nos dac problem?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kane, Feb 27, 2005.

1. kane

T-bone Sanchez

I must admit I dont like the idea of the psu being so close to the circuits but if it works.

Aitcho, you defecting too?

T-bone Sanchez, Mar 2, 2005
  2. kane

Aitcho

The Stontronics 5 Amp Power Supply SMPS 60W 12V output looks interesting BlueMax, will put that on my list of possibles.

Are there any advantages to a 'switch mode PSU' compared to the 'stabilised' one that you mentioned?

Although in the case of the Derek Shek DAC he did tell me that any voltage exceeding 13volt could result in possible damage to components so that rules out the stabilised one outputting 13.8volts.

Aitcho

Aitcho, Mar 2, 2005
  3. kane

BlueMax

Some people argue against 'switch mode PSU'. But many big companies use them. eg. Pioneer in their highly acclaimed 757Ai universal player.

12V lead acid batteries can get to over 13.2V when fully charged. But Derek Shek is the designer; so best to follow his advice.

BlueMax, Mar 2, 2005
  4. kane

BlueMax

Defector or asylum seeker from persecution at the 'other' place? ;)

Quite a few from what I gathered. :eek:

BlueMax, Mar 2, 2005
  5. kane

BlueMax

Click on his name and send a private message at eBay. Or use the 'contact member' button at
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v309/mhdtlab/TDA1543V20/

£70 was in November. He might have put the prices up due to his success at eBay. He will also help with 'invoicing' so that you don't pay import duty, VAT and admin fee by the carrier.

While you are at it, ask him about his new "Digital Renaissance" (TDA1543V3) that Harryo (oopps! Aitcho) mentioned.

BlueMax, Mar 2, 2005
  6. kane

Class A

What are the differences between the digital password and the Digital Renaissance?.
    Cheers

Class A, Mar 2, 2005
  7. kane

greg Its a G thing

David,
    I've been using one of Derek Shek's with my SCD-1 with good results - some improvements, some "alternatives" *ie. different/perhaps better according to preference. Derek points out that the SCD-1's own output may be preferable with certain music and the NON OS DAC with other types.
    I definitely recommend trying one out, even if it ends up in a second system.
    Cheers
    Greg

greg, Mar 2, 2005
  8. kane

Class A

Thanks for that Greg, what sort of music materials do you think the nos dac will have an edge over the output of the scd-1?. I m ears for all type of music, but mainly listen to vocals and acoustic.
    cheers
    David

Class A, Mar 2, 2005
  9. kane

Class A

Greg
    I had my scd1 serviced by sony corp just before christmas, they changed the sled motor and sync lazer and the result is a much better sounding machine.
    PM me and I will tell you how to get this service for free....

Class A, Mar 2, 2005
  10. kane

Aitcho

Well at least you dont have to don a tin-hat in this forum when you mention NosDACS! ;)

Aitcho

Aitcho, Mar 2, 2005
  11. kane

Aitcho

I have just been visiting the mad-house! ;)

The "Digital Renaissance" DAC I mentioned has been up for sale on eBay, so far I have only seen the one which sold for $256 (US Dollars).

According to the builder "there is a little sonic difference (ver3.0 is smoother) over the "Digital Password", he also went on to say that "the ver3.0 is not the improved version of ver2.0 only a different approach in design".

Hope the person who bought the "Digital Renaissance" posts his experience of it somewhere on the web.

Aitcho

Aitcho, Mar 2, 2005
  12. kane

Aitcho

I have just found the technical description of the "Digital Renaissance" that "mhdtlab" posted on eBay:-

1. New V3.0 “Digital Renaissanceâ€Â

2. DUAL power supply input AC115V / 230V, (will work on 110-120V, 220-240V, 50/60Hz (Specify your voltage if you win)

3. Acceptable digital inputs: SPDIF Format Fiber optic Toslink and Coaxial RCA and BNC

4. Dual power supply for DAC and Vacuum Tube filament

5. Vacuum tube: NOS sylvania 6BF7W subminiature pencil tube

6. Vacuum tube is working in dual low voltage (+19V and –19V, unloaded)

7. 94V grade fiber glass PCB

8. Acrylic case: 5mm transparent black top, sides and bottom; 5mm transparent black front and rear panels, please check photos.

9. Case in a tiny cute dimension of 21cm (W) x 6cm (H) x 14.5cm (L)

10. Engraved front and back faces for professional looking.

11. Massive hi-end components used including:

* Specially Designed 230/115 Volts Power Transformer

* Philips ultra fast/soft recovery diodes BYV26C

* Elna audio capacitors Silmic, Cerafine, R2O, RJH caps

* OTK Paper in Oil/ Film and Foil military capacitors for best sonic and long last reliability.

* Rubycon ZA series top of line hiend capacitor.

* Sanyo OSCON capacitors

* Massive military grade resistors including Philips 0.1% MPR24, Vishay bulk foil VAR.

* Tocos Hi-Frequency BRED/Filter

* Hi-end quality on board pure copper RCA jackets*

12.Active Components including CS8412/4, TDA1543, TL431, LM317, LT1086

13. State of art TDA1543 Non oversampling schematic and layout; no jump wires all over. No chassis wiring all over.

14.No pain no hum!

15.Three On board LEDs indicate: (Visible through transparent black plate)

n Blue Led: Power On (Dimmed out when green led on)

n Green Led: Digital Signal Locked

n Red Led: Error Digital Signal (no signal or error in signal)

Not being technically minded it does not mean a lot to me.

Aitcho

Aitcho, Mar 2, 2005
  13. kane

Graham C

It's just a list - it means bugger all

Graham C, Mar 2, 2005
  14. kane

Aitcho

Talk about coincidences! The person who bought the "Digital Renaissance" off eBay has just posted a couple of early observations over on Audio Asylum:-

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/bbs.html

The thread is titled:- Inexpensive Taiwanese DAC

Aitcho

Aitcho, Mar 2, 2005
  15. kane

BlueMax

Designer/supplier of 'V2.0 Digital Password' and 'Digital Renaissance' is Jiun-Hsien Wu in Taiwan.
    He can be contacted direct at [email protected] for questions and ex-eBay prices.

BlueMax, Mar 4, 2005
  16. kane

Lt Cdr Data om

I had both versions, the dig password and derek's to try both.

There wasn't a colossal difference as one might expect between both, but on balance I just preferred derek's, it was ever so slightly more forward and fullsome sounding, but both were fine, not a lot different really

Lt Cdr Data, Mar 4, 2005
  17. kane

BlueMax

LCD..
    What PSU did you use with Derek's NOS-DAC when comparing against "Digital Password" ?

BlueMax, Mar 4, 2005
  18. kane

Lt Cdr Data om

how do you mean? transport or ancillaries, I can't remember properly, a valve amp and some proacs I think. It was a little while ago now, but not alot has altered.

Do you like your superdac?

I did find that I tried a studio amp with derek's that has an input impedance of 10k ohms, this put too much demand on the nos dac whatever, as low impedance draws more current, which the dac couldn't handle, it went really insipid and weak in the bass, but thrives on a 100k one as with a valve amp.
    So caution with too low amplifiers.

they certainly come into their own on things like strings and acoustic piano, particularly accurate tonality, the valve variant may add some colouration which may be undesirable, and takes away from the simplicity of the nos concept.

Lt Cdr Data, Mar 4, 2005
  19. kane

BlueMax

I meant what you used to supply power to Dereks NOS-DAC. Some people reported sonic gains when NOS-DACs are used with lead acid batteries or with a PSUs with higher current capacity and better design.

For Super DAC I built a 8.8 amp PSU using a toroidal Tx and a diecast aluminium case. Noticeable improvement. Now modding with better caps, rectifiers and op-amps.

BlueMax, Mar 4, 2005
  20. kane

Lt Cdr Data om

I have just had a look in the farnell catalogue, RS, too, you can get plenty of higher rated regulated or switch mode psus that would be eminently suitable for the nos dac, I may just try myself, about £20 plus vat and carriage.
    I don't know whether to wait for Derek's or get a smps I really don't fancy building like Michael has done, not really upto doing a great job of it.

Lt Cdr Data, Mar 6, 2005
Ask a Question