Now this really is snake oil...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Jul 30, 2003.

1. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Sep 29, 2005
  2. michaelab

zanash

Its me again.......

I've not looked up the clever chip or what ever.....but have any of you heard it or used it?

What gives you the right to dis someones hard work without first having the curtesy to actual try the thing ?

I bet there were people standing round wilber and orville at kitty hawk saying exactly what your saying, before there first flight.

If you have of course tried it and its a pile dingo droppings thats all well and good, if not lets give things a chance.

zanash, Sep 29, 2005
  3. michaelab

tones compulsive cantater

Good ol' Zanash! I had a bet with someone that you'd come to the party!

Zanash, read it. It is total unexpurgated, as you so nicely put it, dingo droppings. It is not hard work, it is total con.

And, as a matter of fact, no, people were not standing around Kitty Hawk saying exactly what we were saying. Everybody knew it was possible, all the pieces were in place, the aerodynamics, the motive power. it was just a matter of whether the Wright Brothers or Professor Samuel Langley got there first.

tones, Sep 29, 2005
  4. michaelab

inteificio

dam I like throwing in the sciency stuff to sound smart but people have done it for me.
    For the record with the amount of magnatism and radiation that is flying around the place i find it unlikey that a small magnetic character in a CD will make a huge difference, but then again unlikely is not impossible, meerly improbable.

inteificio, Sep 29, 2005
  5. michaelab

mr cat Member of the month

there was a review of that chipin hifi news some months ago - the guy seemed to rate it, but I couldn't tell if he was taking the pi$$ tho...will try to locate the mag and read through it again...

mr cat, Sep 30, 2005
  6. michaelab

The Hi-Fi Choice Forum, with the kind permission of ZeroGain Forum and the gracious acquiescence of the Dope and the Collage of Carbuncles of the Church of the Reproduction, hereby awards

THE FOX MULDER PRIZE FOR AUDIOPHILICITY

[​IMG]

for services above and beyond the call of duty in refuting the forces of scepticism and in seeking to promulgate the Faith and maintain the constant upgrading expected of The Truly Faithful, to

ZANASH

The bearer of this award may hereinafter style him/herself “name, FMâ€Â

May the richest blessings of The Divine HOBBY be forever with thee

Proudly sponsored by the HFC “The Myths of Hi-Fi†thread

tones, Sep 30, 2005
  7. michaelab

mr cat Member of the month

well, we are a gullible lot us audiophiles anyway... ;)

mr cat, Sep 30, 2005
  8. michaelab

zanash

Hi Tones

yes poor example .......but there are endless examples of the lone inventor going againts the current percived thinking what about Galileo and the Catholic church ?

but there are many stranger things in this world that science has yet to pidgeon hole .....I just like to keep an open mind, especially if I have no experience with a product.

I just think its a poor approach to life, if you decide something is not possible even before you've tried it or know how it works.

I have now read the item......I'm unhappy with there technical expanation, but I also saw the article Mr Cat talks about.

I'm niether for nor against things that are out side my experience, I have what I hope is an open mind [along with a closed wallet] till I have been convinced.As I've been wrong a number of times in the past over things, by following thinking of the herd of silly sheep that inhabit some of these forums! often called the vocal minority.

zanash, Sep 30, 2005
  9. michaelab

Again, not a good example. Apart from the minor fact that Galileo didn't invent anything that conflicted with the Church, the heliocentric concept was already well known and widely accepted in academic circles at that time. It was just that nobody said it out loud, because it conflicted with Church doctrine (the fact that Joshua had told the Sun to stand still, so that he could do in all the Amorites (Joshua 10:12)).

Off-hand, I can't think of any examples of lone inventors going against current perceived thinking - I presume that you mean lone scientists with novel concepts. This also is exaggerated, because the peer review system of science makes sure that ideas have wide circulation and thorough debate - and humbug is very quickly debunked. It's true that revolutionary ideas can meet resistance, but science is not monolithic, and these ideas find their supporters as well.

This is the centenary of the Annus Mirabilis of an Experte 2er Klasse in the Swiss Patent Office, name of Einstein. In 1905, Albert produced four papers that set the scientific world on its ear. In a world used to thinking in terms of Newton's laws of motion, Special Relativity came as a shock, but the scientific world took on board this revolutionary idea and Albert, whose application to study at Zürich's prestigious ETH had been rejected, was invited to go there - as a professor. Science isn't as closed as you think.

That there are things that are unknown to current science is beyond dispute, and no scientist would dispute that. However, that there are also things that are obvious hogwash is also beyond dispute, and this is clearly one of them. Some things are such utter drivel that there is no need to try them to know. And if they do "work", this merely illustrates the most awesome power of all, the power of people to believe what they want to believe. I know, I've done it to myself - I once believed that cables made a difference. I felt I was an "audiophile" and that I could hear more than what mere mortals could hear. But then I realised what I was doing, and the differences disappeared. So, here I am, a mere mortal and a non-audiophile, and I tell it the way it is, not the way I would like it to be.

My mind is open too, but not to utter, potentially wallet-emptying hogwash.

tones, Sep 30, 2005
  10. michaelab

midlifecrisis Firm member

before getting into demagnetising, isn't the cheapest way to test this actually to do the opposite and try to magnetise something to see if there's even a problem to be fixed - ie take a new cd (which we assume isn't magnetised yet...), play it then magnetise the buggery out of it - maybe with a magnet..! - play it again and see if it sounds any worse/different? I'll have a root round in the kids' toybox to see if they still have a magnet and if so give it a whirl..

midlifecrisis, Sep 30, 2005
  11. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

zanash - an example of an everyday equivalent to the absurd MachinaDynamica / Intelligent Chip thing would be someone on a website selling "special magnetic slippers that interact in a new and previously undiscovered way with the earth's magnetic field to allow you to levitate and walk around in mid air".

The Machina Dynamica is equally absurd and should be dismissed out of hand in just the same way as anyone would dismiss my example "magnetic slipper" claim. The difference is that the magnetic slipper claim can be easily put to the test in a completely objective way and the Machina Dynamica cannot. It's sad fact that the peddlers of this kind of snake oil rely on the extreme subjectivity of hifi and the ease with which people can imagine improvements that in reality simply don't exist. They prey on the symptoms of audiophilia nervosa.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 30, 2005
  12. michaelab

however the same phenomenon is completely acceptable (indeed beyond all criticism) when it relates to religious beliefs :D

13. michaelab

Beyond all criticism? Really? Since when? And in any case, we're talking scientific principles, not religion. Oops! Forgot, audiophilia is a religion.

tones, Sep 30, 2005
  14. michaelab

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Yeah too right. Religion is simply an irrational human response to help explain the inexplicable (for those who need it) by giving believers the answers they want to hear (hey I criticised it so it can't be above criticism ;) ). Sounds quite a lot like audiophile tweakery come to think of it.

Uncle Ants, Sep 30, 2005
  15. michaelab

well I'm glad to see your comments. my point about 'beyond criticism' was a reference to current 'public' culture, where any judgment about the validity of religious beliefs (particularly Islam) seems to be batted back as disrespectful...

16. michaelab

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Its an interesting point I guess, but surely its perfectly acceptable to question the validity of ALL religious beliefs. Criticising one at the expense of another seems like a pot/kettle/black situation to me.

So I could (rightly in my view) get into trouble for trying to persuade people to attack muslims, but should be able to get away with suggesting that Christianity and Islam are equally infantile.

Anyway, That's for another thread I reckon.

Uncle Ants, Sep 30, 2005
  17. michaelab

Gaffer74

Talking about subjective, has anyone tried "Turd on Chips". Meant to taste awesome. Reacts with ZiplleGinger IonoPhotonicAcids to revolutionise your stomach.....

....eh?......what's that?......Haven't even TRIED Turd on Chips before?......THEN WHAT ARE YOU LAUGHING AT IT?......EH????......EXPLAIN YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2005
    Gaffer74, Oct 2, 2005
  18. michaelab

Sold very successfuly under the brand name "McDonald's", I believe.

tones, Oct 2, 2005
  19. michaelab

Gaffer74

:D :)

Gaffer74, Oct 2, 2005
Ask a Question