OB1 vs. SCM35

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, May 2, 2006.

1. andyoz

andyoz

Had a BBQ last night and cranked up Yes's "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on the pint sized JBL's. Standing outside with the patio doors open, you'd swear there was a pair of 3 way floorstanders cooking along. They've only got a 5" woofer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2006
    andyoz, May 26, 2006
  2. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

I had some dynaudio's once, which managed that trick. :)

KUB3, May 26, 2006
  3. andyoz

anubisgrau

you would be very surprised to hear dynaudio studio actives
    btw substantially cheaper than the corresponding passive home line

anubisgrau, May 26, 2006
  4. andyoz

andyoz

I have a pair of dynaudio passive BM15's in the study. Was a bit disappointed with them but I have never really driven them with a good power amp so I am not hearing them at their best. I expect the actives would be much better.

andyoz, May 26, 2006
  5. andyoz

anubisgrau

actives are different. a friend of mine is using really small ones with such a good bass response that he doesn't switch on a sub even when mastering dance music. plus that they really don't have a tense, fatiguing sound of genelec's and similar.

anubisgrau, May 26, 2006
  6. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

Back in '95 I had some passive 4ohm dynudio car speakers. I made some custom sealed enclosures for them to pair up with cyrus at home. They absolutely sang beutifully in my lounge at the time, measuring 15'x10'. I moved house and they sounded dull in the new room. Goes to show a speaker should be tailored to the room - it's critical.

KUB3, May 26, 2006
  7. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

Paul I'm glad someone is taking over my place of AML1 ownership on this forum! You should really come and hear what I have got mine doing after 1.5years of building the system and room around them before I sell them.

Andy, I think the person who picks up from you should be investigated.

Tenson, May 26, 2006
  8. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

When i get back from china in a month.

Yeah active beats bi or tri amp beats passive.

The three ways have more power handling and dynamics but the real win is the midrange - plus the bass.

The gain on aml is just the active. active 3 way mid thrashes the active 2 way mid. The active mb2 is further ahead of the aml1 than the aml is ahead of the passive ib2.

anon_bb, May 26, 2006
  9. andyoz

Dev Moderator

I'd like to hear how your AML1s cope with Drummers Reel.

Dev, May 26, 2006
  10. andyoz

andyoz

I agree.

Anyway, does anyone on this forum have any old gear they want to convert into cash?

Just send it to me and place an unusually high insurance value on it.

Then let my local "UPS Driver From Hell" get to work and do his stuff. All Sorted.

andyoz, May 26, 2006
  11. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

I have to disagree with that actually. I find the midrange on the AML1 better. I guess it depends what you listen for. The AML1 has one less crossover and the one it does have is where the ear is least sensitive. From that 1.4KHz xover up, it is a point source. I feel it only looses to dynamics, bass and the shear scale of the larger MB2 and BB5.

Tenson, May 26, 2006
  12. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

Dev as I have said pop down any time. Free Sunday?

Tenson, May 26, 2006
  13. andyoz

Dev Moderator

Unfortunately, I'm working this Sunday. I'll PM you when I'm free.

Dev, May 26, 2006
  14. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

Okey dokie.

Tenson, May 26, 2006
  15. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

mids

I won't miss the inconvenience or worry of weird domed mids dying that's for sure. I know someone who went through 3 pairs of them on IB & MB models. Plus there are various owners on Audio Circle forum who have identical dome mid failiures. I hasten to add mine went *before* my new years bash, at normal everyday volume. They are prone to rattling then cutting out unfortunately. Luckily mine was swaped under warranty, otherwise it would have cost £1000 for a matched pair. I still had the inconvenience of no tunes for 3 weeks though.

KUB3, May 26, 2006
  16. andyoz

andyoz

Wow, never heard of that.

Is there a technical reason for them tending to fail (i.e. design constraints that make them prone to this problem)?

andyoz, May 26, 2006
  17. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

I didn't get an explanation from the tech department. When they came back it just had a repair slip saying all done. There are hardly any owners of the large models outside of recording studio's so you won't hear much either way.

Btw, PMC used to use ATC mid domes. Then they modified them / made their own. Ask the ATC guys? Maybe it's just unlucky, maybe some won't tell you anyway, who knows :)

KUB3, May 26, 2006
  18. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes but in the mb2 the mid covers the entire important range - I assume in the aml1 its crosses over midway up it. On female voice ... the most stringent midrange test, I feel the mb2 wins. The aml1 is the best compact speaker I have ever heard however to be fair. To be further investigated at the next bake off! ;)

anon_bb, May 26, 2006
  19. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

Its hard to say really, that’s why I said it depends what you listen for. Voice definitely goes above 3.8KHz, it also (not so much female) goes well below 380Hz. If you are sensitive to phase at the frequency extremes of the voice and imaging then the AML1 will likely win out. If you are more sensitive to the midrange of the voice the 3-ways will probably fit you better.

In my experience from mixing music and building speakers the frequency extremes, especially around 150Hz-400Hz, of the voice are just as important as the rest and 2KHz-4KHz are very important for electric guitar.

However, the MB2 definitely give a very exciting performance regardless.

Tenson, May 26, 2006
  20. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

MB2 Crossover frequency 380Hz & 3.8kHz
    Crossover frequency 1.4kHz

For speech or voice 1.4 khz is about the worst place to put it - I used to work in speech recongition and this is the area we are most sensitive. But as you say - for guitar maybe 3.8 khz is the worst place to put it! I dont have the skill to "hear" the crossover - perhaps you can give me a few pointers next time.

anon_bb, May 26, 2006
Ask a Question