Firefox 1.0RC1 is out

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sgt Rock, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Sgt Rock

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

Well. I've installed 0.9 anyway see if one of the pop3 handling improvements they mention is the "processing folders" issue. checking with Bugzilla does appear that some kind of fix has been written. maybe it's been incorportated. I'll just have to wait and see. Either way, they have at least fixed the lack of marking a recieved email as having an attachment before opening it to find out.

I might install Firefox RC2 see if it still has the annoying habit of showing image placeholders before showing the picture.

BTW - does anyone know how you can tell the coders what you'd like to see in their applications? Is that kind of thing possible??

GTM

GTM, Nov 4, 2004
  2. Sgt Rock

auric FOSS

A visit to forums.mozillazine , pick the one you want and offer to do a bit of testing then you might be in with a chance.

auric, Nov 4, 2004
  3. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

How would you rather it worked ?

1) As is, showing image placeholders before showing the picture.

2) Not displaying a whole page till it downloads everything.

3) Displaying the text and then reformatting the whole page once the pictures had downloaded.

#2 would be a major pain in the arse.

#3 would really piss people off.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Sgt Rock

That is your opinion. I don't share it. IE manages perfectly well to render the page text in the correct places leaving blank gaps whilst the graphics is downloaded. IE has an advanced setting which allows you to see image place holders. It's not selected as default. Care to take a guess how many IE users choose to select it so they can have the pleasure of seeing a box prior to the graphic loading? So few that 99% of people don't even know the choice exists. IMO, FF should either do what IE does or at least give the option to do so. But I suspect it won't happen as rendering like it does is part and parcel of the Mozilla myth of being a faster web browser than IE. IME it isn't. It doesn't load web pages any quicker than IE does. It just does it in a way that makes it seem like it is doing things quicker than IE. IE will sometimes do #2 in your list, FF shows the page as it downloads. The final page on both ends up being fully loaded in almost identical times. once just seems quicker than the other.

I've tried plenty of browsers over the years. They all claim to be qiucker than IE but none of them are when you actually time them. Some may seem quicker but none dowloads the complete page significantly faster than any of the IE versions. Not bad going when you consider that IE is supposedly 2-3 times the size of most of the other browsers.

Just installed FF RC2 and I'm only 1/4 of the way down my list of favourites and already I've found several websites that aren't rendered correctly in FF.
    As I've previously stated. I don't care about the "reasons" for this. I just know that one browser makes pages look right the other often doesn't.

GTM

GTM, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

I wasn't having a go, no need to throw your toys out the cot.

Re the only 1/4 of the way down my list of favourites, post one of the urls.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Sgt Rock

sideshowbob Trisha

I'm genuinely surprised by this. I've been using Firefox for a long time and find it quite difficult to find sites that don't render properly.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 4, 2004
  7. Sgt Rock

michaelab desafinado

^^^^^^^
    What he said.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 4, 2004
  8. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Face it, FF sucks :p

PBirkett, Nov 5, 2004
  9. Sgt Rock

I wouldn't go that far. I actually think it's quite good. There are just a couple of little things about it that bug me.

Sgt.

Sorry, I never intended for that post to come out the way it reads. I was just pointing out what I see as the pro's and cons, not having a tantrum. :D

Bob/Michael.

I'm at work now so I don't have my list to hand. But I'll try to remember some and post them up. For all I know it may be specific to my pc at work, but I'd be surprise if it was because I only did a complete clean install of XP recently.

btw- Is it just me or has RC2 lost it's tabbed function???? The last FF version I installed just seemed to put up new sites in different tabs. This one doesn't and despite changing a few of the tab settings I can't get it to do so.

GTM
    GTM

GTM, Nov 5, 2004
  10. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I know it doesnt suck, just winding people up. However, it definitely is far from being perfect.

PBirkett, Nov 5, 2004
  11. Sgt Rock

Robbo

No different to IE then.

Robbo, Nov 5, 2004
  12. Sgt Rock

ok well here is one for starters:

http://www.myvue2.com/

Another is my cable modem config page. Obviously none of you will be able to see that :D

I'll try and remember more through out the day.

GTM

GTM, Nov 5, 2004
  13. Sgt Rock

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Never said that was perfect either ;)

PBirkett, Nov 5, 2004
  14. Sgt Rock

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Not to put too fine a point on it, I think he probably meant 'que' in Castilian, notwithstanding the well known popularity of Portuguese in the best informed parts of Watford.

This is because, as you doubtlessly know, 'que?' means 'what?' (sometimes rendered as 'uh?' or 'wa?' in less educationally favoured English circles), whereas 'que', in Portuguese, is an integrant particle. So, if you say 'the girl - who had very pleasant manners - etc', it would translate in Portuguese as 'A gaija, que era uma grande cabra, etc.'

When Portuguese people want to express doubts on something, they usually say «o quê?». However, this is rather rude. A preferable expression would be, roughly translated 'I didn't quite get your meaning; would you care to elaborate further'.

However, since there is so marked an interest for this sensitive issue, honesty forces us to concede that, in the less educated circles, the question is put more succinctly: 'ã?'. In the Northern parts of the country, this is usually phrased in a more colourful way: 'fuâda-se, o quêa, carailho?'

I hope this has somewhat cleared this thorny and indeed important issue.

Yours ever,

Professor Ulrich von Bohr.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
    Rodrigo de Sá, Nov 5, 2004
  15. Sgt Rock

sideshowbob Trisha

That clears it up, obrigado.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 5, 2004
  16. Sgt Rock

:yikes: I never knew you even knew such phrases let alone would articulate them !! :D

GTM

GTM, Nov 5, 2004
  17. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

I see what you mean, but there are errors in the html :-

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...54153C03177&cn=1&ln=1&ci=14&fi=4024|0|ALIVSST

Check out the following in IE and FF :-

http://www.myvue2.com/timetable.asp...97066A65579&cn=1&ln=1&ci=14&fi=4024|0|ALIVSST

No offence taken BTW GTM :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Nov 5, 2004
  18. Sgt Rock

I don't. We have a German Professor staying with us for a Congress and he just typed these offending words. I think I have no option but to show him the door. I do apologize!

19. Sgt Rock

Achtung!

Professor Dr. de S. has just left, allegedly he has a busy schedule today. This just shows how cowardly he behaves. Aber es ist wahr that he has an 8 hour seminar today. So you can talk to ME.

von Bohr

20. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

I think they've found a bug with tabs and by default switched the options off, you can re-enable via Tools -> Options -> Advanced

Sgt Rock, Nov 5, 2004
Ask a Question