Auditioning the MEG RL-901K

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 3DSonics, Aug 27, 2005.

1. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

The ib2s need to be triamped for the treble to open up. Single amped they just dont come alive. The effect is even more noticeable with the mb2.

Bub - I am out of short trousers and have heard what atc can do many times. They have limitations I cannot live with. So all your arguments are quoted from atc marketing material? I suspected as much!

3d - beauty pagent? lucky man!

anon_bb, Sep 4, 2005
  2. 3DSonics

Robbo

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense to go to to get the thing working. Why not just buy a speaker with an open treble in the first place - Just think how open the MEG would be if it was tri-amped.

Robbo, Sep 4, 2005
  3. 3DSonics

Stereo Mic

I must assume that you were all drinking last night.

Those last few pages were dick waving on a marathon scale from all parties.

Stereo Mic, Sep 4, 2005
  4. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

They work single amped they just dont give their best. Going to triamped the difference is staggering. I probably wouldnt have bought them if I hadnt insisted on trying it in the shop. Most speakers I suspect would not benefit to this degree. Be interesting to try it with the megs though - I look forward to hearing them!

Yes its trouble and expense. But thats hifi all over ;-). I bought the amps used from the states so it didnt cost that much.

anon_bb, Sep 4, 2005
  5. 3DSonics

Stereo Mic

Are you running them active with 10b's?

Stereo Mic, Sep 4, 2005
  6. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

No that would have been a lot more money - plus I preferred the st range to the sst. I will convert to active myself when the warranty runs out. Apparently the bryston crossovers included with the pmc active speakers is not the same as a 10b.

anon_bb, Sep 4, 2005
  7. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

This is a long way from "writing a dissertation". This is an internet forum. Even you must have known where my quote originated.

The "A+" professionals, such as James Guthrie, people who have made a success of their careers as recording engineers, choose & use ATC monitors. Maybe this is why you were marked down to "B+"?

The Devil, Sep 4, 2005
  8. 3DSonics

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Interesting findings from the demo. Of course we all have a different preference when it comes to presentation. Also the MEG may be more accurate than ATC or PMC for the studio, but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone will enjoy them as much at home. Luckily for you, all of these systems are not as much fun for you, as your present system. I suspect this will be the situation for a lot of us.

pauldixonuk, Sep 4, 2005
  9. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Bub - to suggest a+ engineers choose atc and lesser engineers dont is sheer unfounded speculation - again derived from atc marketing no doubt. You are just pinning all your hopes on this single fact - that 3d didnt get an A - as you dont have any relevent argument to present and you just want to wind him up. B+ hardly constitutes second rate. Also exam marks have little to do with reallife skill. Guthrie may be an a+ sound engineer but it doesnt mean he got an a+ in his exam.

anon_bb, Sep 4, 2005
  10. 3DSonics

ditton happy old soul

Wow, I am impressed with the stamina of yuff. And intrigued that a post at one o'clock in the morning led to almost 30 other posts before daybreak.

On the substance of the debate, its that 'accuracy vs realism', 'truth vs beauty' thing.

ditton, Sep 4, 2005
  11. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

3D whatsit is an unknown. I'd certainly never heard of him, before he popped his head up here and started trying to argue black is white. "A" is first-rate, "B" is second-rate.

James Guthrie is well-known, and has an enviable track record (pun not intended) in the music industry, whereas 3D thingy is a fantasist.

The Devil, Sep 4, 2005
  12. 3DSonics

I wonder how many recording engineers listen to the exact same monitors at home, as they do in the studio. I expect not that many. Afterall, one is a tool for a job (maginfying imperfections) and one is supposed to be a source of (maximising) pleasure. For example, it sounds like 3D appreciates the MEG's studio ability, yet uses a different speaker at home.

I think any home speaker that may be used in a studio, just shows you they are really pretty decent speakers: combining elements of precision and pleasure. Whether your personal preference is closer to the virtues of the studio application or home design, is down to you. Personally I think some speakers achieve this balance quite well, my personal favorites being PMC, Dynaudio, even ATC are pretty good.

These debates are usually circular as there is no real answer. It may make as much sense to argue over which is the best beer. Discussing personal preference can be a real waste of time.

The only thing which can be proved are numbers. If you wanted to argue over which product has the lowest distortion, or loudness then fine. A number cannot be disputed, so long as the test was carried out in exactly the same conditions. This of course will not tell you which speaker is best for listening to music on for pleasure. It will only indicate which is better for highlighting tiny imperfections in a studio.

I think the solution is Bub getting a new tag line: "ATC give me more pleasure than any other monitor in the world". That will keep 'em happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
    pauldixonuk, Sep 4, 2005
  13. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Plenty of first rate engineers dont use atc. Plenty of first rate studios dont use atc.

Whether or not Guthrie chooses to use ATC is irrelevent -both in terms of the topic of this thread and also whether or not atc are accurate. Neither are atc marketing material, mag reviews or other industry endorsement admissable as evidence. You know nothing about 3ds skill as an engineer - would you like it if someone belittled your professional capabilities in an attempt to invalidate your opinion on hifi? ;-)

Paul has hit the nail on the head. This boils down to measurement plain and simple.

anon_bb, Sep 4, 2005
  14. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I don't think studio monitors should magnify imperfections at all.

And that's exactly what we don't have, so the debate is completely pointless.

The Devil, Sep 4, 2005
  15. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually I beleive we have some in HFN - plus some info on the measurements from merlin. Corroborated by my ears.

anon_bb, Sep 4, 2005
  16. 3DSonics

Dev Moderator

Bub,

Yet again I felt the need to delete some of your posts. Please stick to the actual topic and stop making personal comments.

If 3D hasn't proven that that MEG are more accurate than ATC, then you haven't proven that ATCs are any more accurate that any other speaker either. Your personal recording experience notwithstanding. I know you enjoy a good argument, but let's try to be civil to each other.

Dev, Sep 4, 2005
  17. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Not taken under identical conditions. The experimental error of the HFN measurements is unknown.

It's not up to me to prove that, I've never claimed it. ATC claim it - maybe they have the proof.

The Devil, Sep 4, 2005
  18. 3DSonics

Dev Moderator

Bub, I'm not going to argue with you, I'd just like you to pay attention to AUP.

Dev, Sep 4, 2005
  19. 3DSonics

ditton happy old soul

That's very concise. Something in which to find consensus.

ditton, Sep 4, 2005
  20. 3DSonics

So it is written, so it is done. :D

pauldixonuk, Sep 4, 2005
Ask a Question