Behringer DEQ2496

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Oct 2, 2004.

1. I-S

Tenson Moderator

Are you using it's analogue inputs/outputs or digital?

Tenson, Oct 25, 2004
  2. I-S

Croc

i put it between pre and power - ao it's ADC + DAC.

Croc, Oct 25, 2004
  3. I-S

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

A year later...does anyone here who got one of these things still use it or did you sell it on?

There a lot of positive comment on PFM at present. I might be interested in trying it.

alanbeeb, Nov 24, 2005
  4. I-S

Tenson Moderator

I still use mine. I don't think any system should be without one really it can do so many different things it could probably improve most systems. I was just talking about how you can use it to time align subwoofers on another forum.

As well as some room correction, I still use it as my main DAC and it sounds great too!

Tenson, Nov 24, 2005
  5. I-S

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I haven't yet bought the equalizer but I bought a Behringer DX2310 active filter and used it to determine the best bass/full-range crossover points for my new speakers. I found the thing invaluable. It was very reliable straight out of the box and cost next to nothing. From the results of these experiments I was able to specify the exact crossover points to the bass amp builders.

I'm definitely going to get a Behringer 2496 and will use it (with 3DSonic's mods) on the bass speakers to equalize up to 150-200Hz.

7_V, Nov 24, 2005
  6. I-S

Stuart

Speaking as one of the PFM positive review people, 1 week into this experiment and I'm utterly blown away by this device. I'm discovering so much nuance and subtlety in the music that I'd never before been aware of. I can only liken the impact to a 'speaker upgrade of at least 10x the cost of the Behringer unit.

My pre-conceptions and prejudices about digital processing and equalisation are being shattered.

No doubt it is not a cure all for every hi-fi ill in your life, and its impact will likely depend to some extent on system and expectation matching. Well worth a crack IMHO.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Nov 27, 2005
  7. I-S

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Nov 27, 2005
  8. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I've got it... used it, found some interesting things with it but currently haven't time or space or money to do much with it.

I would consider selling it, along with the matching measurement microphone and cable...

I-S, Nov 27, 2005
  9. I-S

hifikrazy

Are there some caveats for using it within a digital system?, i seem to remember some mentioned somewhere, something about the levels?

hifikrazy, Nov 27, 2005
  10. I-S

Tenson Moderator

If you are using it digital in and digital out, the levels are not an issue provided you use the correct connections. i.e. dont hotwire a coax sp-diff connection onto the AES/EBU socket. It will work, but it may not be perfect.

Isaac, if you want to sell the DEQ2496 give Ya-Boo a PM, he might be interested.

Tenson, Nov 27, 2005
  11. I-S

mr cat Member of the month

i might be interested too isaac...but would have to be after xmas tho....how much would u sell it for tho..?

if u do sell it before then - no probs!

mr cat, Nov 27, 2005
  12. I-S

pm with sensible offers. I won't split the mic/cable from it (and they'll give you access to room eq/measurement) though. No particular timeframe for it but if someone comes up with an acceptable offer then I'll take it.

I-S, Nov 27, 2005
  13. I-S

eisenach

Did you sell it?

eisenach, Jan 25, 2006
  14. I-S

MikeD Militant Nutter

Just picked up a DEQ2496 nice-n-cheap, from a mate. :)

Where to start?

Plugging it in would be nice :) I've only got unbalanced RCA ins on my amp, and next to no budget :( Gonna have to hunt out/make up some cables to use the balanced output.

Til then, I get to stare at the pretty lights :D

MikeD, Jun 5, 2006
  15. I-S

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Jun 5, 2006
  16. I-S

MikeD Militant Nutter

Cheers mate, I'll be heading in to town to pick up some for free (got credit with the local music shop :)).

Any recommendations for a calibration mic/anyone got one I can loan for the price of postage? (how cheeky am I? :D)

Going to have to pick up an USB MIDI interface so I can flash this thing, its still running 1.2B :yikes: Could always buy one, use it, then take it back :MILD: that'd be wrong, though :devil:

MikeD, Jun 6, 2006
  17. I-S

anubisgrau

how's this device just as a DAC compared to cheaper ones on the market such as derek shek's NOS? can you at the same time run it as a DAC and a room EQ?

anubisgrau, Jun 6, 2006
  18. I-S

I have the matching ECM8000

In stock form it gets trounced by the NOS and the modded Superdac IME

Yes. Or you can run analogue in to room EQ to digital out. Or digital in to EQ to digital out. Or.... basically you can do any permutation of analogue or digital I/O with various EQ, decompression, compression, Stereo effects, etc, etc, etc.

I-S, Jun 6, 2006
  19. I-S

Tenson Moderator

In my experience however, it is a pretty good DAC. Very different to a NOS, in my view better (but I don't like the NOS I have heard much). SuperDAC is probably a little better but can hardly be said to trounce it. Besides I can show you quick mod to make it better than any of those, though you loose some output gain. Both BBV and RobHolt have heard the DEQ with this small but effective mod so you could talk to them if you want.

Oh.. just read Isaac said modded superDAC, I dunno how it would do compared to that, but you can mod away to your hearts content!

Tenson, Jun 6, 2006
  20. I-S

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Assuming you've got a good mike, can this box of tricks measure room response or automatically set itself or do you need separate software (like ETF5)?

Cheers
    Steve

7_V, Jun 6, 2006
Ask a Question