Yet another bold claim...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BerylliumDust, Nov 15, 2004.

1. BerylliumDust

penance Arrogant Cock

Dont be so damn arrogant!
    You are making yourself look like a spoilt brat. And i dont care what colour paper TD uses to wipe your ass.

penance, Nov 18, 2004
  2. BerylliumDust

merlin

With regards to the latter statement, NO! True realism is when you are at the recording venue with the musicians.

With regards to the former statement, it is quite possibly the most ignorant quote yet made on ZG so congratulations there hombre :rolleyes: If this is the level of coversation on the Portuguese forum, can we join in? Do you own a Harley?

merlin, Nov 18, 2004
  3. BerylliumDust

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I do believe we have a contender for naim arragance of the year award, gentlemen I give BD my nomination for this award, do I hear a seconder?

wadia-miester, Nov 18, 2004
  4. BerylliumDust

BerylliumDust WATCH OUT!!!

Finally you nailed it...

I'm completely deaf, I use a dog (Mutley is his name) to guide me through the mysteries of sound...

But I am happy, so why bother... shup up Mutley... ok, ok... yes Mutley time to go home!

Cheers!

BerylliumDust, Nov 18, 2004
  5. BerylliumDust

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

chill out folks!

BD wants to pick an amp on its null test performance, and is enjoying the result.

He thinks that way, and is sticking to it.

Good for him for being true to his opinions.

We may have difference performance criteria, and if we do common ground is unlikely.

No need for harsh words.

bottleneck, Nov 18, 2004
  6. BerylliumDust

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

But I am home odd dust sniffer, do I get a bone now?

wadia-miester, Nov 18, 2004
  7. BerylliumDust

PeteH Natural Blue

One of my pet hates is the use of far-too-close-miking for solo instruments in orchestral recordings, which leads to a totally unrealistic ultra-pin-sharp position in the stereo image because, of course, the reflections just get swamped. It's nothing to do with the hifi kit, of course - it's the fault of the occasional over-zealous balance engineer who thinks the composer's orchestration and the conductor's musical ear need a helping hand to bring out the "important" bits.

PeteH, Nov 18, 2004
  8. BerylliumDust

ditton happy old soul

does 'end of tether' constitute objective criterion for close of thread?

There was one apparent sense of consensus that if perfection were not possible, then all deprivation (lack of perfection) is relative.

All that said, I recommended to someone keen to upgrade from an NAD receiver that they home demo the Rotel 1062. I didnt mention anything aboit a null test, however.

edit: this thread is getting interesting again ....

ditton, Nov 18, 2004
  9. BerylliumDust

merlin

Chris,

In this case, the term ignorant is not harsh, merely a statement of fact.

I cannot think of another word to describe complete ignorance of the principles of stereo imaging.

merlin, Nov 18, 2004
  10. BerylliumDust

oedipus

If your going to argue accuracy, then why oh why, are you wittering on about amplifiers, which by any realistic measure (and operating within spec) cause next to no distortion compared to the speakers to which they are connected.

The only significant sources of distortion in CD playback systems: the recording; the speaker; the room. period, full stop, end of sentance.

The amplifiers you mention cannot do the things your claiming even if you have happened upon a miracle speaker and room combination - even then, the amplifier has a negligible part to play. Might I suggest you have a vivid imagination..

BTW, if you read books - actually research papers and journals - beyond the scope of electrical engineering you would know that the serious R&D effort is being expended on how speakers and rooms interact, and that amplifiers and cd players are considered solved problems...

oedipus, Nov 18, 2004
  11. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

Excellent post oedipus :)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 18, 2004
  12. BerylliumDust

merlin

But Oedipus, BD claims the Dynaudios are capable of 120db at less than 1% THD across the spectrum ;)

merlin, Nov 18, 2004
  13. BerylliumDust

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Well, just to throw Mutley a bone ...

Back when Ted Jordan and Doreen Bance were still married, Ted demonstrated some early Jordan 2" drivers to me. They went down to about 200Hz and he had them four per side in a mini-vertical array.

He used to toe them in so that they crossed in front of the sofa. That way, you would get a really good soundstage across quite a wide seating position. It never sounded quite right to me though, probably because the high frequencies dropped too much for my taste when listened to off-axis.

Regarding the comments about imagery and soundstaging from amplifiers, I will admit that there are many strange things out there. It's life Jim but ...

7_V, Nov 18, 2004
  14. BerylliumDust

sideshowbob Trisha

Mine does that too, with "some records". I've heard other systems do it too, some much better than mine in that respect. I don't think the amplifier passing a null test has much to do with it, but if it works for you fair enough. No need to be so evangelical about it though.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 18, 2004
  15. BerylliumDust

analoguekid Planet Rush

hey mutley miester can we have Dr Mana back, he had a guru with a svengali like hold over him too, although his mentor was welsh, but a least he was entertaining.

analoguekid, Nov 18, 2004
  16. BerylliumDust

Tenson Moderator

AK, what's ur sig from? ..or did you make it up? :eek: It's good, if it's a song, I'd like to hear it! Somehow it reminds me of Weird Al.

Tenson, Nov 19, 2004
  17. BerylliumDust

analoguekid Planet Rush

Tenson it's from a Rush song, called "You Bet Your Life" from "Roll The Bones" fantastic band, if you've not heard them you really should give them a listen, if you send me you email addy I'll send you an mp3 of this one, about 6.7 meg 192KHz, so need addyt with big inbox, this is probably one of the tightest rockbands ever, got their own unique style been around since the late 60's first album 1973 or so lots and lots since then, of course you may know this, they also happen to have about the best drummer ever, IMO. Neil Peart, slighty better than even the mighty Billy Cobham.

analoguekid, Nov 19, 2004
  18. BerylliumDust

analoguekid Planet Rush

Tenson you like clever lyrics, this from same writer as above, Drummer from rush Neil Peart, "The Proffessor"

Theres a snake coming out of the darkness
    parade from paradise
    end the need for eden
    chase the dreams of merchandise

There is tic and toc in atomic
    leaders make a deal
    the cosmic is largely comic
    a con they couldn't conceal

There is no safe seat at the feast
    take your best stab at the beast
    The night is turning thin
    the saint is turning to sin

raise the art to resistance
    danger dare to be grand
    pride reduced to humble pie
    diamonds down to sand

take heart from earth and weather
    the brightness of new birth
    take heart from the harvest
    shave the harvest from the earth

Reasoning is partly insane
    Image just an eyeless game
    the night is turning thin
    the saint is turning to sin

Miracles will have their claimers
    more will bow to Rome
    he and she are in the house
    but theres on me at home

Rose is a rose of splendor
    posed to respond in the end
    lonely things like nights
    I find, end finer with a friend

I hear the rate of her heart
    A tear in the heat of art
    the night turns thin
    the saint turns to sin

This is fantastic lyric writing the mans a bloody genius, althe more so when you consider the song is called "Anagram" read the lyrics again now you know the title, I don't know how the f*ck he does it, but all hsi songs are like this, don't know where he gets the ideas.

You need to hear this band my young musician friend.

This one i copied from the sleeve, the one in my sig i recited from memory, Stickman also a fan recognised my other sig a rush song also and recognised it from memory, Rush have this effect on people, 3 guys once described by Tommy Vance as a 3 piece symphony orchestra, anyway go buy some of their albums.

Moving Pictures
    Hemispheres
    A farewell to Kings
    Permanent Waves
    Exit Stage left (live)

these would all give you a good taste of rush and woud be where i would start.

analoguekid, Nov 19, 2004
  19. BerylliumDust

Tenson Moderator

Thanks AK, I have listened to a bit of Rush before and although you will probably lynch me for saying this, I didn't like them very much. No denying their technical capability on their instruments, but I still didn't find the music very interesting, what little I heard. I will check them out a bit more though, that's what internet is for!

Cheers

Tenson, Nov 19, 2004
  20. BerylliumDust

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tenson,
    have a listen to 2112. it's what got me into rush and it would be in my top 5 of all time records - all genres. if you don;t like that then there is no help for you i'm afraid ;)
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 19, 2004
Ask a Question