I think Mana is gone out of business

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by AlainT, Sep 12, 2005.

1. AlainT

analoguekid Planet Rush

Did they have the Horn of Jericho in Wales then?

FWIW although I'm not a fan of their stuff, I sincerely hope that they haven't gone to the wall, would be a shame if another british company was having difficulties.

analoguekid, Sep 12, 2005
  2. AlainT

tones compulsive cantater

Generous 11
    1And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
    2And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Anglesey; and they dwelt there.
    3And they said one to another, Go to, let us make angle iron, and smelt it thoroughly. And they had iron for frame, and welding rods.
    4And they said, Go to, let us build us a hi-fi support, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
    5And HOBBY came down to see the angle iron tower, which the children of men builded.
    6And HOBBY said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and they will have one single hi-fi upgrade route: and nothing will be given to alternative upgrade routes, and the faith will wither and die.
    7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their hearing, that they may not perceive one another's upgrade.
    8So HOBBY scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
    9Therefore is the name of it called Babble; because HOBBY did there confound the hi-fi language of all the earth: and from thence did HOBBY scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth and ensure a plentiful supply of different upgrade paths.

tones, Sep 12, 2005
  3. AlainT

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

bbv & tones, your cracking me up here :D

pauldixonuk, Sep 12, 2005
  4. AlainT

The Devil IHTFP

hohoho, yes very droll. I can't stop laughing, what is wrong?

The Devil, Sep 12, 2005
  5. AlainT

Stereo Mic

Sorry but would you by chance be that Still Tones chap, quoted (in a rather mocking fashion I felt) in the latest HFC?

Stereo Mic, Sep 12, 2005
  6. AlainT

Mr_Sukebe

Bub, with all due respect, I believe that users who were not impressed by it's effects are fully entitled to their opinion without being insulted.
    Some of us like it, some don't. Surely that's enough?

Mr_Sukebe, Sep 12, 2005
  7. AlainT

You got the point, be it upwardly or downwardly directing, humble or stainless steal?

tones, Sep 12, 2005
  8. AlainT

I was? That's nice, must go and look...

Er, where? Or perhaps I should say, which one of the many places? As one of the resident sceptics of HFC and custodian of "The Myths of Hi-Fi" thread, I have legions of fans.

The penny has just dropped. You mean in the magazine? Wow! My stock has risen! Pity that it's not available in Swizzieland.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
    tones, Sep 12, 2005
  9. AlainT

Not to worry, Mr. S., James and I understand each other, and since everyone else queries my hearing, he'd be very lonely if he didn't. He was even kind enough to buy the abovementioned failed Mana Sound Frame from me. It is currently but a single finite element (oops! should I have said that?) in his particular Tower of Fable.

tones, Sep 12, 2005
  10. AlainT

The Devil IHTFP

There are some advantages to living in Suisse, and that is one of them.

The Devil, Sep 12, 2005
  11. AlainT

On that, James, m'boy, we are totally and completely agreed. One load fewer of self-serving hermaphroditic "experts" to avoid. (Mind you, the ones in the big German magazines are just as cracked - I think the disease Audiophilia nervosa is universal).

tones, Sep 12, 2005
  12. AlainT

The Devil IHTFP

I never knew that they were actual hermaphrodites. How do they get that past equal opportunities?

The Devil, Sep 12, 2005
  13. AlainT

I'm assuming that the species must be self-reproducing as no pair of beings with any wit would be so daft as to produce them. It might be the only way that they could ever get equal opportunity, instead of just being taken somewhere and put down.

tones, Sep 12, 2005
  14. AlainT

The Devil IHTFP

Harsh. They are jobbing journalists with an interest. Allsorts: good, bad & indifferent. The "beauty" about hi-fi journalism is that it's (supposedly) subjective, so nothing can be challenged.

The Devil, Sep 12, 2005
  15. AlainT

Perhaps, but I really do feel that they're generally a collection of total humbugs (and in some cases downright liars), firmly in the pockets of the advertisers. The Real Thing sadly apparently died out with the disappearance of the old "Gramophone", where they actually realised that the purpose of this stuff was to play music. This is why I no longer read the magazines. I've even stopped perusing them in Zürich station at nights, waiting for my train. Waste of energy. I go and raid Musik Hug for cheap CDs instead.

tones, Sep 12, 2005
  16. AlainT

The Devil IHTFP

Ah yes "Gramophone" was very good. They liked ATC speakers, and kept giving them awards.

The Devil, Sep 12, 2005
  17. AlainT

The basic message of "Gramophone" was that all hi-fi was good, but that certain things would appeal to some folk and not to others. For example, Geoffrey Horn didn't like LS3/5as and said so and why, but always from the point of view that this was the opinion of Geoffrey Horn and not Holy Writ. And I still treasure John Borwick's wonderful personal reply to me on cables - "I would never query the right of an enthusiast to give his super-system a birthday present, if paying over the odds makes him feel better".

tones, Sep 12, 2005
  18. AlainT

The Devil IHTFP

The Devil, Sep 12, 2005
  19. AlainT

Alex S User

And with a deft touch the conversation moved from Mana to ATC. Do you have a view on the LP12?

Alex S, Sep 12, 2005
  20. AlainT

anon_bb Honey Badger

Bub suffers from trimania ;-)

anon_bb, Sep 12, 2005
Ask a Question