Remembering the 80's

Discussion in 'General Music' started by HenryT, Jun 23, 2003.

1. HenryT

julian2002 Muper Soderator

they also covered blondie who's album paralell lines is imho the best album ever (musically, recording quality is a bit sus though). not a duff song on it anywhere, perfectly paced and leaves you on an up note.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 7, 2003
  2. HenryT

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Don't you mean Nightranger? They do that "Sister Christian" song that's in Boogie Nights when they go to that Rayhad Jackson dude's house to rip off his cash - you know, the track where he shouts "I love the build up"?

Henry - you been taping these? I can't get Sky in Exeter :(

domfjbrown, Aug 7, 2003
  3. HenryT

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

This thread seems to run and run, but this is perhaps a little off-topic.

Can't get Sky? Why the hell not? Is it some condition of the rent that you can't put a dish on the outside of the building? It can't be a bad reception area, some of the flats further along the quay nearer to town (the ones up the side road going up the hill) have them fitted I'm sure. Look into it again.

On the subject of Sky, I noticed recently that we now actually get BBC South West programming (news etc.) on Sky, whereas before it was BBC London. Seems they've finally caught up with ITV. What would they have done to get the local stuff on instead?

Haven't had a chance to see this program, although I've known it's on, do you know if there's a repeat any other night of the week? It'd be well worth taping the whole lot, if anyone has been... going to be some good stuff on there for sure, definite memory motel methinks that program is going to be!

ilockyer, Aug 7, 2003
  4. HenryT

michaelab desafinado

I've watched a couple of these and it didn't seem to me that they were doing them in any kind of order (eg I the last one I saw was 1997).

Michael.

michaelab, Aug 7, 2003
  5. HenryT

HenryT

Ju - Did they do Blondie in that programme too? I missed the first 5 minutes, so guess she, sorry "they" must have been on then. Was just channel hopping after EastEnders ;) and came across the programme by accident.

Hmm, they also had St Winnifred's School Choir on too, but not surpised no-one mentioned that! :eek:

Dom - Nope, didn't record it, but was thinking about it. Need to get some blank video tapes and check that my VCR still works, as they mechanism has probably ceased up from under-use, it doesn't even see use as a glorified NICAM decoder these days as all stereo audio now comes direct from the cable box! :D Will record the next one for you if you want, or you'd be welcome to come over for the evening to watch it in person next Tuesday?

Michael & Ian - Yeah, I remember they had 199? last week, but didn't watch it, so they do seem to be jumping about a bit. They are also showing this series at something like 2am in the morning too, but they don't appear to be exact parallel repeats of the ones shown on Tuesday evening. The one on next week is definitely 1981 as I had a quick skim of the schedules for the coming week to check for repeats and the contents of next week's show.

Too early to say what I think of this particular series, but so far my favourite show of this genre to date would have to be the BBC's "I Love The 80's" series. :MILD:

HenryT, Aug 7, 2003
  6. HenryT

HenryT

Our local commerical radio station here in Devon, Gemini, use to have an 80's hits revival show on the air on a Sunday morning, until it got the axe from the schedules few months ago.

Well, they must have had a couple of comminques from disgruntled fans, as they've now brought something similar back. An 80's/90's show:

http://geminifm.musicradio.com/sund...?chainid=bb0b1064-b9dd-4a5e-b7ec-2fdbb634b5bc

I think this show isn't just broadcast in Devon though, looks like it's probably relayed to most of the commercial station in the south west. ;)

What's more, DAB listeners get another couple of hours extras on top, as the main show finishes at midday (starts at 10), but the DAB services carries on till 4 with the reminiscing. :MILD:

HenryT, Jan 25, 2004
  7. HenryT

Sid and Coke

Another decent compilation style series was called 'Street Sounds' I've got about 10 or so of them up in the loft. They belonged to my wife and are all dance music. Whoever made the series also made sure that they where put out on top quality cassette tapes, the sound is excellent. Chrome tapes, HXpro I think they where equalised for Normal tapes though when recorded so they sounded a bit crisper, (don't quote me on this though , i'm dragging this up from the depths of my memory banks).

The Cult,
    When my mate first played She sells sanctuary to me on his B&O record player i was hooked on this group for years. I'm still snapping up the odd rarity here and there on e-bay 10-15 years later, just to complete my collection. In fact it's easier now as the band aren't quite so popular and as people shed their collections of vinyl/cassette I've noticed more reasonably priced 'desirables' becoming available. I reckon that even 16 years later SSS can hold its own and get folks heads bangin' even now, that throbing drum/Bassline and searing guitar work is timeless, i'd defy anybody to stand next to a pair of speakers with this track on very loud and try to stand still...
    I seem to recall that HFC forum had a thread a couple of years ago asking for peoples favorite rock tracks. The Cults- 'Sanctuary featured in loads of the lists often by people who in their early-mid 20's probably didn't even buy their own music when it was released in 1985. A mid 1980's timeless rock classic if ever there was one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2004
    Sid and Coke, Jan 25, 2004
  8. HenryT

HenryT

Hi Sid,

I've got one of the "Street Sounds" albums too, on vinyl. Don't know which number in the series it is, but it's the one with "Bomb The Bass - Beat Dis", "Mirage - Jack Mix", etc, on it. :cool: Received it as a prize for having a request played on the radio once... The show was called "The Saturday Soul Club", a bit odd as it was a dance music show presented by a DJ called Guy Hornsby on a local radio station (Ocean Sound), this was when I use to live in Hampshire back in the late 80s.

Re: The Cult - SSS :pRaT: :MILD:

HenryT, Jan 25, 2004
Ask a Question