What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Joolsburger

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well my PC player has an EQ and my amp has tone controls, so can I join team "crap hifi" ? :D

PBirkett, Aug 16, 2004
  2. Joolsburger

michaelab desafinado

Re: the Chesky disc. I have to disagree. I have a copy (CD-R from António's original) of Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disc and I find the recordings on there to be simply awesome. I've rarely heard anything so realistic and lifelike on any other CD - if only more recordings were made like that :(

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 16, 2004
  3. Joolsburger

joel Shaman of Signals

Welcome abord 'bro :)

joel, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Joolsburger

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, that's the one. If you think that that sounds 'good' compared with normal music, your system is very badly-farked. The 'music' is crap as well as the sound.

I burnt a copy of this execrable disc, and can demonstrate just how bad it is with a simple A-B.

The Devil, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Joolsburger

Paul Ranson

A-B against what?

I am intrigued by the idea of 'holographic imaging' in audio though, I wonder what that sounds like?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I think my original point still stands several pages later. I have been listening some more (I am undergoing some kind of lost record collection revival) and there's no doubt in my mind that given a crap recording the sound is not as good as a good recording. Frankly I'm amazed that anyone would say crap recordings don't exist.

Citing a few simply recorded albums just reinforces the point.

Joolsburger, Aug 16, 2004
  7. Joolsburger

julian2002 Muper Soderator

bub, surely with all that angle iron under your kit ANY disk should sound smashing? guess you'll just have to buy jw a new ferrari in order to get it to sound good then won;t you?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 16, 2004
  8. Joolsburger

sideshowbob Trisha

Dalek I, takes me back. I'd chuck Compass on the TT now if it was working...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 16, 2004
  9. Joolsburger

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ian, its Monday, the shops have been open all day - you've got no excuse dude!

:D

nb
    you could try some silly tweaks to extend rubber belts if you're so inclined.

The patented ''hairspray on the rubber band'' (Patent No: CSS2004) has been used by ... well nobody probably :D

bottleneck, Aug 16, 2004
  10. Joolsburger

sideshowbob Trisha

My excuse is that I've been at work all day, and there's no shops selling Michell belts anywhere in the vicinity of the office, which is where I am all week.

Tomorrow I'll see if Walrus have one, I did email Michell but I think they're all on holiday. Let's hope it's just the belt and nothing more serious.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Aug 16, 2004
  11. Joolsburger

PBirkett VTEC Addict

So am I.

PBirkett, Aug 16, 2004
  12. Joolsburger

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i think the point is that crap recordings exist but a good system means that they are still good to listen to. you can look past the faults and hear what the artist intended even though there's no bass / treble or some twunt has added faux vinyl crackle over the track. a lesser system will excell with some recordings and not with others.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 16, 2004
  13. Joolsburger

michaelab desafinado

You have to get past the rather naff titles they have for the tracks and the cheesy voice that introduces each track and just listen to the (real) pieces of music that apparently illustrate each point of hifi. Forget about that and just listen to the music - it's great.

Bub - thanks for your insightful analysis of my system. Perhaps if the Chesky disc sounds crap on your system I might venture that it's your system that's farked, not mine. Normal music discs sound just fine on my system btw.

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 17, 2004
  14. Joolsburger

The Devil IHTFP

A-B against a real piece of music from a real well-recorded CD.

'Holographic imaging' in audio sounds like crap, Paul.

The Devil, Aug 17, 2004
  15. Joolsburger

michaelab desafinado

All the music tracks on the Chesky CD are real pieces of music, exceptionally well recorded. Artists like Rebecca Pidgeon, Monty Norman and many others.

The music chosen for this particular track is The Westminster Choir performing Benjamin Britten's Festival Te Deum at the Cathedral Church of St Mary the Virgin. The introduction states that it was recorded with a single (stereo I presume) microphone ontop of a 35ft tall mic. boom and the choir was positioned in a high loft above the pews.

This is all supposed to make you be able to visualise the huge cathedral space of the music and "put you there". I have to say, it does a pretty good job.

I have another recording of Britten's Festival Te Deum, by the choir of St. John's College Cambridge in their chapel, it's a Naxos recording. Now the two recordings couldn't be more different. In the St John's one you can definitely hear many things more clearly, you can't hear the hiss of the organ pump, there's virtually no reverb from the chapel and everything is crystal clear. It was probably recorded with dozens of mics. However, it might as well have been recorded in a studio for all the impression it gives you of a live event. The Chesky recording actually sounds like being inside a huge cathedral where the Te Deum is being performed and in that respect is, IMO, infinitely the better recording.

Incidentally, I've heard this recording on many systems (lowrider's and WM's to name just two) and it sounds just as breathtaking on all of them.

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 17, 2004
  16. Joolsburger

The Devil IHTFP

Having never been on top of a 35 foot microphone boom in a church, I cannot comment further.

The Devil, Aug 17, 2004
  17. Joolsburger

Paul Ranson

That would seem to defeat the object, in this particular instance.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 17, 2004
  18. Joolsburger

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

James, I would have thought that would have been a down reach from your upper most level of mana :)

wadia-miester, Aug 17, 2004
  19. Joolsburger

joel Shaman of Signals

Excellent. 35 foot must be, what, stage 20 or so. Still a way to go, eh, Bub ;)

joel, Aug 17, 2004
  20. Joolsburger

PeteH Natural Blue

Have you been in John's chapel? It's not terribly big (in the scheme of things) and does have a reasonably clear acoustic IIRC.

PeteH, Aug 17, 2004
Ask a Question