What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Joolsburger

The Devil IHTFP

True. There's loads of bad hi-fi out there. Price is no guarantee of quality.

The Devil, Aug 13, 2004
  2. Joolsburger

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I've NEVER heard this track sound awful - except on a CD12/ATC actives system (hint - it's not the ATCs' fault!).

Oh - if a system can play "Things can only get better" by Howard Jones (has to be off of "Dream into action", first or second CD press though) without your ears screaming for mercy from the brillo pad treble, caused by the 99p 1980 Binatone ADC they used to master it, it's doing something right :)

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2004
  3. Joolsburger

Bradders

Seems there's few issues here, all being lumped in as 'bad recordings'. There's the recording & original production, then there's the quality of the pressing and then there's remasters/repressings.

If we assume that you're listening to an original pressing then I'd say there are very few bad recordings out there, there are lots of 'amazing' sounding records where the recording/production/pressing are all spot on; these recordings will sound good on any system.

If your system sounds amazing with 25% of your collection, average with 50% and shite with 25%, then it's not the recordings, it's your system that's shit.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2004
    Bradders, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Joolsburger

No. Borrow FOUR, and use them as a cheap alternative to Linn Skeets/Naim Chips under the spikes of the Mana - hopefully at a ridiculously high phase, so the CDs explode under the weight!

Abba did, do and always WILL suck. I hate them! There's maybe 3 tracks worthwhile, and the rest is sonic torture.

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Joolsburger

The Devil IHTFP

I have the first two Oasis albums on vinyl - first pressings. The first one sounds sensationally good, the second perhaps a little less so, but still good.

Try "Elephant" by The White Stripes, or "The big come up" by The Black Keys for a similar 'live gig' feel.

The Devil, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Joolsburger

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

James agreed with the White strips sounds Fooking good (all that 40% valve feedback), but the Oasis one is shite (CD) in no uncertain terms, I only have 3 cd's I won't play due to how naff there are, the other 2 really are mastered appallingly.

wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Joolsburger

The Devil IHTFP

Give the black keys a go, Tony. Recommended.

The Devil, Aug 13, 2004
  8. Joolsburger

James,

Very daja' Vu' I was in Virgin this morning (scary I've bouight 26 cd's in the 2 weeks :eek: ) and the in store radio was mentioning their new ? album? I'll drop and get some later cheers Tone

9. Joolsburger

joel Shaman of Signals

This is very wrong. Most people on here listen to a fairly narrow range of music, that is produced for comfortable reproduction in a BMW and is probably OK if you don't listen closely. However, there are any number of truely awful recordings out there.
    Mastering and manufacturing QC are another matter entirely.

joel, Aug 13, 2004
  10. Joolsburger

"Elephant" on CD is one of the most musical CDs I have...

...I also have it on vinyl; let's just say - easily 100% better than the CD. It raaaaawks, man. And it only cost about £12k to make IIRC - 8 track analog open reel and valve desks - nice.

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2004
  11. Joolsburger

The Devil IHTFP

Joel,

Yr sstm s crp.

The Devil, Aug 13, 2004
  12. Joolsburger

Bradders

I listen to classical, rock, metal, pop, country/folk, jazz, hip hop - I don't have any records that are unlistenable and only a couple I'd class as being badly recorded. Some of the pop stuff produced for kids/clowns may suck, production wise - I don't put that sort of stuff on my system so I can't really comment.

Re 'Elephant' - yep it sounds amazing. It's not a particularly complicated album though and the more stripped down you get in terms of what you're recording, usually the better/more realistic, IME/IMHO, etceterah, etceterah.

Bradders, Aug 13, 2004
  13. Joolsburger

joel Shaman of Signals

My point exactly.
    Bub:
    and you' e a de f o d gi so we're e en

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2004
    joel, Aug 13, 2004
  14. Joolsburger

Bradders

When discussing actual music of any relevance/merit, I'd say there are very few bad recordings out there.

Bradders, Aug 13, 2004
  15. Joolsburger

PBirkett VTEC Addict

So what does not have any musical relevance/merit IYO?

PBirkett, Aug 13, 2004
  16. Joolsburger

Saab

Cheeky Girls maybe?

Saab, Aug 13, 2004
  17. Joolsburger

THis all boils down to invidual point of reference, (music aside), what I conside unlistenable (Sound reproduction wise) will be different from Joel/Merlin/Robbo/JU/Saab/Iaasc.
    And most ££££ systems are unlistenable because of their presenation, not because it sounds naff (though to me presenation of music preformance is as bad :D )

18. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

"If your system sounds amazing with 25% of your collection, average with 50% and shite with 25%, then it's not the recordings, it's your system that's shit."

I love this kind of constructive comment it gives me faith in my fellow man.

Joolsburger, Aug 13, 2004
  19. Joolsburger

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

What is a bad recording in the context of rock or pop? I'm really curious as to what people are complaining about here as IMHO there quite simply is no 'right'. Recording technique is an artistic and purely subjective choice made by the band and producer – it is naïve in the extreme to assume they were after a 'realistic' sound.

I notice people are using Elephant by The White Stripes as an example of a 'good recording' – I have no argument, I love it. At the other extreme I'm currently listening to The Plateau Phase by Crispy Ambulance, it is very processed and atmospheric, loads of effects on everything; the drums, voice and guitar don't sound 'natural' in any way, yet it is exactly right for the music. It simply would not work as well if it was as 'honest' as Elephant.

Half Man Half Biscuit are another great example – I was actually in the room when many of the tracks on their first album were recorded. As can be heard many 'mistakes' were made (mains hum / dodgy erase head on the deck / cheap mics etc), yet it is IMHO utterly brilliant. The kak-handedness of the recording enhances it. It just works with the music.

I honestly don't think I have anything that I would classify as a truly 'bad' recording (ok, I certainly wouldn't describe Yinferanodgie by Archbishop Kebab as a 'good' recording…). Certainly there are many I would have been interested to hear mixed in a different way out of curiosity, but 'bad' is far too strong a word.

Tony.

TonyL, Aug 13, 2004
  20. Joolsburger

joel Shaman of Signals

One that comes to mind is the Diary of Alicia Keys. This is an album that has some good ideas, but which has had the life squeezed out of it.
    I have quite a few field recordings made by ethnomusicologists with handheld mics which are, shall we say, technically flawed. The music is absolutely fabulous, though.
    I agree that there is no absolute right or wrong, but some approaches can be self-defeating.
    YMG now playing :)

joel, Aug 14, 2004
Ask a Question