Argos Solid Granite Iso Platforms!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by danza, Jul 25, 2004.

1. danza

greg Its a G thing

2. danza

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Jul 27, 2004
  3. danza

bemcsa

Since audio-buff4 probably got the idea from this forum, here are a few more he might like to try:

1) acoustic de-coupling hemispheres with colour coded rigidity dots to match the granite equipment support (squash balls cut in half)

2) tuned, finite element analysis designed air suspension system to match the granite equipment support. (bike inner tube, halfords). Could also sell acoustic pumps and puncture repair kits to match.

4) cd stoplight pen (green felt tip, Woolworths)

5) home microwaveable cables (for those that like their cables pre-cooked, although someone has already beaten him to this :D )

6) stick on blue led filters, so you dont have the embarrassment of red or green leds

bemcsa, Jul 27, 2004
  4. danza

BlueMax

audio-buff4, the seller has now put up the starting bid to £30 :eek:

He claims, "We use a specific type of granite comprised of elements aforementioned which further aid in the sonic ability. Then coupled with this is the specially developed slip resistant feet which further stabalise."

A snake oil salesman trained by our friend Russ Andrews?!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5712080899
    No bidders yet!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2004
    BlueMax, Jul 27, 2004
  5. danza

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Hmmm... is there a way of reporting this to eBay? Saying "We" and "specially developed" is such complete balls it ought to be stopped really...

Edited to add: Just had a look on eBay, and in all the various rules violations you are able to report, there doesn't seem to be one saying that the listing contains lies, just breaches of various policies, none of which from a quick browse seem to pertain to whether the info given is accurate. Maybe there is, but I can't see it quickly...

MartinC, Jul 27, 2004
  6. danza

wolfgang

I know we sometimes blame dealers for pushing snake oil products at high prices but as this case illustrate people have only themselves to blame for not using their common sense or demand a higher standard of proof that this stuff actually work. Some of you seems to always counter that if some people are willing to pay for their toys and go on to believe they could hear huge improvement then no one should not try to tell them they have been con. Is that not right?

wolfgang, Jul 27, 2004
  7. danza

MartinC Trainee tea boy

To me there is a distinction between selling the item, accurately described, and seeing what someone is willing to pay for it, as opposed to claiming it's been specifically designed by the seller. Having written that, it may well be that this is the case for various HiFi accessory retailers, but we don't know it is, which is different.

MartinC, Jul 27, 2004
  8. danza

greg Its a G thing

Rather than reporting to eBay - Argos may actually consider some form of action if they were to find out. Sure there's nothing to stop someone profiting on retail-purchase stuff, but the trade descriptions act may apply. Nice touch to make the bidders ID private to stop us from pointing the bidders at Argos' web site. :D

greg, Jul 27, 2004
  9. danza

BlueMax

MartinC, eBay should take action but don't know if they will.
    But it sure is worth a try.

I sent a message to the seller asking, "Can this Isolation Platform also be used for chopping up stuff in the kitchen?" :D

wolfgang, increasing 'perceived value' as opposed to 'real value' is a technique used by salesman to maximise their profit margins. Making false claims however is immoral and fraudulent.

Hopefully the proud new owner will never get to know the 'real value' and live happily ever after. Ignorance is Bliss.

BlueMax, Jul 27, 2004
  10. danza

Saab

yep,very clever,these sellers make a living from Ebay,many have given up their careers to trade in this way,and products like this must be a dream

Saab, Jul 27, 2004
  11. danza

Sid and Coke

Someone should report him just for littering his auction title with the names of Hi-end Hi-Fi manufacturers, when he's just selling kitchen goods. Spamming in this manner clogs up my e-bay searches with unwanted chaff and really pisses me off.

edited to add:
    on the other hand though good luck to him , if people can't be arsed to do their homework then perhaps they deserve to get stung.

Sid and Coke, Jul 27, 2004
  12. danza

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Jul 27, 2004
  13. danza

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Annoyingly reporting that is far more obvious, but I decided it was kind of missing the point...

MartinC, Jul 27, 2004
  14. danza

penance Arrogant Cock

I did mail him and point out that they are Argos 12.99 chopping blocks.
    Hopfuly he realised the errors of his ways:)

penance, Jul 27, 2004
  15. danza

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I bought one (from argos). It's nothing like as hefty as the granite I already have (1/3rd-1/2 as thick, not as dense), but it's a reasonable start. It rings somewhat (as will any slab of granite). The finishing is not perfect, with only the top side polished, but with some scratches in it. The sides are just sawcut, and the sharp edges have been taken off.

For the money, can't complain. I prefer something a bit heftier in my hifi supports though...

I-S, Jul 27, 2004
  16. danza

adam

I can just stroll along to any building site, ask nicely,and walk away with some lovely granite,black,white, cream,the world is my oyster! all for free.hmmm not bad.

adam, Jul 27, 2004
  17. danza

dominicT former member

How do we really know that he is selling Argos slabs - has he told anyone or are we just guessing? Is it a coincidence? I personnally need a bit more evidence before a hanging but accept that I am on a hifi forum!

Dominic

dominicT, Jul 27, 2004
  18. danza

adam

Dom,Just look at the pictures,you don't need to be a detective.

adam, Jul 27, 2004
  19. danza

BlueMax

I emailed him asking if this isolation platform can also be used for chopping stuff in the kitchen. :D

BlueMax, Jul 27, 2004
  20. danza

BlueMax

heard that Wicks DIY stores sell them for £4.99

Any advice on where to buy some really thick ones?

BlueMax, Jul 27, 2004
Ask a Question