where to find cd player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, Nov 14, 2005.

1. JackOTrades

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

yep, hen's teeth.

do you mean it cuts a few seconds from long tracks, or long cd's (over 72 minutes or something?)

Does this mean I can buy yours at a substantial discount? :D

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Nov 21, 2005
  2. JackOTrades

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

leonard smalls, Nov 21, 2005
  3. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

badchamp,

the consonance sounds like a very good option. is the one in the picture the one you say has these characteristics? Any idea where i can get an audition of this cd player in London?

crobo,
    excelent to know that. especially since you use the same amp as me. very valuable info. i tend to avoid MF gear new because they lose a lot of value as MF keeps releasing new kit. still, they are pretty good. i was thinking of auditioning perhaps the A3.2 as it pairs with the amp (or maybe even the older A3 if the difference isnt that great). this is if i can't find what i am looking for. i wonder if the differences between a player at this level and one like the CD2 will be that significant... law of diminishing returns i guess... i have to find out if it is indeed worth the extra money...

This is especially true as I am getting more and more into vinyl and perhaps i'll spend less on the digital front-end and leave a bit more for the analogue side of things... this is what has been playing in my mind recently...

SteveC thanks that's a really good point.
    Dynamic Turtle I absolutely love the speakers, they are just amazing. I have a Rel Strata III backing them up for the lower freqs and I can't really see myself moving away from this setup.

Thanks for the tip on the Maestro. I'll dig some more on it.

And it is not just the S500 that seems virtually impossible to find. Bel Canto DAC2, Benchmark DAC1 (missed Lefty's one), ARC CD2, Electrocompaniet, 508.24... can't find any of them. Neither can I find a spacedeck for sale in the classifieds... :(

Still, I will persevere... :)
    Cheers everyone for your invaluable help.

Jack

JackOTrades, Nov 21, 2005
  4. JackOTrades

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

It cuts long CDs (yes over 72 min.)

No ;) (or maybe when hens have teeth)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
    Sir Galahad, Nov 21, 2005
  5. JackOTrades

crobo

Hello Jack,

Agree with your remarks about the never ending MF releases - still if something is good it's good. Lesson is if buying MF be prepared to keep it for a while or else take a bath on trade-in. :mad:

I had an Arcam CD82T before the MF A5 player and I also listened to the A3.2 CD at that time. Have to say I didn't like it at all. Seemed to have a harsh glossy sheen across the music. Thought the Arcam much more neutral and enjoyable. Having said that, I thought the A5 CD a quantum improvement over the Arcam - hence my decision to part with $A4K.

BTW - the A3.2 remote won't control the A5 CD despite the two remotes being almost identical looking. Bastards!

Best to go and annoy some dealers and listen to as many things as possible. Home dem is best but if not possible, take your amp with you.

Good hunting

crobo, Nov 23, 2005
  6. JackOTrades

badchamp Thermionic Member

Jack,

Dunno about the consonance but I was offering my CAL Dac if you want to try it out as we're both in London. Its got a lovely rich musical sound (both Chris - Bottleneck and Adam use one). You can also tailor the sound to some extent with the flavour of the tubes.

Cheers
    Jeff

badchamp, Nov 23, 2005
  7. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Guys thanks a lot for the suggestions, I am mulling over these and thinking what I will do in terms of sources... maybe will spend less on a CD player upgrade and get a better turntable (as my main listening is classical from vinyl).

Badchamp it is really very kind of you to offer, and perhaps I will PM you and take you up on your offer. I know xmas is coming so this is perhaps not a good time to be pestering. Also as I said I am not sure i will spend much on a cd player given my latest thoughts...

Will be nice to get together sometime regardless and talk about this sweet vice that is hifi if you want.

Cheers,
    Jack

JackOTrades, Nov 30, 2005
Ask a Question