OB1 vs. SCM35

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, May 2, 2006.

1. andyoz

andyoz

Strewth, back again. You are persistent, I'll give you that.

andyoz, May 21, 2006
  2. andyoz

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I believe I already asked the participants in the ATC/PMC/mywilly war to give it a rest. Since that didn't work...

The Devil
    BBV

This is directed at the two of you. Stop baiting each other and stop responding to being baited. It is very irritating for the rest of the forum. No more last words, no more parting shots, just stop.

I-S, May 21, 2006
  3. andyoz

andyoz

OK then, now that the little comedy interlude is out of the way...

For anyone with a genuine interest, I will let you know how I go with PMC tomorrow re. the dislodged x-over inductors. I'm guessing they probably haven't heard of this sort of thing in quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2006
    andyoz, May 21, 2006
  4. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

good luck!

anon_bb, May 21, 2006
  5. andyoz

andyoz

Had a chat with Andy Wilson at PMC. Like ATC, they seem to be a friendly company to deal with. Here's his emailed reply:

"...From your description of the damage, I would say that the problems are consistent with the speakers being dropped from a height probably in excess of 1m. This would account for the inductors on the crossover being sheared away from the board.

13614 OB1 Cabinet Oak @ £470.24 each

13643 OB1 Crossover complete @ £178.08 each.

Labour to fit existing drivers and components to new cabinets, replace one crossover, and testing £100.00

All prices exclude shipping and VAT.

Regards

Andy Wilson
    (Technical Manager)
    PMC Limited"

That comes to £1430 incl. Vat so it should help me in my dealings with UPS.

They were insured for £1400.

andyoz, May 22, 2006
  6. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

Andys a good chap. You might as well get another 2nd hand one for that then flog the old one after fixing it up yourself. Or keep the money from both and buy an ib1 second hand ;)

anon_bb, May 22, 2006
  7. andyoz

andyoz

If it came down to it, I'd just keep the OB1's I've got.

My brother in-law is a bit of a wizard at furniture making so we can get the cabinets back in shape structurally easy enough. Also, the cabinet damage will be virtually invisible unless you get down on your hands and knees to have a look.

Crossovers should not be an issue as the inductors have only unravelled less than half a winding.

andyoz, May 22, 2006
  8. andyoz

andyoz

This is getting beyond a joke now.

UPS have "accidently" sent my OB1's to Germany instead of the UK insurance assessment depot. They are on their way back to the UK now so should be nicely beaten up a bit more by the time I get them back.

To rub in the salt, my ATC's have successfully arrived at the buyers address in Spain in perfect order.

andyoz, May 25, 2006
  9. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

Sounds like more than coincidence.

Tenson, May 25, 2006
  10. andyoz

andyoz

I think it was a genuine mistake.

My ATC amp was sent to the buyer in England but UPS decided to send it to Holland first. Their hub sorting system seems to work on some form of lottery scheme!

Actually to be fair to UPS, I think I am falling victim to one particularly erratic driver. There is only one guy servicing our area and he doesn't scan the barcodes on the Waybill when he picks up. He actually struggles with the whole barcode concept as the first time he came round he asked ME what to do with the barcode stickers. It takes about 2 days for anything he picks up to "appear" on UPS's tracking system. Maybe I should move to get away from him?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2006
    andyoz, May 25, 2006
  11. andyoz

NEWGUY

pmc's ??

Well it might be abit late to say this but my brother home demed the ob1's and we both thought they were the worst speaker we had ever heared.We tried them with two amps one musical fidelity solid state and my world audio 6550 power amp,heavily tweeked with paper in oils and black gates etc,The Ob11's just had no bass at all very very dissapointed we tried cables and everything but could'nt get them to sing.We also heared them at the HiFi show im manchester this jan and yep they sounded very bad there too.I suppose everybody has there taste but well every body in the roon said the same thing ...God luck.Yes i had some ATC's too... active 20s, now i have some lovely cadence's with valve mono blocks and well its light years ahead in terms of bass delivery,soundstage detail much better integrated sound with bass thats not shut off at 50k....James

NEWGUY, May 25, 2006
  12. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

No bass??? lol. Hmm...

anon_bb, May 25, 2006
  13. andyoz

andyoz

Oh no, here we go again.

To be honest, I was not actually "blown away" by the bass from the OB1's. It was better than the SCM35's to my ears though. I guess I was expecting more as that's all everybody raves about. I am aware that I have some issues with my room so I am not going to say any more. Next...

andyoz, May 25, 2006
  14. andyoz

NEWGUY

hmmm

i know ,we expected very good bass after reading all the reviews,its possible the pair my brother had could have been faulty,ie one bass driver wired out of phase.Strange though at the show the pair there,everyone in the room about seven guys thought the same,there were great sounding speakers there though and we had just been listening to the new tannoy Glenair with its 15 inch dual concentric driver now thats proper bass...lol

NEWGUY, May 25, 2006
  15. andyoz

andyoz

Yes, there's a good chance mine were faulty as well after UPS had finished with them!

Also, I was listening using a Squeezebox which doesn't really deliver the goods at the frequency extremes.

andyoz, May 25, 2006
  16. andyoz

NEWGUY

Everyone has there own taste ....there's no hard rules, if you love them, then ther'e the best speaker in the world .Until you upgrade that is lol...So Sorry to here about your ups problem ,i have had lots of hi,fi delivered by them from all over with no problems ,glad you where insured Andy...good luck ...James

NEWGUY, May 25, 2006
  17. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

PMC need to be far out into the room to give their best. Add some room eq and treatment!

anon_bb, May 25, 2006
  18. andyoz

andyoz

Oh boy, The buyer in Spain has just opened my ATC's and they have been damaged as well! The grilles have been snapped in half and have done some damages to drivers and cabinet.

I have checked with ATC and they have confirmed that I have packed them exactly as they do. ATC said they have never heard of this type of damage to SCM35's.

What the f**k is going on here?

andyoz, May 26, 2006
  19. andyoz

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

All of a sudden it does look like a good idea :MILD:

Nomoretweaks, May 26, 2006
  20. andyoz

andyoz

Do you plan to sell yours.....don't let my experience put you off.

[​IMG][​IMG]

andyoz, May 26, 2006
Ask a Question