Now this really is snake oil...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Jul 30, 2003.

1. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Sony Trinitrons degauss at power on - think of how loud the "frying pan" noise is on your 29 inch telly when you turn it on dude :) My little 25 inch Sony does the same as well...

I might try using my Antistat gun on a CD one day - if I can be bothered. I think it's defo snake oil though - although most people said that about cleaning vinyl not so long ago :)

domfjbrown, Jul 30, 2003
  2. michaelab

zanash

As far as I know its any TV, they all need to do it at somestage.

Its to do with getting that electron beam to the phosphor[?] grid in a straight line.

I once placed some unshielded speakers too close to a TV with very and I say very strange effects on the picture. This was cured by repeated degaussing of the type previously discussed.

"but we're talking about demagnetising the ink."

Are we ? you maybe !

Are we certain there is no ferrus content, or contamination of the material in a CD ?

Seems unlikely, though the polycarbonate [C16 H14 O3] Aluminium, lacquer [polyeurathane?]
    and ink may be contaminated.

If this phenomena does occur the ink may be the
    culperate, I can find an anlysis on the web.

zanash, Jul 30, 2003
  3. michaelab

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well, you guy's still haven't asked if it, works or not :rolleyes: we don't have the furutec one, but we do have another version on test, does it work, hum yes and no, do you guys remeber the lobster sperm works better on 'certain discs' than others, same sort of principle, cobblers maybe, but there is an audioable difference :eek:

wadia-miester, Jul 30, 2003
  4. michaelab

tones compulsive cantater

But read the gadget blurb again - that's the claim, is it not? This is what we're discussing, is it not?

Contamination? Very tiny indeed - the CD itself is polycarbonate (very dimensionally stable) and the coating over the vacuum-sputtered aluminium is acrylic. All are made to very high standards of purity. There may be metallic catalyst residues in the polymers, but these would be compounds, not free metals. And having worked in the coatings industry for 20 years, I can vouch for the fact that inks also contain a very low quantity of impurities.

So, the answer to the question

Are we certain there is no ferrus content, or contamination of the material in a CD ?

is, to a very high degree, yes.

tones, Jul 30, 2003
  5. michaelab

zanash

So after the rhetoric......

WM and his lobster sperm [messy] can hear a difference/change
    I though there was a slight difference, using the TV to degauss.
    That leaves us with Tone who say can't possibly be a change [even without trying ?].

Anyone else heard anything ?

Lets try an experiment I'd say most people have a TV

So here the deal......
    Listen to a cd [ I picked an old one that might have been heavily magnetised]
    Switch the TV off at the switch.
    Then hold the CD to the centre of the TV screen say a cm off, parallel with the glass. Turn the TV at the switch and hold it in till it plinks a couple of times and listen again.

Post your results and lets see what happens

zanash, Jul 30, 2003
  6. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Guys - I can hear the difference with the green pen (lobster sperm!) aswell but there's a difference between a £20 pen and a £350 device!

If there was a "de-magnetizer" for £20 I've give it a punt but it's outrageous for people to be charging £350 for a device built on very shaky scientific ground which probably doesn't even work except in peoples imaginations.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 30, 2003
  7. michaelab

No, not Tone, the other one!

I'll give your experiment a try, out of curiosity. As I don't believe in it, I'm listening without expectations of success, so I won't hear anything that isn't there.

tones, Jul 30, 2003
  8. michaelab

You see, where you guys take this, when you leave this open :D
    I said an Audiable difference, I din't say it made it better ;)
    Also because I've heard one, doesn't mean that any one else will (I dont that Tones will, the golden ear trumpet may look cool but I doubt it's effiency )
    Now the R/A (and you know what i think about R/A) re-veal does work :eek: :eek: :eek: well at least on the cd's that have a LOT of Pictures/artwork and writing :confused: :confused: .
    Robbo and myself, a good 6 months back, tried a few little tweeks out on both our systems, even after 'Sperming' the Re-veal worked AS WELL :eek: But only on the more 'Pretty discs', read into that what you will, But I'm sure Robbo will tell you more when he returns home.
    The Demagnitiser (deguess my monitor has a deguess button, works wonders at the end of the day), I use the Densen DE-mag disc (cat screechs), it uses the same principle and large fulctuating magnetic sweep patterns, starting full spectrum, then gradualy decaying over 3 mins, does it work?? :confused: well Tones systems gets a blast once a week.
    Voodoo :bs: up to the indivdual to make his/her mind up, as for £350, hummm, I'm sure some one has 9V PP3 and old 6" nail and some copper wire some where WM

9. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Whether it "works" or not (i.e., demagnetises a CD or not) I would rather shoot myself than contemplate the utter nerdish excess of it.

If you're worried about demagnetising your CDs you're half-way to obsessive madness IMO.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 30, 2003
  10. michaelab

I would agree with that.

tones, Jul 30, 2003
  11. michaelab

zanash

Typo missed the sss's off, golden ear trumpets

So do I take it that the naysayers can't or wont even try a simple experiment ?

Affraid to say that sums up HiFi, can't, won't, shan't hear a difference ! [broad brush strokes]

I think I said difference and changes too .....though sweeter fractionaly did come in it.

Sideshowbob why bother making the comment, do us a favour!

zanash, Jul 30, 2003
  12. michaelab

Ian, you just trying to justify your obsessive compulsive TT disorder to the masses :D (BTW I agree) Tone

13. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Because I think it's a fair point.

-- Ian

14. michaelab

ram Not Registered

I agree with Sideshowbob.

Surely your time is better spent just to the listening to music rather than hunting for miniscule differences in sound.

Holding CDs next to TV's is odd behaviour no doubt.
    ________
    HAWAII DISPENSARY

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    ram, Jul 30, 2003
  15. michaelab

zanash

Hell's teeth ...........

Its one CD, just one, the experiment will take you all of five minute. If your slow.
    The golden ears amungst us my be able to do it in less !

But, yes your entitled to your opinion, as I'am.

zanash, Jul 30, 2003
  16. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

The reason why it's only a short step to madness is because if you really notice a difference then you'll have to "de-mag" your CDs infront of the TV every time. There's only so many rituals like that you can go through before you go completely insane :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 30, 2003
  17. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

zanash, you're entirely entitled to your opinion. I was just trying to point out that the whole experiment is, in my opinion, based on an obsessive premise which is a bit dangerous. I can honestly say that if I caught myself worrying about this stuff to that extent I would sell the kit immediately and buy a midi system.

That's just my view. I don't demand agreement, you're entitled to believe the opposite, of course.

-- Ian

18. michaelab

zanash

I misguidedly though we could learn something !
    still if anyone else want's to try .........

zanash, Jul 30, 2003
  19. michaelab

Robbo

I have not had any experience with demagnetising discs, but as WM mentioned, I have had some nice success using antistatic sprays. I use RA Relees and it makes quite a noticeable improvement in my system. So much so that I routinely treat every disc with antistatic.

I find I generally get a more analogue feel, less hardness, smoother more detailed treble and slightly more controlled bass. For £20 it is not too excessive a price and the stuff I have has lasted years and hundreds of discs.

Henry is right, photocopier antistatic liquid works just as well. The xerox antistatic liquid I have at home does the same job.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jul 30, 2003
  20. michaelab

zanash

I've also used the antistatic "sparkle" polish on the printed side, with limited effect.

zanash, Jul 30, 2003
Ask a Question