy with your system then GREAT, but I could not live with it.

Dave

dcathro, Sep 23, 2005
  2. Garmt

ChrisPa

Can you explain this a bit more please

Ta.

ChrisPa, Sep 23, 2005
  3. Garmt

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Not really without going to a great length. Think aboutr it this way, an ASRC will determine the ratio between output and input sample and will use that ratio to look up the conversion. If the input frequency varies then the looked up conversion will be not quiet accurate for that sample.

Thinking about an ASRC as perfect D2A coversion followed by another A2D conversion using a completly seperate clock (eg somewhat similar to running the signal analogue into a tape machine). The first D2A conversion embedded the jitter in the signal, unremovable. The second conversion will use a local, low jitter clock, but it cannot do anything about the jitter already present.

By comparison using reclocking based on a suitable clock linked to the input clock but with a very low lowpass corner frequency will simply eliminate the jitter, without altering the signal whatsoever.

Not sure if that clarifies or muddies things.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Sep 24, 2005
  4. Garmt

technobear Ursine Audiophile

How do you know? You haven't heard it! :rolleyes:

It's not 'uber hifi'. I would be bored otherwise. It's a very musical system, a subtle blend of all that's good about home audio ;)

technobear, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Garmt

Stereo Mic

Three filters stored on DSP so you have a choice. I love the thing. Colloms still uses his as a reference. I find it gets to the heart of the music. The only other place you can get the double crown TDA's appears to be the Zanden! For a long time, the CD7 has been the only player I could live with next to a vinyl rig, it seems to possess similar communication skills.

Why the f*** would you want to mod a classic? Even the freebie interconnects seem to work better than some highly esotecric models. KI spent a lot of time getting this one right. I would only add a quality kettle lead and sit back to enjoy the music.

Stereo Mic, Sep 24, 2005
  6. Garmt

dcathro

The double crown is almost irrelevant (Try hearing the difference to a single crown). Martin Colloms has modified the s**t out of his.

If it is so right, then why does removing all the silmics from the output stage improve it?

dcathro, Sep 24, 2005
  7. Garmt

dcathro

Chris,

I have not heard 'YOUR' system, but I have heard the different components. I am not trying to belittle your choices, but you are arguing that bitstream and Up Sampling are fine for rhythm. My question is, have you heard a system that IS Good at portraying rhythm. Are you sure you are not a blind man giving directions? :D

dcathro, Sep 24, 2005
  8. Garmt

Stereo Mic

All of course in your very humble opinion.

I don't do mods, they are generally IMO a total waste of money and time. Why buy some thing and try to make it different? Why not buy something you like in the first place? And don't give me the improvement line because all I hear with mods is changes not improvements, not from a musical point of view anyway.

Garmt,

if you are interested in a fit and forget CD spinner, give the CD7 a whirl, I have compared it to most of the current range topping products and would not change despite the funds being available.

Stereo Mic, Sep 24, 2005
  9. Garmt

dcathro

I do buy something I like in the first place. You have to start with something that works, there is no point in trying to modify a Sony.

It is not a matter of making it different, it is a matter of preserving and enhacing what you like about it in the first place.

There are limtations on what a manufacturer can and must do within his economic and regulatory constraints. For example all CD players must have (as part of the redbook specification) de-emphasis circuitry. This is because in the first days of CD some (I believe mainly Japanese) CD manufacturers put high freq emphasis on the CD's as part of overcoming some of the then sonic limitations. I have 600 CD's, and non of them have any emphasis, yet the de-emphasis circuit is quite intrusive. The manufacturer has to put it in, but I can take it out.

For £200 I can add an external power supply, that the manufacturer would have charged me £2000.

The manufacturer is also limited in his part choice for simple economic reasons. I agree great care has to be taken, because each part was still chosen for its sonic contribution. This is where many people go wrong. Most people who do mods simply remove all the cheap parts and replace them in bulk with the most expensive or best they can find. In my experience, each and every single part has to be listened to in turn. E.g. sometimes a NP Black Gate will work a treat, and other times it sounds awful, with the original part sounding better.

It takes many many hours to improve a product, though with experience there are some almost universal changes that are quite quick.
    Well if you have not tried, then you will never know, but I can understand your reluctance. It is far easier to make something worse or break it than it is to improve it. I have broken (blown up) and ruined quite a few things in my time :D

Regards

David

dcathro, Sep 24, 2005
  10. Garmt

eric_audio

Thank you for the explanation. Finally I seem to understand it a little. I needed obviously this Discovery Channel level...

eric_audio, Sep 24, 2005
  11. Garmt

zanash

Thanks too....

zanash, Sep 25, 2005
Ask a Question