An open post to the forum's Naim representatives

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jan 8, 2004.

1. merlin

Marco

Mick

Mick, sorry for being critical, old chap, but I don't believe for a second you'd do that. You're too entrenched in the whole Naim ethos to change brands now, and you'd lose your special PS discount to boot.

Besides, you've deliberately refused to reply when I've asked you on numerous occasions if you'd audition the EA-2 against the 300 when you're in the market for a new power amp. I think we know the answer to that one...

Sorry, but I don't think so, old chap.

Regards,
    Marco.

Marco, Jan 9, 2004
  2. merlin

Marco

Re: On Naim...

Hi TC, it's good to see you've brought your eloquent style with you over to ZG.

Totally agree, although I find their new gear a bit too 'nouvelle cuisine' for my liking.

Again, agreed. Have you by any chance been reading my 'top-secret mission statement' ? ;)

If Burntisland gets too cold, come down to 'sunny' Wrexham (LOL, joke) and check out mine, although undoubtedly it is a little less Naim-like these days since the addition of the EA-2.

Bloody brilliant CDP! I heard one at Adventures In Hi-fi last year, and in my opinion, it's not far behind a CDS2 (with the old XPS). Unfortunately, it doesn't get enough recognition. I reckon it would trounce the CDX2, though.

Laters,
    Marco.

Marco, Jan 9, 2004
  3. merlin

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I find myself suprisingly in agreement with Marco on this one.

In the past year it seems the main 'slayer' of naim has infact been Merlin, and I find it quite amusing that he should start a thread asking why people feel the need to defend it, when he is always so keen to ridicule it, so its nice to see his new years resolution.

I won't bother going into detail on why I love naim, and I will put my 2 pences worth in when it comes up. I appriciate Wadia's appraisel of naim however, at least he is stating his opinion and being amusing with it. Much of merlins postings concerning naim have been in my recolection very rude, and yes it has got my hackles up.

It all comes down to music at the end of the day, since owning naim stuff I have fallen in love with music, prior to naim I had some Pink Floyd and some other 70s stuff, and anything without instruments was crap etc etc. Nower days I will try anything and spend a lot of money on music, I love it.

I am not blind, I think its people like Merlin who clearly have a preferences for the kit (I am not having a go BTW, we all have hobbies after all) who get angered by people like me who frankly can't be arsed to change their kit every month because it 'excentuates the upper ting on the cymbal' or what ever.

I tend to find with the people I have met who own naim that there is always a substatial amount of music in the room, I am not saying before any one shoots off that those without naim don't.

I would also point out that I have never offered an opinion good or bad on stuff that I havn't heard, can't really say fairer than that.

Finally, I rather think naim would not be so prevelent on these forums if it did not have probably the busiest single manufactuer HIFI forum on the web, if its forum had never existed I am sure some other manufactuer would be attracting so much attention on these HIFI forums.

garyi, Jan 9, 2004
  4. merlin

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Re: Re: On Naim...

:D :cool: ;) :cool: :D

Love it Marco - that's the best description of the higher end current Naim gear - not quite Money For Nothing, but a lot of money for what it is. The lower end stuff like the 5 series seems to still be good VFM though :)

domfjbrown, Jan 9, 2004
  5. merlin

Tom Alves

And once again a thread descends to those love it defending it and apologising and those who have an axe to grind , grinding hard. Almost the complete opposite of what this thread started out to say.

What can one say. Good Grief :rolleyes:

Tom Alves, Jan 9, 2004
  6. merlin

Robbo

Marco,

I was at Bristol last year, went into the the Redline room (demonstrating sim kit) and walked out after about 5 seconds. It was awful. But you of all people should know, as a naimie, that setup is all. Get it (the Sim kit) working at home under optimal conditions and it is really rather good.

As so many Naimies have said to me over the years, never go by what you hear at shows.

JTC,

The reason why I like the eclipse so much is that in my system it has in spades the very musical integrity and cohesiveness that you feel it lacks.

Funny old game isn't it?

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jan 9, 2004
  7. merlin

Tom Alves

Have to agree about Naim and set up. I'm only allowed to whisper this so don't tell anyone but Naim kit is very sensitive to its environment. If it's not happy it can sound pants, which is why so many here don't like Naim speakers. The problem is the potential for greatness is there but is rarely fully realised. When it is however then it is worth every penny and every ounce of effort.

Or maybe I'm deluding myself. Whatever I'm happy. Igmorance is bliss. :)

Tom Alves, Jan 9, 2004
  8. merlin

mick parry stroppy old git

Marco

You said

"Mick, sorry for being critical, old chap, but I don't believe for a second you'd do that. You're too entrenched in the whole Naim ethos to change brands now, and you'd lose your special PS discount to boot."

Hifi to me is about making music sound good. To date, Naim have won hands down in that department. If I genuinely find something better, the whole lot goes up on Ebay. Simple as that.

I have no qualms whatsoever about doing it.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 9, 2004
  9. merlin

Steven Toy

Mick,

It would be far less drastic just to try out one power amp.

Steven Toy, Jan 9, 2004
  10. merlin

Steven

Thank you

mick parry, Jan 9, 2004
  11. merlin

Steven Toy

Well actually, I meant two power amps and one of them isn't Naim.

Steven Toy, Jan 9, 2004
  12. merlin

merlin

My thought entirely Tom, well said.

Now now Gary:D I admit I am unlikely to become a convert, but please, I have tried to be accomodating here.

Now Mick, will you be bringing the CDS3 up to Bracknell with you? Surely this is the only fair way of judging the Eclipse?

merlin, Jan 9, 2004
  13. merlin

Steven

Thank you so much

mick parry, Jan 9, 2004
  14. merlin

Merlin

When you visit someones house you are listening to a complete system. The CDP is just one part of it.

I will be comparing two systems, Robbo's and mine.

Robbo has done research etc and come up with his sytem. I am a mindless sheep, dripping in cash and will just buy Naim.

Listening to these two systems will help me decide which strategy I should adopt in the future.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 9, 2004
  15. merlin

Alex S User

Mick, Steven may have a point. What if you go to Robbo's, prefer his stuff, buy it, flog all the Naim and then go somewhere else which you prefer to Robbo's system? This is hypothetical, perhaps Robbo has the best system on the planet but if he does would the same system sound as good at your place?

My system is starting to sound quite good after 2 years of pissing about with setup, support, acoustic foam and mains yet some of the components, the speakers especially, can sound ghastly without all that effort.

To be honest, I think I'd advise anyone to try and get the very best they can out of what they've got, you know, silly little things like getting the speakers in phase, before making any further changes, particularly of brand. Nonetheless, we all make mistakes, like B&Ws, soonest rid the better, for me, yet others love'em.

Alex

Alex S, Jan 9, 2004
  16. merlin

Alex

Let me visit Robbo and take it from there.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 9, 2004
  17. merlin

dat19 blind test terrorist

Sure I've heard the NAP500 into NBL's.

I've also heard the Bryston 4BST into a range of speakers.

And if I had a mountain of money, I'd still by the Bryston, it's a better amp and you can buy it new (discounted) for a tenth of the price..

dat19, Jan 9, 2004
  18. merlin

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Having not heard Bryston I am unable to comment.

Having heard a nap500 into NBLS, I fail to see what it is you need from music to enjoy it, if I wanted a PA in the house I would get a JBL PA Rig.

garyi, Jan 9, 2004
  19. merlin

Robbo

Why just call it hypothetical? ;)

Alex is correct, My little ProAcs in Micks large front room would be hopelessly lost and the amp is underpowered for driving speakers in his large room. The stuff works a treat in my room though - to my ears. It simply isnt possible to transplant systems into different rooms and get the same sound in my experience. The room is an intrinsic part of any system.

Robbo, Jan 9, 2004
  20. merlin

merlin

Re: Merlin

Without wishing to sound facetious, how?

What exactly do you hope to gain?

If it's justification for the CDS3, then I would suggest without a direct comparison of both sources in both setups, then the excerise is meaningless (although Robbo is always a gratious host and a pleasure to visit)

merlin, Jan 9, 2004
Ask a Question