´Hi-Fi, Kafka and me

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Markus S

Joe

Excuse my absymal ignorance, but is a FET amp just another name for a transistor amp, or something more specific?

Joe, Jun 20, 2006
  2. Markus S

sideshowbob Trisha

Well, I don't use a pre, so I don't have one to demo. I think my 47 Labs Phonocube is excellent, but it's a pain to bring it back to London (the PSU is very heavy). About £3.2K new, and it certainly meets the simplicity criteria. You could build a clone for a lot less than that if money is tight. I'm sure MAX would lend you one if you want a home demo, at the same time you could probably borrow the Spectral preamp I linked to above.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 20, 2006
  3. Markus S

sideshowbob Trisha

Field Effect Transistor, commonly used in budget and midpriced electronics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_effect_transistor

-- Ian

4. Markus S

Stereo Mic

We agree on something!! Which is why I suggest getting over to somewhere like Definitive or MAX to sort out your phono stage/preamp issues. You can address the speakers later.

Stereo Mic, Jun 20, 2006
  5. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

So you claim Mr Sm! However if the problem lies in your system then the advice is flawed. If you can demonstrate to me that the fault lies in mine as Rob did then I will be happy to take your advice and I mean that very sincerely! I have already heard an expensive (200K?) DA system - it was "good" but nothing special.

Rob - hopefully you can hear the system again very soon. The cables and xbd stands should be here tomorrow or today and I will whip off the tweeter grill. The bel canto is also there for an interesting comparison. We can then swap the BA unit into MM and plug in the stepups and load it down. We can also double check the tvc level change issue. As you say we have both tailored our systems and both have different tastes. Despite this I found your knowledge very useful and the kit you brought certainly opened my eyes - many thanks! I wish SSB and SM would follow likewise! I look forward to hearing the latest iteration of the pre and phono.

Oh come on ssb - bring it up... if you do you are welcome to the next bake off. How do you control volume and source then without a pre? MAX is too far away for me.

anon_bb, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Markus S

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

I don't. I just think it's good and lets me enjoy the music.

The "best system" I know is a good orchestra in the Royal Festival Hall or a live acoustic blues/jazz band in a smokey new orleans club (all washed away since katarina sadly), sadly this "system" is out of my price range or no longer manufacturerd.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jun 20, 2006
  7. Markus S

Hi,

Surprisingly, very good. The justly legendary John Curl Vendetta Research SPC-2 was all Fet. It still sets the standards for noise and sound quality in the solid state arena (together with Mares/Connoisseur) and is competetive with most Valve Phonos.

BTW, Borbelies Entry Level Phono is closer to the Vendetta than his big one and likely sounds better too....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jun 20, 2006
  8. Markus S

Joe

Same here, really. Plus I'm a lazy get and can't be doing with swapping things in and out of my system on the off chance I might wring an extra 3% of performance out of it.

Plus I've got no money, and am determined not to start lusting after things I can't afford. That way madness lies.

Joe, Jun 20, 2006
  9. Markus S

Hi,

And in most recording microphones!

A "FET" is just another device, just like "Diode", "Triode", "Pentode", "Bipolar Junction transistor" and so on. The question is in the application.

Older Mosfet Output (Power) Amplifiers suffered from design faults (that are still commonly found) which meant the designer "assumed" that because the Mosfte has an input impedance of sever megaohm no drive current was needed.

While the Mosfet does not suffer from the signal variable base current the way bipolar transistors do (that is their main often ignored distortion mechanism) it has a large and signal dependent capaictance which in turn, if the FET is used wrongly, can substantially signal modulate the Amplifiers open loop bandwidth, leading to a "flanging effect" similar to that in MP3 recording, often called "mosfet mist" in the business.

Driving the Gates from a Bipolar Emitter Follower with a CCS emitter load would have eliminated the problem.

So, do not blame the device, blame the user.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jun 20, 2006
  10. Markus S

Markus S Trade

I don't think my system is the best, either. I've heard a number of systems that were as good as mine, just different, and even some better systems. But what I have suits me and my requirements, and I can see no compelling reason to change right now.

Markus S, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Markus S

sideshowbob Trisha

The Gaincard has dual volume controls, so all I need is an input selector. Simplicity and all that.

I really can't be arsed to carry bits of hifi kit around the country. I don't drive, so it's too much of a hassle.

I don't think my system is the best either, I've heard better, I've heard different but not obviously worse, I've heard worse. I don't think any of the better systems I've heard have used FETs, but I may be wrong. Looks like you're in a minority on thinking you have the best Nick.

-- Ian

12. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Post it up. I will pay for insured post. I dont drive either. I will agree a power amp with volume controls is an ideal solution.

Mr T - you are wise beyond most hifi nuts so are of course exempt from my sweeping generalisation. I thought the two BA designs were quite similiar., Alledgedly they sound almost identical except the more expensive unit is more detailed and precise and tighter in the bass. Sadly unless the stepup improves the cheaper unit I wil never find out. I am open to your suggestions. I entirely agree implementation is the overwhelming determiner of results rather than device type.

anon_bb, Jun 20, 2006
  13. Markus S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

why would anybody want to spend energy and time (and be without their hifi) to make a strangers system sound better?

I just don't get this... but it seems to be a re-occuring theme.

bottleneck, Jun 20, 2006
  14. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Nick is currently oscillating between abject grovelling (come hear my system, let me hear yours) and rather astonishing requests to others to lend him stuff. Fascinating, in the Spockian sense.

Markus S, Jun 20, 2006
  15. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Ah actually I was not entirely serious.

BN - two reasons - mutual back scratching and sheer altruism. Exposure to new music as well?

I can just imagine you with big pointy ears markus! Actually very few people have been invited to my system and I have accepted very few invitations. I just want to make SM and SSB squirm a bit ;). I am pretty satisfied with the active setup and turntable but some doubts remain about the tvc and phono so I plan to look around. If large sums need to be spent then they will be but philosophically I object to huge sums of money to obtain volume control and source selection given my setup. Comparison with Robs WAD kit was very useful - ideally I would like to end up with the best characteristics of both.

anon_bb, Jun 20, 2006
  16. Markus S

sideshowbob Trisha

Well, you'll have to try considerably harder.

if you post me your PMCs I'll post you my phono stage.

-- Ian

17. Markus S

Joe

It's like postal chess - but with hifi components!

Joe, Jun 20, 2006
  18. Markus S

Markus S Trade

Of course not.

Markus S, Jun 20, 2006
  19. Markus S

Hi,

Dunno 'bout that. You know, I'm just that guy. Big Bruiser, iroquese haircut and loads of bling.... :D

[​IMG]

Tell you what, how about you buy me an Erdinger or two one of these late afternoons or evenings at the "Old Thamesside In" near London Bridge. Should be nice sitting outside and having a good natter. Bring the schematics and well see what might make sense and what doesn't.

Erno is susally pretty good with the stuff he does, but a little too objectivist at times.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jun 20, 2006
  20. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

About posting his phono stage to me? Oh come on markus...

If you pay the postage then I will consider it SSB - it should be around £1000.

anon_bb, Jun 20, 2006
Ask a Question