Yet another bold claim...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BerylliumDust, Nov 15, 2004.

1. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

Precisely, Paul!
    My test, is a refinement of the David Hafler test , with the added bonus that you can even null test Op Amps .

[[ The fact that many 'hifi' amps are actually very poor (but obviously they 'sound' good) is really beside the point.]]

This is a very interesting point ,but if you put the pot of the amp under test in the null position (voltage at the input of the pot equal to voltage at the output of the amp ) and with another amp connected to a speaker , you can compare the sound that come from the CD , to the sound at the output of the amp.
    That way , you will see (ear) that the sound at the output will be warmer ...more euphonic that the input, because the harmonic distortion will add to the signal, as they are indeed harmonics of the original frequencies. And some people like this added warm.

[[ The statement that all competently designed amps operated within their limits sound the same isn't challenged.]]

Of course ...two amps with a very good null (only thermal noise ) obviously will sound the same.

[[ TD should tell us how big the residue is relative to the output, after all being able to measure something doesn't imply that it's audible.]]

As i have shown to Michael and BD , in my best amp , the null playing music and connected to the speaker is only thermal noise... :MILD:

[[ You've clearly completely missed the point of the null test ]]

Happily you don't...fine!

[[ The elegance is that crap test gear means you get a worse null.]]

Yes Paul...you nail it...

Regards

Jorge

Tube_Dude, Nov 16, 2004
  2. BerylliumDust

analoguekid Planet Rush

When do Bimmer drivers use these, that's not in the handbook, they only time I've seen bimmers with their indicators on is double parked with hazards on to save the lazy sod from walking 20 yards up the road.

analoguekid, Nov 16, 2004
  3. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

I do!

[[ You then have a pair of speakers and a CD player that were not purchased with a flat frequency response and zero distortion in mind.]]

All the speakers manufacturers try to achieve a flat frequency response and virtually all CD players are ruler flat in the audible frequencies...

So if for you measures means nothing , how if the man don't use the meter and the multiple Km, what was the meaning of me saying that England is far from Portugal...I can also say that Portugal is far from Spain and is much closer...

Without measuring we are only guessing...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2004
    Tube_Dude, Nov 16, 2004
  4. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

No. I can see what you're driving at but I don't agree. It might seem like an attractive idea that you can somehow mix and match components so that their respective distortions cancel each other out and the end result is distortion free but that's surely a recipe for madness. IMO you should never choose any component to act as a "tone control" to compensate some other bit of equipment in the chain. That way lies never ending box swapping and never being satisfied with what you've got.

Null testing, AFAIK, can only be practically applied to devices which have an analog input and an (electrical) analog output. That basically means amps, preamps and cables. Still if you can get those bits to be "perfect" that IMO would be an excellent start. Then you've at least narrowed down the number of variables in your system to just the source and speakers.

It is, in theory, possible to do a form of null test equivalent on CDPs and even speakers. Keith Howard explored this a little in a couple of articles for HiFi News a while back (May/June 2003). Basically, the idea is to use an ADC to convert the analog signal at the end of the chain back to digital and then compare it with the original WAV file on the CD and, since you're clearly never going to get exactly the same data back, do a statistical analysis to compare the two to come up with a value for how different they are.

In theory this could even go as far as including speakers (and therefor the room) into account, but then you've also got to take include the mic recording the in-room sound into the equation. KH used just a CDP on its own, digitially recording the analog output of it. He used the technique to demonstrate that a Townshend Seismic Sink and a special mains cable he tested had no significant effect. OTOH (and surprisingly) it showed that the Ringmat "Statmat" used on a CD did have a measurable effect, and what's more that the effect lasts for some time even after the statmat is removed.

There were still a number of problems with the technique but, if perfected, it could indeed be a very powerful tool for measuring pretty much any hifi component assuming you're starting with a CDP as a source. It has the same benefits as the null test as it's measuring in real world conditions with real music.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  5. BerylliumDust

merlin

I think that's the point for me. I am not ridiculing the null test at all. I simply cannot see that it should be used as an arbiter of whether the user will actually like the results. I happen to like my music sweetened up a bit. The vast majority of commercial recordings exhibit surprising levels of digital clipping distortion that I find unpleasent to listen to on a truly revealing system.

So if the software contains objectionable distortion, why should I want to replay that in it's full glory?

merlin, Nov 16, 2004
  6. BerylliumDust

merlin

Michael,

I remember the article you refer to. I seem to recall that the conclusion was that the test procedure was flawed, and unable to show the differences that were audible. Was that not the case?

merlin, Nov 16, 2004
  7. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

Ok...I see your point!...Nothing to argue , against a personal , subjective preference.

Cheers

Jorge

Tube_Dude, Nov 16, 2004
  8. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

merlin - I don't remember that to be the case, but I have both articles here with me and will give them a quick browse through again.

Nothing wrong with that, but then you can't claim to be interested in ultimate fidelity.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  9. BerylliumDust

Robbo

No. He's probably more interested in enjoying music, which after all, is what it's all about. Or is it?

Robbo, Nov 16, 2004
  10. BerylliumDust

merlin

Nor can any of you without extensively treated listening rooms or digital room correction ;)

merlin, Nov 16, 2004
  11. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

Well, I can enjoy music on the kitchen tranny or on the car stereo or on my iPod. Ultimate fidelity isn't a prerequisite for musical enjoyment at all. However, the whole point of spending an arm and a leg on a "high fidelity" system is to get..erm...high fidelity reproduction and therefore (one would hope) much greater musical enjoyment.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  12. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

I can enjoy the music that I like , even with my portable radio , in the shower...

But crap radios ,are not what Zero Gain is all about.

Or is it?

Tube_Dude, Nov 16, 2004
  13. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

Michael

We are in tune!!...And , in time!!!... :cool:

Jorge

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2004
    Tube_Dude, Nov 16, 2004
  14. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

Well, you were right. He said that the test system failed to show any difference when using his Perp. Tech P1A upsampler, the "resolution enhancement" feature was switched on or off. A difference he claims (and so do many others) is "quite marked".

So, he concludes that the test methodology is not yet mature enough, or doesn't yet have the resolution to identify some changes which are (apparently) clearly audible.

Still - the results he obtained were interesting and the methodolgy certainly has the potential to be a fantastically useful tool.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  15. BerylliumDust

BerylliumDust WATCH OUT!!!

Robbo,

You would be surprised how close related the two things are:

Enjoying music => Accuracy. You only can enjoy music with accuracy... unless you like your equipment as being part of the music.

However, accuracy doesn't necessarily means enjoying music...

BerylliumDust, Nov 16, 2004
  16. BerylliumDust

BerylliumDust WATCH OUT!!!

Michael,

Do you really want to know why Sim I-5 is inferior to the Rotel (besides my subjective preference)?

BerylliumDust, Nov 16, 2004
  17. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

I'd like to know why you think it is. Let me guess, becuase it uses FETs and not bi-polar output devices, which apparently measure worse. That may be, but I wouldn't want to make a claim about the amp as a whole without measuring the amp as a whole.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
  18. BerylliumDust

titian

I don't know if I missunderstand your words but they are millions of people who enjoy music without accuracy. And I would bet they enjoy music more than others who look for accuracy in their or others reproduction system.

For me a valid reference point for finding out how much someone is really enjoying music, is how much he talks about music and not technical analysis of hardware. ... for example if he ever posts messages in the music section... :rolleyes:

titian, Nov 16, 2004
  19. BerylliumDust

Tube_Dude

One valid reference for me , is the number of records , that he/she own... ;)

Tube_Dude, Nov 16, 2004
  20. BerylliumDust

michaelab desafinado

Jorge - you're going to lose that game with titian. He owns more LPs and CDs than most music stores :eek: .

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 16, 2004
Ask a Question