do you get any front to back soundstage?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Rory, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Rory

Stereo Mic

Oedipus,

it's all available on the net, indeed some of it is available on the links here. I find your posts tedious now to be honest and will leave you to argue with yourself.

Steve & Paul, my answer would be that in order to maximise the ration of direct vs reflected sound, speakers should be toed in to face the listener. Most speakers seem however to be designed to be listened to slightly off axis these days.

Stereo Mic, Nov 22, 2005
  2. Rory

Saab

Indeed,some even have new crossovers deliberatley designed to do this,and then marketed as such,these are how my speakers are described;

our Global Axis Integration Network crossover design and driver radiation pattern allows the speaker to radiate a "bubble" of sound instead of a narrow beam, enabling 3-D imaging over a very wide listening area. Combined with our rear-firing Ambience Retrieval System for spatial depth, our Virtual Reality speaker design reproduces sound that is incredibly real! Find out why 19 magazine reviews have stated "the Von Schweikert speakers do indeed create Virtual Reality!"

there you go,off axis is now virtual reality,and a hole in the back is now a rear-firing Ambience Retrieval System.

Saab, Nov 22, 2005
  3. Rory

Paul Ranson

A given.

Given the incomprehensible reluctance on display I'm going to guess. I think 'The Stereo Equations' show that coincident directional microphones mounted at 90 degrees and oriented to 45 degrees each side of the axis produce a good image on stereo speakers at 60 degress included angle. Which isn't immediately obvious.

But it's just a guess. What does the AES say?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Rory

Tenson Moderator

I haven’t been following this thread for a while but I have listened to the test CD Zanash was taking about that has both a soundstage depth, and height test.

The depth test has someone speaking in a room and moving away from the microphone. While this does sound like he is further back I think it is only because you hear far more reverb and room interaction as he moves away. He doesn't sound a lot like he is going behind the speakers, only like he was recorded a long way from the microphone.

The height test however is an interesting one! I didn't know what I was listening to when I first heard it. There is a swishing/clicking sound that is supposed to move up from the speaker. When I didn't know what it was supposed to be doing I thought it sounded like it was phasing differently and somehow sounded nowhere particular in the room. When I did know it was supposed to be going upwards though, it was quite obvious really. It isn't 100% convincing but it does indeed sound liek the noise rises about 5 or 6ft above the speaker! There is then another that arches over from one speaker to the other.

It is obviously a man-made effect though and I would not expect this to occur from normal recording at all. If someone uses the same effect in some studio produced music though, sure Hi-Fi can do a reasonable impersonation of height!

It looks like the disc was made in the early 90’s so I don’t see why the effect could not be common place now but I haven’t heard of many studios using such stuff on normal music. There are indeed special effect plug-ins and units available though.

Tenson, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Rory

zanash

there is a current version of the disc.......

I must say I got a couple of Ana Caram Cds after hearing the samplers.

An intresting effect......a couple of the tracks seem to use the screech click in a flat plane, that previously I'd thought was to get the horizontal. But relistening to the disc I sent ,these appear to describe the horizontal limits of a sphere, whereas the height signal describes the vertical limits.

I have any number of cd's where I can hear height as well as width and depth. Infact it would be closer to say I only have one or to discs that don't !

i'm glad that you have heard what I hear .....It means I'm not imagining things and all those doubters are either ignorant of what some systems can do or are deaf [this is said with humour, so I don't offend too many people].

zanash, Nov 24, 2005
  6. Rory

ChrisPa

Very interested

I'd like to try playing with this. Suggestions for source of NXT panels. What about price/quality of different panels?

Ta

ChrisPa, Nov 26, 2005
  7. Rory

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Chris, see my answer to you in the other thread. PM me if you want.

Cheers
    Steve

7_V, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Rory

yahoodie elbow valves,mmm loverly

I remember a while back, i popped into a hifi dealer in liverpool (better hi-fi) and had a listen in the demo room.
    On demo was a SME deck, loads of linn amps, and some mahoosive, 3 sided, TDL loudspeakers.
    The 3d soundstage was remarkable.loads of height, width and depth.This spread far beyond the boundaries of the room.
    In fact i felt as though i could have walked around in it, it was that believable.
    The speakers where around 7 foot into the room, and this obviously helped.
    So, you can get width, height AND depth, and plenty of it.
    just a matter of proper setting up and positioning, and also the dimensions of the room (which i feel is the most important).

yahoodie elbow, Nov 27, 2005
Ask a Question