Now this really is snake oil...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Jul 30, 2003.

1. michaelab

robs

So....slow day guys?

I just tried the CD in front of the TV thing. I was expecting nothing (since I spend my working time making superconducting magnets & gradient coils for MRI scanners), but OH SHIT!!.

Held the CD up to screen (Morcheeba, Who can you trust - a suitably named disc for such an experiment?), turned the telly on, the CD is wrenched out of my hand and self levitates 6" in front of my nose. Bloody Hell. Dropped the remote in shock, remote hits cat, cat jumps into the air, grabs the CD and makes off into the garden with it whereupon ...

I'm going to have another G&T.

robs, Jul 30, 2003
  2. michaelab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

as i've sworn off alcohol and i don;t have a cat but i do have a pc monitor with a built in degausser which side should i press the cd against when degaussing? top, bottom, left, right, front or back.
    i'm gonna try it tomorrow so let me know...
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 30, 2003
  3. michaelab

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

ju -

slide it around the outside of the case whilst making mystic chants, and light red candles, devil stylee.:JOEL:

Ive also heard that amonia can release the chemical treatments on CD's that effects performance.

If anyone wants me to treat any CD's for them, send them over, I'll do them for 50p each. Bargain next to £350...

Just dont complain about the smell afterwards..
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 30, 2003
  4. michaelab

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I have a tape head demagnetiser. It cost about 6 quid. One day when I'm really bored, I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

As for 350 quid for this Furutech - it can only cost about 50 pence to manufacture :mad:

Keep those wallets closed. Even if it works there are much cheaper ways of acheiving the same result.

Chris

technobear, Jul 30, 2003
  5. michaelab

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

The best ways to treat CDs is the following.

1. Grab it by the borders and turn its reflective bit towards you.

2. Stare real hard at it with a menacing expression; you should feel it trembling a bit

2.a. Some CDs are tougher than others; you will feel it from the trembling. Just wait till it trembles

2.b. If *you* tremble, the Cd has won the match; in that case, just threaten to spin it in an Audiolab.

3: Insert in within five seconds of 2, or the effect will be lost.

4. and final: you will notice a vast improvement. The treble will be more transparent, the bass taughter and the midband more liquid.

5. If you do all that correctly, you will have won Audiophile status.

A word of advice, though: Try it first with unmenacing Cds; the Cranberries, Tory Amos and such stuff. When you are practiced try the technique with rock.

P.S.: Don't try it with Marilyn Manson, craddle of Filth an the likes of them. In that particular case you have to bang it real hard with a heavy hammer before listening; that will improve things immensely. Try the same you the more difficult records.

Then get yourself a nice collection of good music, wether on CD or vinyl. All the harshness will be gone.

:RdS: This is my smiley.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2003
    Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 30, 2003
  6. michaelab

robs

Just a thought..don't Philips transports (as used by Marantz, TEAC etc etc) use a magnetic clamp to grip the CD once the CD drawer is closed....;)

robs, Jul 31, 2003
  7. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

:D :D :D

You got that right RDS - glad it's not just me who thinks Marilyn Manson's output should be smashed up with a hammer then - although a Furutech demag of his master tapes might be a better bet - he (or should I say "it" or "freak") sucks!

Oh gonads -well that's me in the loony bin then, as I always line my CD discs back up in the case so wriiting is horizontal, I always put my receipts in the booklets, I always line up LPs in their sleeves so side 1 is up, and I always handwind a few seconds of leader tape at the start of cassettes - I learnt all those habits years ago and they're impossible to unlearn now! D'oh! EVEN *I* draw the line at holding CDs up to telly screens though.

...I might however use my Nakamichi tape head demagnetizer on a CD at some point - just for the hell of it. My 1983 copy of OMD's Architecture and morality should do it - it's a full label print :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2003
    domfjbrown, Jul 31, 2003
  8. michaelab

well,
    as one who likes a bit of empirical evidence (even if only subjective) more then speculation and conjecture i am currently listening to a copy of st germains tourist which was held over the back of my computer monitor while the degauser went off.
    if there is a difference then it's well within the bounds of being psycosomatic as it's vanishingly small if there at all. therefore i declare the cd demagnetiser to be audiophool bollox of the 1st water and award it the golden horseplop.
    of course it may work for you....:JOEL:

cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 31, 2003
  9. michaelab

tones compulsive cantater

So, in a spirit of scientific enquiry, I tried this degaussing business. I took my oldest CD and one that I know like back of my hand - Pinnock's version of Handel's "Water Music" (bought in 1985). In addition, Archiv CDs in those days had the non-playing surface completely covered in ink, so plenty of ink there to magnetise. And the result? Precisely nothing, or at least nothing that I could hear, and of course if I can't hear it, I'm not interested.

So, great, more money saved - exotic stands and now exotic degaussing machines excluded from the purchase list, so more CDs, which is what it's all about (or supposed to be anyway).

tones, Jul 31, 2003
  10. michaelab

HenryT

I tried the tv/monitor degaussing thing with a CD too, and to be honest, no apparent difference. I strained to try and hear something in the first couple of seconds and thought I did, but no nothing. I used my 17" computer monitor by the way, held the CD up to the monitor with label side facing flat against the screen about an inch away.

Robs, sounds like you need to clean your tv screen. All that static is a sure sign of too much dust build up. Hope you and the cat have recovered by now. :)

HenryT, Jul 31, 2003
  11. michaelab

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Guys, I leave you lot alone to play for only a few days...... :rolleyes: ....... ;)

Next you'll be purchasing the amazing new audiophool tweak I've discovered (it works for me at least ;) ). Just send me a cheque for 50 quid and I'll tell you what to do. £800 quid and I'll sell you the kit.

Go on try it, it's just as meaningful a tweak as the one being drooled over here, and I defy anyone to tell me I can't hear a difference :D:D:D

Cheers

timpy, Jul 31, 2003
  12. michaelab

Havent you got a website for that stuff Timpy?

:D :D :D

bottleneck, Jul 31, 2003
  13. michaelab

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Ha ha very good.

No I'm talking amazing audiophool tweaks not the informed audiophile alternatives offered professionally ;). Surely Chris, you can see the difference... :D:D

I'll give you a clue, you put one on each of your speakers, and no, it's not a stone / pebble or other other such rubble.

Cheers

timpy, Jul 31, 2003
  14. michaelab

hmmm

is it made of 'umpingo wood' ? small black and cicular?

orr....

is it what you see on Totem speakers -

like a metal beak thing?

(I forget the brand/etc)

or.. a supertweeter?

I give up.. thats my limit of speaker 'set-top boxes'

Chris:cool:

bottleneck, Jul 31, 2003
  15. michaelab

tim,
    the 3 people who've actually tried it all say that it did nothing for them so i'd hardly say that we're drooling over it. as for your 800 quid audiophool tweak i vote for those little blue peter belt dots at the top of the tweeter. only yours are made of audiophool grade hemp paper with a thin layer of gold anodised aluminium sandwitched on top in the shape of a star. of course once constructed it is sent off to deepest norfolk to be deep cryogenicly treated.
    i claim my free sample...

cheers

jujlian

julian2002, Aug 1, 2003
  16. michaelab

Garmt

I have heard this thing work... It does have a positive influence. Just having a big driver with a big magnet lying around and with a slow motion have the CD pass near the magnet will yield comparable results.

Garmt, Sep 28, 2005
  17. michaelab

Gaffer74

why? eh?....not paramagnetic, parnormal more like.
    You think this is bad, try looking up GS Intelligent Chip on google.
    When I first read about this, I laughed my arse off......I laughed so hard I nearly had a hernia:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina27.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
    Gaffer74, Sep 28, 2005
  18. michaelab

Garmt

Whoohahaha! That IS amusing... :lol:

Garmt, Sep 29, 2005
  19. michaelab

tones compulsive cantater

Thanks, Gaffer, brilliant. Duly added to the "Myths of Hi-Fi" thread over on HFC. We now await someone coming along and saying, "But you haven't tried it, so how can you say?"

tones, Sep 29, 2005
  20. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Sony TVs (well, all the ones I've used) have a VERY obvious degauss circuit - but only if you hard-power them on (without using the remote's standby button) - that's what that "frying pan" bonk sound is when you turn them on.

Power cycling a TV or repeatedly degaussing a computer monitor (allegedly) knackers the CRT (at least according to the instructions for my old CTX monitor), so is not to be recommended. Certainly not power cycling a normal telly anyway, as that puts strain on the CRT's heating elements.

A tape bulk eraser has to be just as good as this thingy though?

domfjbrown, Sep 29, 2005
Ask a Question