Argos Solid Granite Iso Platforms!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by danza, Jul 25, 2004.

1. danza

taz

typical my sound org rack shelfs are 400mm x 500mm so it won't bloody fit :(
    i paid £22 for a custom made one in a really fit marble

taz, Aug 3, 2004
  2. danza

maddog 2

That's funny. It's been a while since a post made me laugh. :)

maddog 2, Aug 3, 2004
  3. danza

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Well, my DAC is now sitting on the argos granite, as the larger piece it was on is now required for the television. Doesn't sound any different as far as I can tell...

I-S, Aug 3, 2004
  4. danza

longlam

amdworld,

so does it make any difference to your system?

Long.
    ________
    CORVETTE C1

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
    longlam, Aug 4, 2004
  5. danza

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Well, slight change of plan, and the new use of the Argos platform can be found in this thread.

I-S, Aug 4, 2004
  6. danza

amdworld

hi

as with all implementations like this it takes a while for the differences to become really apparent .for my system there seems to be an improvement ,certainly in timing and the seperation is far more noticeable.
    however im not saying it will do wonders but my gut feeling is that these offer similar performance to products based on the same theory costing far greater.to me it is £12.99 x 4 well spent.!!!!

as for getting them argos seemed to have sold out my friend tried to get four but best he could find was one at a store in canterbury though there still showing available online.

amdworld, Aug 6, 2004
  7. danza

wolfgang

Wow. That was fast. Wonder how much it is due to chat forums. It anyone could hear an audible improvement I would be more impress.

wolfgang, Aug 6, 2004
  8. danza

amdworld

[​IMG]

ON those low cost argos slabs :cool:

amdworld, Aug 6, 2004
  9. danza

amdworld

i think youll find they look the biz as well

[​IMG]

amdworld, Aug 6, 2004
  10. danza

BlueMax

hmmmmmm..
    This is the problem when people buy stuff from places like Argos and then use it with hi-fi.

If Russ Andrews was selling it, he would have convinced you that it sounds better even before you try it.

It makes all the difference :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2004
    BlueMax, Aug 6, 2004
  11. danza

wolfgang

Amdworld,
    Thanks you posting photos of your set up. The whole system are very well laid out.
    Those slabs look the part. I have only one under my processor. By the way, what have you done to the top disc Arcam CDP. It seems you have cover or shield the whole box with some heavy looking granite slabs.

It is now weekend. If I am really bored I'll really give it a 'serious' listen to see if they do make any sonic improvement or not.

wolfgang, Aug 6, 2004
  12. danza

amdworld

that cover is made from noise absorbtion material commonly found or used on the inside of a pc to dampened the sound of the fans .available at maplins

under noise absorbtion .

has for the comment about russ andrews feel free to pay an extra £100 just to here him say it improves the sound.im quite happy to pay £12.99 and draw my own conclusion .

quoted above "Well, my DAC is now sitting on the argos granite, as the larger piece it was on is now required for the television. Doesn't sound any different as far as I can tell... "

theres your answer !

amdworld, Aug 7, 2004
  13. danza

longlam

i guess Argos only had a certain amount of stock in anyways. it wasnt probably something they thought was going to sell loads off. i'm sure they will be more in stock soon.

Long.
    ________
    Ford Telstar History

longlam, Aug 7, 2004
  14. danza

longlam

just checked in my local Argos in Croydon, they have 3 left. didnt bother getting one though, want to do a little more research first... however, i could take orders now and ship them to those interested...! at an inflated rate of course!
    ________
    Vapor Tower

longlam, Aug 7, 2004
  15. danza

shrink

thinking about getting 4 myself... i have these three legged amp stands (2 shelves each) that i have my monoblocks on next to each speaker... the stands are great but the shelves are a horrible 8mm thick fibreboard stuff and weigh next to nothing.

Wonder if using these as shelves would bring any gains :) hell id be happy if it just looks nicer

shrink, Aug 9, 2004
  16. danza

shrink

well.. got my first slab today...

went on top of CD player with a thin sheet of foam under it (a thin mousemat to be exact) this dampens down the CDP case completely.

The differences are spectacular.. i really wasnt expecting much but im pleasantly surprised.

Bass was tighter... deeper and better resolved... id guess thats cos vibrations not getting to the laser helps it to read all the better.

Next i'll put one on top of my audiolab pre in the same manner... and then one under the CDP... AMDWORLD if you get this... what are the isolation feet you are using between the slabs?

also tried one on my amp stand to see how it looks.. and it looks snazzy.. so thats 4 more already. that will be 7.. count em... 7 slabs for my whole system for less than the cost of ONE hi-fi platform.

i urge anyone to try them... for the price its impossible to beat

shrink, Aug 14, 2004
  17. danza

amdworld

you see it doesnt always pay to be a sceptic does it.at £12.99 YOU CANNOT GO WRONG .

Those feet i had a friend make with a lathe then just stuck some rubber on em.just made from scrap solid metal tubing.

amdworld, Aug 14, 2004
  18. danza

MartinC Trainee tea boy

You might want to be careful with that; they get pretty hot on top (class A), or at least the two I had did. Presumeably they lose most of their heat through the top so covering it with a mousemat and granite may pose a problem. Just a thought.

MartinC, Aug 14, 2004
  19. danza

kermit still dreaming.......

I picked up a leaflet from Aldi,s today .
    It looks like they are getting some machined doorstops in at £2.49 each.They seem to have a rubber base . Three of these under your kit or platforms would make some nice looking cheap feet .

kermit, Aug 14, 2004
  20. danza

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Especially if you also need a smart new chopping block!

bottleneck, Aug 14, 2004
Ask a Question