ATC SCM50 measured performance vs. high quality studio monitors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 3DSonics, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3DSonics

penance Arrogant Cock

A youngish (26) lad i work with does. He gets headaches from it.

penance, Aug 23, 2005
  2. 3DSonics

Joe

While that might be true, it doesn't mean that such people would necessarily be best placed to write reviews of hifi equipment, because they would be writing about sonic effects inaudible to the vast majority of the population.

Joe, Aug 23, 2005
  3. 3DSonics

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Joe, very true. In fact I'd say they would be worse than normal people: not seeing the wood for the trees scenario.

pauldixonuk, Aug 23, 2005
  4. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

In many ways, this thread typifies this forum. I am reminded of bald men squabbling over a comb.

Arguing about someone else's measurements versus another person's measurements in order to prove that ATCs are unsuitable to be used as studio monitors, or lacking in some way, is absurd. The reason why it's absurd is that ATCs are in widespread use as studio monitors.

The Devil, Aug 23, 2005
  5. 3DSonics

dominicT former member

Agreed, but some people either have a natural ability or have been trained to listen well. For example my girlfriend is not a musician but loves music, however could not pick out individual musical instruments on any given piece of music; not its not my hifi, this even happend live. I trained her to be able to breakdown the music into its constituent parts and now she can hear things with ease.

dominicT, Aug 23, 2005
  6. 3DSonics

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I get headaches from listening to atc's for more than 20 mins, one of the few speakers (along with pmc's) that makes me want to turn them DOWN :(

wadia-miester, Aug 23, 2005
  7. 3DSonics

penance Arrogant Cock

Oh dear,

James, if you really feel that way, why bother useing this forum?

penance, Aug 23, 2005
  8. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I think that you inhabit a parallel universe.

The Devil, Aug 23, 2005
  9. 3DSonics

James,

I do understand, all those work pressures & the desire to be hifi scribe so you can compare all those inferior systems and components you would be 'forced' to listen to.
    Life's delt you some serious tuff breaks mate, but head up & take on the chin with true resolve & safe in the knowledge that 'YOU' have the ultimate system.
    Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time :)

10. 3DSonics

James I believe in everything say, oh most exhaulted one :)

11. 3DSonics

dominicT former member

Lots of people drive ladas but it does not make them good cars; and they are not as widespread as you think; most proaudio dealers do not sell them because their customers prefer something else. Why else would ATC have just one proaudio dealer on their website? They appear to be going after the domestic marketplace.

Also I am sure that as a medical doctor you get to see lots of recording studios to back up your assertion about widespread use.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
    dominicT, Aug 23, 2005
  12. 3DSonics

mr cat Member of the month

fopr once, you're actually making some sense... :D

mr cat, Aug 23, 2005
  13. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes I hear it too.

Bub people use atc in studios for a job - not listening to music. So one does not validate the other.

WM - then you need to hear my pmcs ;-)

anon_bb, Aug 23, 2005
  14. 3DSonics

Joe

I would be surprised if any proaudio dealers sell ladas.

Joe, Aug 23, 2005
  15. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I do not require any "validation" from any source whatsoever that ATCs are utterly awesome when it comes to listening to music.

I've owned them for three years, and I am still absolutely thrilled with them. I have heard numerous other hi-fi systems, none of which has come even close to the ATC's abilities*. The fact that other people have reported poor or indifferent results with them means absolutely nothing to me, and I can only assume incompetant set-up and/or weird room acoustics.

*except three other systems which also incorporate the ATC actives

The Devil, Aug 23, 2005
  16. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

So why do you keep on posting the validation?

Only if you havent heard better.

Yes the problem is your assumptions in absence of any evidence or all of the facts. Maybe they heard what you heard but also heard better?

anon_bb, Aug 23, 2005
  17. 3DSonics

merlin

Actually Robert Plant just had a pair of SCM100's installed in his living room at home, my accountant has a pair of 50's hooked up to an old Meridian CD player, and two classically trained musician/producers I know use them in their music rooms at home. BTW, they both use Dynaudio for mixing work.

Isn't it about time you posted something that wasn't purely designed to annoy and might have some tiny grain of fact in it? Is it any wonder you have been banned from various internet forae?

merlin, Aug 23, 2005
  18. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I am correcting an erroneous and mean-spirited thread.

There is absolutely nothing that you or anyone else can write, which will alter my opinion about ATC actives. I don't think that you have the slightest idea what my system sounds like.

The Devil, Aug 23, 2005
  19. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Another prominent home ATC user is David Gilmour. He could afford any speakers he likes, having given millions to a homeless charity, and he has been in a few recording studios in his time.

The Devil, Aug 23, 2005
  20. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually I have only ever been banned from one internet forum in the last ten years merlin - Pink Fish Media - largely as a result of you and bub and a few select others who all behave the same way on this and many other forums. PFM however is the exception in that such behaviour is the establishment there. You are exaggerating - ironic given you have accused others of the same thing. Nothing is planned to annoy - please note my posts stay away from name calling or mud slinging unlike yours or bubs. Maybe Plant hasnt heard better either?

Bub - I have heard 90% of the components in your system. These components have character that canot be erased no matter what you do. This is a legitimate thread and the mean spiritedness originates solely in yourself and merlin for various reasons. Dont be so defensive.

anon_bb, Aug 23, 2005
Ask a Question