I don't like Bryston 4BST as much

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hifienthusiast, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hifienthusiast

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Interesting, I found the brinkmann to excentuate sssibiliance and was a tad soft in the bass.

lAmBoY, Aug 9, 2005
  2. hifienthusiast

anon_bb Honey Badger

Resisitance and capacitance arent the problem its the active components. Totally tonally neutral I should have said. It was a tonal discussion I think.

Hmm I didnt find that - what was the rest of the system?

anon_bb, Aug 9, 2005
  3. hifienthusiast

tones compulsive cantater

Don't know about that. I'm listening to a 606 at this very moment. Not at all muddled or lacking in anything.

tones, Aug 9, 2005
  4. hifienthusiast

hifienthusiast

Front end is a Meridian 507 CD player and a Michell Gyrodec SE/RB300/Ortofon MC20 Supreme, Trichord Dino phono stage or the internal MM phono stage of the Croft Vitale using two ECC83 with a Ortofon MCA10 MC headamp (do you remember this headamp? made in 1979 using discrete transistors, powered by 2 batteries, all electrolytic caps replaced with new ones).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Meridian 507 is my most favourite CD players among those I have owned in the past. It seems that people differ in opinions. I do prefer the Quad 77 power amp to the Bryston 4BST for driving the ATC SCM12 in my set up/room acoustic.

Hon

hifienthusiast, Aug 9, 2005
  5. hifienthusiast

brinkmann + audio aero capitol + amphion Xenon

cables - nordost i think.

rgds //lamboy

lAmBoY, Aug 9, 2005
  6. hifienthusiast

anon_bb Honey Badger

audio aero cd and amphion loudspeakers? I presume this was at walrus. I havent heard that cd player but I think I have heard that speaker at walrus given the look of the lower driver but I am not positive. I heard the brinkmann amp with that speaker and had to change to a pair of spendors which were then fine, when my friend went to audition a new deck. If it is the one I am thinking of then I would apportion the blame there and not to the amp.

anon_bb, Aug 9, 2005
  7. hifienthusiast

merlin

Much like yourself there eh?

The Brinkmann amp was a major let down when I heard it at Walrus - you can do far better for less. I had the same impression as you Lamboy.

merlin, Aug 9, 2005
  8. hifienthusiast

anon_bb Honey Badger

I should have guessed you would chip in - what was the rest of the system you heard it in?

anon_bb, Aug 10, 2005
  9. hifienthusiast

Well, when we changed the amp to an MF kw500 or something (i forget which) the problem went away - so I bought the Amphions :) - which I have heard sing before at other shows/demos. Right now I am running a belcanto evo2i with the Xenons and literaly this week my micromega CDP has died so I am on the lookout for a new cdp or dac....but I will leave that for another thread.

lAmBoY, Aug 10, 2005
  10. hifienthusiast

merlin

Doesn't really matter. I have told you though that I will feel the need to interject when you post misleading claims on the internet - the comment regards the Brinkmann and Xenons fits that description.

Both Brinkmann and Bryston are IMO harmonically threadbare. Some might claim this is neutral, citing low distortion figures and other misunderstood clap trap. The question is. If they really are neutral and neither add nor subtract anything, why does sound so artificial and electronic in character when played through them?

merlin, Aug 10, 2005
  11. hifienthusiast

tones compulsive cantater

B'gosh, you're right, you know!

tones, Aug 10, 2005
  12. hifienthusiast

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I haven't noticed my 14bsst sounding artificial and electronic in character through my Dittons..
    It sounds more like the studio monitor sound I always wanted when working as a beeb chap, but didn't realise until I subsituted the Lumley 120 valve amps with the Bryston. Happy as a dog in wotsit now!

leonard smalls, Aug 10, 2005
  13. hifienthusiast

anon_bb Honey Badger

lamboy

Ah well I didnt find that when the amphion was removed - maybe they just dont work well together?

Merlin - what a load of rubbish. The only misleading claims are yours. Harmonically threadbare ... twaddle! You mean they dont add the distortion that you like.

"why does sound so artificial and electronic in character when played through them?"

Thats simple - they dont.

Are walrus aware of who you are? I am curious to get their opinion of you. What is your name?

anon_bb, Aug 10, 2005
  14. hifienthusiast

merlin

No! I mean they don't make me think I am listening to musicians, they make me think I am listening to a recording. Great for studios but over damped for most hifi setups (although I can imagine them working with the Dittons).

Yes you could say that Walrus are aware of me. I don't give my name to potential stalkers I'm afraid.

merlin, Aug 10, 2005
  15. hifienthusiast

anon_bb Honey Badger

Haha dont flatter yourself. Why would I make the effort? I beleive I have enough to go on already ;)

Over damped? Please clarify.

anon_bb, Aug 10, 2005
  16. hifienthusiast

It certainly does - seismic bass, although the Dittons seem to produce plenty deep bass from most amps. But certainly quickest with the Bryston..
    The only thing that annoys me about the 14bsst is when you leave the rear on/off switch on, and use the front membrane switch instead each time we have a power cut the amp comes on with the power returning.
    If I'm away it could be on for a week or so using 215w/hr!

leonard smalls, Aug 10, 2005
  17. hifienthusiast

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

It seems some people are more sensitive to compressed dynamics than others. I would second Merlin's opinion. You can adjust your ear to the Bryston sound, but in direct comparison to a more natural sounding gear the difference is hard not to notice. To my ear the attack, sustain and (to a lesser degree) decay with Bryston is not quite natural. It's getting better in a well damped room though. Having said that I refer only to ST series, I've not enough experience with later amps.

Nomoretweaks, Aug 10, 2005
  18. hifienthusiast

anon_bb Honey Badger

Compressed dynamics via bryston? I bought them because they are the exact opposite. We will have to agree to disagree in this one ;-). What kit do you think offers better dynamics just out of interest?

anon_bb, Aug 10, 2005
  19. hifienthusiast

midlifecrisis Firm member

I'd second that. I have the 7BSST monoblocks, which I find very neutral and very dynamic; also the only amps I tested which could get really deep and controlled bass out of my N802s. Perhaps because of the current they draw, I have found they respond quite audibly to mains cable upgrades. I also got hugely better results running them with balanced cables (from WM..) than single ended (though how much of that's down to balanced v single as opposed to the balanced cable itself being better quality I can't say)

midlifecrisis, Aug 11, 2005
  20. hifienthusiast

Compressed dynamics is something that I haven't noticed!
    In fact the Bryston is the most dynamic I've used...
    And I haven't even got a "serious" mains lead on it - tried it with the huge fat one off the cdp (a Black Rhodium I think) and it appeared to sound the same.
    Running it balanced is good though - seems slightly more detailed.

leonard smalls, Aug 11, 2005
Ask a Question