Auditioning the MEG RL-901K

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 3DSonics, Aug 27, 2005.

1. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Two sets of measurements produce the same finding about midrange distortion. Thats strong evidence even if the conditions werent identical - precisely because the conditions werent identical.

anon_bb, Sep 4, 2005
  2. 3DSonics

Stereo Mic

It seems like a huge waste of money to passively tri-amp a loudspeaker. When you consider the cost implications of the PMC's and three Bryston power amplifiers, surely you could have opted for some real flagship loudspeakers that required less complex amplification?

Stereo Mic, Sep 4, 2005
  3. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

You still going on and on about "midrange distortion"? You are living in a fantasy land, dude.

When do the biscuits come round?

Mr Dev, please PM me about where I have neglected the AUP.

I would like to point out that I have been labelled as a "liar", and you have failed to delete that accusation. A level playing field would be nice.

The Devil, Sep 4, 2005
  4. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

This sort of hysterical nonsense doesn't conform to the AUP, but it is still here.

Biased moderation, if you ask me.

The Devil, Sep 4, 2005
  5. 3DSonics

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Stereo mic, do you mean even larger PMC's, or was that a little swipe, suggesting another brand may be preferable? I can't see any sane person having larger speakers than brizon to be honest.

With regard to tri amping, I personally find the idea of the extra cost, extra cable and extra space to be a nightmare! I'm happy if the changes are worth it for some people, however I'm sure it's a clear example of diminishing returns at work.

I know a (nutty) guy who upgraded from large passive PMC to active PMC. He didn't do so on the basis of sound quality. In fact he makes no claims regarding an increase in quality at all. He made the change due to power handling requirements. Previously he managed to melt the passive x-overs due to their inherent heat wasting design, plus the prolonged high volumes he was running. The active version runs much cooler, so eliminates this problem. I presume this is why a lot of clubs, studios and PA applications use active rigs as a safety precaution.

Secondly I have been told by an employee at Cornflake (Dominic I think) that taking PMC's to active setup is not always worth it. In his opinion using six monoblock Bryston amps with large PMC's can sound quite impressive, but the music is more seperated, rather than the more cohesive sound you get when using just one pair of Bryston monoblocks passively. I can only assume that going active will be an improvement for some people, but not eveyone. That's a lot of extra mess, space and money to find out!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
    pauldixonuk, Sep 4, 2005
Ask a Question