Auditioning the MEG RL-901K

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 3DSonics, Aug 27, 2005.

1. 3DSonics

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Bub,

I didn't mention ATC. I'm not saying that ATC are really flat, and that I prefer 'mega bass' PMC instead. Forget ATC for a minute, if possible. My comments were not even aimed at them. :rolleyes:

I prefer to hear the entire recorded range of course. But some hifi speakers can sound very dull - with no extension at all, in both treble and sub bass. You know the kind, where they sound like a little single paper driver design, but they're not. Almost like all the fun and music has been designed out of them, for the sake of an accurate graph or something. For me, everytime someone say's "these speakers are so flat" I can't help being reminded of previous demo's of very dull lifeless, tiny scale presentations.

pauldixonuk, Aug 31, 2005
  2. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I wasn't talking about ATC, Paul. AFAIK, flat response has always been one of the aims of hi-fi. Now, we are told by an eminent expert, we need some sort of poncy audio palette to correct the engineers' mistakes!

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  3. 3DSonics

mr cat Member of the month

here we go again...

mr cat, Aug 31, 2005
  4. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

The shop played all the monitors they had - bar atc which they are a dealer for but didnt have one in stock. End of story. Nothing odd there. Other speakers that were not mentioned are not offered by that dealership.

It says a lot that people buy by reviews and recommendation of prestigious users without listening to any alternatives at the same price and performance level.

Room eq is not anything to do with the recording - it is to do with the speaker - room interface. Study some basic acoustics bub.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
    anon_bb, Aug 31, 2005
  5. 3DSonics

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I wonder if the benefits of the eq for the room outweigh the effect on the audio signal?

I have no experience, but have heard conflicting opinions. Some rate all this hi tech approach, like eq and time alignment etc. However it often makes things better in one exact seating position, but much worse for everywhere else in a room. Not ideal if you don't listen alone! I did consider a Tact pre a while ago, but I think it's like a dog chasing his tail really.

pauldixonuk, Aug 31, 2005
  6. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

If you have an active system you can have eq "for free" as part of the crossover. I wouldnt consider eq for a passive system. Its hard to do well and should be combined with room treatments.

anon_bb, Aug 31, 2005
  7. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

That knowledge is implicit in what I wrote, but you don't pay enough attention to notice things like that.

Home auditioning of large unwieldy speakers like the the big ATCs is really not feasible. I've been around the block a few times, heard plenty of big, expensive speakers, and know a good sound when I hear it.

The absolute clincher was Alan's recording session. After that, I knew that the ATCs are extremely accurate, and there's nothing that anyone can say, try, or do to alter that knowledge.

The petty sniping at ATCs comes from people who clearly have minimal experience with them.

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  8. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Bub,

This thread is not about atc. A comment was made in passing that the shop was an atc dealer but they had none in stock. End of story. Noone is sniping at atc - nor are they interested in discussing them. Except you. For the record I have heard ATCs in the home environment. It corroborated what I heard in all the dems. Their basic character is unchanged. If the midrange driver produces adverse effects then it will do so regardless of room, installation or ancillaries. You have heard isobarisks bub. That hardly qualifies you as an expert. People have used your logic to justify all sorts of completely different sounding speakers to be accurate so clearly your logic is flawed. You are right we cannot alter your OPINION (not the same as knwoledge) - as you have a closed mind. The fact that other speakers would sound EVEN MORE accurate is something you clearly cannot conceive. Sure an atc sounds more accurate than a pair of cheap missions. Go post this tripe on PFM instead. It doesnt wash here.

Now you have been asked multiple times to stop discussing atc. If you want to discuss atc then start your own thread. This thread is about MEG.

Nick.

anon_bb, Aug 31, 2005
  9. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

No-one is interested in MEG, seemingly. Nearly 24 hrs went by without a reply, and Mr T has started two anti-ATC threads here recently, and mentioned them again in the opening post.

Isobariks are far from being the only other speakers I've heard, dude.

I don't think there's any evidence to support your assertion that "other speakers would sound EVEN MORE accurate". If there is, please produce it.

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  10. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes you heard missions.

Mr T replied to me about MEG. He has never started an anti-atc thread. He mentioned the shop was an atc dealer but didnt stock them. But compared the meg with the rest of their lines. That is hardly anti-atc. Yes both MEG and PMC are more accurate. Go and lsiten for yourself.

Moderators - can this guy be cautioned concerning his conduct? This thread is going to end up being closed - the third time that I am aware of due to this guy.

anon_bb, Aug 31, 2005
  11. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I haven't hear Missions - where did I mention those? You seem to be living in a Fool's Paradise, as they say.

There is no evidence whatsoever that "both MEG and PMC are more accurate". You saying it doesn't make it true.

How much time have you spent listening to ATC speakers, in total?

Stop whining to the mods.

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  12. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

Bub - thats a little hypocritical given I was banned on another forum after you complained to the mods (also atc owners) when I rode rough shod over your delusions.

If you start an atc thread I wiull be happy to answer your questions about ATC. I have heard PMC next to ATC and I beleive they are more accurate. When you have heard pmc 3-ways you can venture your opinion also.

anon_bb, Aug 31, 2005
  13. 3DSonics

lordsummit moderate mod

Any chance of staying on topic guys. This seems to be rather a circular argument. BBV this thread will only be closed if it becomes pointless or people start attacking each other. I'd consider your part in it too, you're arguing just as much.

lordsummit, Aug 31, 2005
  14. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

I didn't complain to the moderators. If you must know, I found you amusing, and attempted to stay the moderators' collective hand. But they disliked you intensely, or so it would seem, so you got the boot. I did my best for you, sorry.

I haven't heard PMC, as you know. The lukewarm reputation puts me off. I'm after the best, not the also-rans.

How much time with ATC, again?

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  15. 3DSonics

anon_bb Honey Badger

I am trying to get it back on topic. Bub is the one that took it off topic - this isnt a thread about atc. Thorsten is being persecuted from thread to thread now as he doesnt like the atcs - which is his choice. Bub is being disruptive and often very rude.

Bub - you called for me to banned - its on the thread for all to see. Along with the naim linn atc owning moderators when they alll behaved the same way you are behaving here when they dont like someones opinion. You have never heard pmc so know nothing about them. Except what you read in atc marketing. Now stay on topic. You want to talk about atc then start an atc thread.

I will answer no further non-thread related posts on this thread from you bub. It is just perpetuating your nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2005
    anon_bb, Aug 31, 2005
  16. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Naim & Linn are hi-fi companies who have their own record labels, please name some other hi-fi companies who do that.

The mods @ pfm do not use Linn/Naim/ATC, AFAIK. Anyway, moan to them about your ban, not me, for I am your friend.

How much time, in total, have you spent with ATCs, again?

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  17. 3DSonics

The Devil IHTFP

Yoo-hoo! Over here!

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  18. 3DSonics

Markus S Trade

Rico has Linn/Naim/Mana IIRC. Tony has NA/Densen/Harbeth. Joel has NA/Accu/Harbeth. ALW has Linn/modded Naim/Naim. Richard has Mitchell/WAD/Impulse.

Noone has ATC.

Markus S, Aug 31, 2005
  19. 3DSonics

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Please stop stirring / distorting the truth. You were politely asked on pfm to reduce the number of posts you made as you were on occasion making up to 50 posts a day with a correspondingly poor S/N ratio. You were therefore set a limit of 10 posts which you chose to deliberately ignore. As such you were banned. Bub had nothing whatsoever to do with this.

Tony.

PS My apologies to ZG mods for bringing this up, but given comments on this thread it needed to be clarified publicly.

PPS No pfm moderator has ever used ATC speakers to my knowledge.

TonyL, Aug 31, 2005
  20. 3DSonics

lordsummit moderate mod

If any more is posted on the subject I will close the thread and ban anyone who brings it up. You might also like to change your handle BBV. Please don't make me carry out these threats.

lordsummit, Aug 31, 2005
Ask a Question