ATC SCM50 measured performance vs. high quality studio monitors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 3DSonics, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3DSonics

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I read it years ago, therefore it is not new.

pauldixonuk, Aug 25, 2005
  2. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Well, why not? The guy obviously knows much more about studio monitors than anyone else on this forum. I'd be far more inclined to follow his advice than yours, or, especially, Thorsten's.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  3. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Could it be possible that they are still using them? I've had mine for three years, but I'm not an ex-user.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  4. 3DSonics

It's not in ATC's interests to update their old list to new current users only. It makes more marketing sense to choose their words more carefully, to give a different impression to potential customers.

5. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Bub mission 761s dont count. What did you hear at the atcs level? Anything?

So you buy what everyone says is the best so that you KNOW you have the best so that you cant feel uncertain or insecure? You may call for the moderators to ban me now if I am playing too hard!

anon_bb, Aug 25, 2005
  6. 3DSonics

Didn't Gilmour recently instal PMC? Anyone else see that article?

7. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

What's a "new current user"? You either use something, or you don't.

I've never auditioned Mission 761s.

I've never said that I have "the best", whatever that may be. I have the best hi-fi I've heard*, but that is not the same thing.

*largely due to my excellent room.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  8. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes I beleive so. His ATC have been replaced. Same as in many studios. With pmc. Bub did you hear about robbie williams yet?

anon_bb, Aug 25, 2005
  9. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

No, do tell, or provide a link.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  10. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes and what else have you heard prior to buying the atcs that set out to be a competitor in the same field as the atc?

anon_bb, Aug 25, 2005
  11. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

It's very flattering that you think that the moderators on PFM would pay any attention to any such request from me.

I think you were probably banned for being a waste of space, but you'd have to check with the mods.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  12. 3DSonics

Bub's quote; "I've never said that I have "the best", whatever that may be. I have the best hi-fi I've heard*, but that is not the same thing."

Ahhhh, now were getting to the crux of it. The thing is Bub, you refuse to listen to anything else. If everyone carried on like that, then you'd get joe bloggs claiming his Alba clock radio was the best thing in the world.

13. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Linn Isobariks (many), Martin-Logan hybrids, not much else. Never heard PMCs, largely because of their appalling reputation.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  14. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

No I don't. I'm interested in hi-fi and have heard many different hi-fi systems.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  15. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

PMC have no appalling reputation bub. A bare handful of people who own atc or have got the hump about the own designs as they are not as good.

So basically nothing then bub. You have bought so heavily into the myth that you must now keep your ears closed to other possibilities lest you face the prospect of a humiliating step down - resulting in years of self loathing and doubt.

Bubby you squealed and it was so.

anon_bb, Aug 25, 2005
  16. 3DSonics

That's a stupid thing to say Bub.

Before I looked into ATC, I'd say they had an appalling reputation, going by what I'd read or been told. A lot of people told me they are known for a screeching harsh treble. I had to demo to find out myself. If I'd have put my head in the sand like you, then maybe I'd be spouting bollox as well. Luckily I'm informed, not guessing, or taking other peoples word for my opinions. I'm amazed you can have the front to argue about something you have no experience of. Some might say a touch of arrogance at work.

17. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I beg your pardon. PMC have a dreadful reputation on both the Naim and PF forums. Hardly anyone has a good word to say about them, and the ones who do, seem odd in the extreme. I have no view upon PMC other than the ones I have read. I don't think they are worth a home audition, and shop demos tell you basically nothing.

There's nothing "humiliating" about changing system components, is there? You inhabit a strange world, indeed.

I have continued to hear new systems, I continue my interest in hi-fi, and I reserve the right to alter my hi-fi components as & when I see fit.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
  18. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Blinkered arrogance - based on very limited experience of what else might be out there. "It was better than my isobariks and the mags said they were the best and dishy dave gilmour bought some so why bother listening to the alternatives as shop dems are a waste of time anyway coz i cant make up my own mind and i cant be sure they are the best so i will just take someone elses opinion... then I can say they are the best in confidence and everyone elses best is wrong"

anon_bb, Aug 25, 2005
  19. 3DSonics

So you've really asked a wide cross section of society there, havent you? LOL. Suprisingly there was bleeting coming from the sheep pen. Well, I never. Imagine that, lol.

20. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I've never owned Isobariks. Do you think overweight, middle-aged men are "dishy", ducky?

Once again, for the hard of thinking: I have never claimed that ATC are the best, just the best I've heard. There is a huge difference.

I haven't heard everything, no-one has.

The Devil, Aug 25, 2005
Ask a Question