OB1 vs. SCM35

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, May 2, 2006.

1. andyoz

Stereo Mic

Published specs. Totally meaningless of course. Sounds good though.

Let's be clear. The "extended" bottom end on these speakers is primarily 2nd harmonic, which gives that weightiness. And it can sound highly impressive with the right music. You will find measurements of some of the smaller PMC's on the internet.

The ATC is likely to be flat to around 35hz in room - which is more than enough for most music. If you are talking about Audioslave, you really need loads of headroom between 100hz and 400hz to make it come alive.

I'd personally recommend that you listen to some Dynaudio Audience 82's if you want to rock out and find the ATC's a tad dry.

Stereo Mic, May 4, 2006
  2. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

I must admit I really found the large 3 way passive PMC's to be heaps of fun when turned up loud. Trouble is they do take up an outrageous amount of room when positioned correctly. Then you have the steaming great monoblocks that are required, adding further to the kit mountain.

My new active 2 way PMC setup takes up no room by comparison. Clearly other active mini monitors like ATC are attractive from a packaging / bitch wife from hell point of view. Another vote for Dynaudio's too - a blast from my past.

KUB3, May 4, 2006
  3. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

No slagging fest - just correcting a factual error. The mb2 and bb5 are hardly lifestyle products. They are large and ugly studio monitors. You just made the comment to provoke so heed your own advice. I havent mentioned ATC. I like the ob1s though.

anon_bb, May 4, 2006
  4. andyoz

andyoz

It's interesting that Dynaudio has been suggested a few times, they were also on my shorlist along with PMC.

Have been listening to the pint sized active JBL's a bit more and comparing to the 35's. On a track like FGH "Two Tribes", the JBL's have a drive and groove in the upper bass/lower mid that is completely missing from the 35's. I can hear the 35's going lower (as expected) but the sound is not getting my foot tapping - it just sounds slow somehow. Maybe what I am really looking for is more drive and energy in the bass around 50Hz and above rather than absolute extension down to say 30Hz.

I would expect the JBL's to be more fatigueing over extended listening. However, my listening habits tend to be an hour here and there and I just need a quick music fix and then I'm off. Hence I would prefer a slightly forward/brash/gritty sound over something that's going to send me to sleep.

If I didn't have to satisfy "her indoors" I would definately be looking for some punchy 2 or 3-way actives, but all the ones I have seen look pig ugly. There is no way I can get away with a pair of black boxes on stands in that room. The look of the OB1's is perfect (slender, wood veneer). I understand that you can get the domestic PMC's "activated". Even on the JBL's I can hear there's a speed, grip and drive to the bass that seems to be a trait of active speakers that I like. After hearing what the JBL's can do, maybe I could drop back to a 2-way active like the PMC FB1+. I am prepared to sell up the power amp to go that way if need be.

Anyone have experience of going that way with PMC's or any other suggestions of good looking active floorstanders (excl. ATC)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2006
    andyoz, May 4, 2006
  5. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

I have the active mb2 xbd andy - its very good. However its to big for your requirements. The ob1s can be activated using bryston power pacs but I am not sure it is sold as standard. You could of course do it yourself. Could you get away with ib1s?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2006
    anon_bb, May 4, 2006
  6. andyoz

andyoz

The ib1's are definately out of the question - she'd kill me.

If I were to go PMC, it's either OB1 or FB1+.

andyoz, May 4, 2006
  7. andyoz

Nomoretweaks Tourist on tilt

ATC just as any full range speaker is likely to show peaks and dips in he mid and lower bass in any real room. ATC 35 in my room show + 5dB at 20Hz. It is all about room modes, forget about the specs unless you live in an unechoed chmber.

Nomoretweaks, May 4, 2006
  8. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

Go for the ob1... and stop squeaking.

anon_bb, May 4, 2006
  9. andyoz

Garmt

No, just go for Living Voice... Much better overall... :D :JPS:

Garmt, May 4, 2006
  10. andyoz

andyoz

Too late,

Have agreed a sale on a pair of OB1's for £1380.

Anyone want to buy my SCM35's ??

andyoz, May 4, 2006
  11. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

I have heard the LV - its very good. But from what you described the ob1 will suit you better. Try to match it with bryston.

Thats a good price btw

anon_bb, May 4, 2006
  12. andyoz

andyoz

I am happy with the price, the seller knew he was selling them low but wanted to avoid the eBay blues (how true).

I rang PMC regarding their options for activation but the techincal guy was out for the day.

From what I understand, they just attach a Bryton amp to the back of the speaker. Does that mean the passive X-over is still used. In which case, I don't see the point as the thing I like about active speakers is the use of an electronic X-over instead of the power sapping passive one. Correct me if I am wrong as I really like the idea of going fully active in the future.

andyoz, May 4, 2006
  13. andyoz

Stereo Mic

If you are measuring + 5db at 20hz, you have a very large room indeed.

Stereo Mic, May 4, 2006
  14. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

They attach an active crossover and some of the bryston power pacs - look at the bryston website. The passive is then removed. Alternatively you could buy two second hand bryston 3b and remove the passive crossover yourself and use behringer dcx as a digital crossover and for room eq.

I upgraded from the passive to the active and the difference is huge - as I am sure Tenson will attest.

anon_bb, May 4, 2006
  15. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

I was under the impression they still used the passive crossovers with 'activated' speakers.

Indeed, the difference with your system was quite clear.

Paul, how are you getting on with the AML1?

Tenson, May 4, 2006
  16. andyoz

andyoz

That's what I thought too. The Bryston website states that the Powerpac 120 (for example) is a single channel amp. That's the one PMC list on their website for OB1 "activation".

Anyway, I will call them tomorrow and see.

andyoz, May 4, 2006
  17. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

Not unless they shift it the other side of the power amp. If so just get a discrete active xover made up and replace it.

anon_bb, May 4, 2006
  18. andyoz

KUB3 ciao

Fully active implies one mono amp per drive unit (ie either 4 or 6 amps total, depending on 2 or 3 way) plus a crossover BEFORE amplification stage.

The confusion occurs when marketing bods use the term active, when really they mean powered. Few understand the difference.

KUB3, May 4, 2006
  19. andyoz

Stereo Mic

The original poster didn't ask about the MB2/BB5 did he :rolleyes:

I trust you took the time to read it?

Stereo Mic, May 5, 2006
  20. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

He asked me about active pmcs so I told him :p

You then waded in and called them lifestyle products! I appreciate you dont like them and thats fine but that description is stretching it a bit far! ;)

anon_bb, May 5, 2006
Ask a Question