Remembering the 80's

Discussion in 'General Music' started by HenryT, Jun 23, 2003.

1. HenryT

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I thought you had Hits 5 on CD dude - I saw it not so long ago in Sound Machine's £5 clearout - I swear. If I see it again I'll snap it up for you (so long as you'd get me the Xmas album or 14 on CD!).

28 quid a track though - sheesh, for £435 I'd expect the glass masters and the master tapes! I can't believe that...

Oh yeah Henry - there's a copy of NOW 1 on LASERDISC going - if I win it (I have to - it has the video of Moonlight Shadow on for starters!) can I bring it round to yours since my LD player won't read analog??

domfjbrown, Jul 14, 2003
  2. HenryT

HenryT

Yeah, Hits 5 on CD for a fiver, that'll do, yes please. :)

No promises on the Now Xmas album. Doubt if I'll ever spot that again cheap. My one was one of my luckiest finds. I've not seen any early Now on albums on CD for a good couple of years now!

Here's an interesting link I found whilst doing some research earlier on:

http://www.uktop40.net/1 ONES 1980.htm

So different to now adays. Number 1 records actually stay number ones for weeks on end, and also do the steady climb business. Record sales generated by buyers with free minds and not industry medaling, IMHO of course. :)

HenryT, Jul 14, 2003
  3. HenryT

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Ah the eighties, yes I would have been 8 about 1980 which goes to show how old I am :) :p :rolleyes: ;)

Liked some of the music that was coming out (well a lot more than comes out these days thats for damn sure, but thats another topic).

Some of my faves from the 80's include:-

All About Eve
    Belinda Carlisle (and my first ever live gig was seeing her live)
    Magnum (the rock band, not the icecream or the tv program ok?)
    Marillion (yes they did do other stuff than Kayleigh, go listen to it sometime)

and others but that'll do for now.

davidcotton, Jul 14, 2003
  4. HenryT

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Never heard much of All About Eve's stuff, save for Martha's Harbour which is on my very worn tape copy of Now 13, but I see they got back together a couple of years ago. A friend's seen 'em a couple of times since and come back with rave reviews... might be worth checking out if they tour again.

Marillion have done some great albums, Clutching At Straws being the obvious one and probably my favourite of the 3 that I have heard (Holidays In Eden and Brave being the other two)... what would be a good place to go next with them? Fish-era or some of the albums with Steve Hogarth (if that is the guys name, rings a bell anyway)?

ilockyer, Jul 14, 2003
  5. HenryT

Err...;)

Try one from each and see which you think.

If you like Clutching at Straws try Misplaced Childhood for Fish and for Hogarth try Seasons End which has some great stuff on it.

davidcotton, Jul 14, 2003
  6. HenryT

HenryT

Not heard any of Magnum's albums. Which one would you recommend to start with?

BTW, I also enjoyed watching the TV programme too! :eek: Magnum, PI. ;)

Well, the album that Kayleigh comes I also enjoy too. Misplaced Childhood. :cool:

HenryT, Jul 15, 2003
  7. HenryT

Yeah - Magnum PI was cool - in a cheesetastic kind of way. Get this though - I have NEVER seen an episode of Miami Vice! (Or Cold Feet for that matter but that's another story)...

Misplaced Childhood is great - good tunes and a better cover; most of the Marillion album covers I've seen are great - is it Fugazi that has the olde worlde top loading video on it - that was cool :)

I'm guessing that the album Magnum did that had "Start talking love" on it could be quite good - anyone know what it's called?

domfjbrown, Jul 15, 2003
  8. HenryT

Matt F

Marillion? What about the excellent "Script for a Jester's tear" - very good indeed. I rate Fugazi pretty highly too and Misplaced Childhood.

Henry - going back to that BBC program we both have on tape "A musical review of the 80's" I couldn't resist having a quick play of it the other night. Sound quality pretty bad but the Tag did make it sound a bit better using some of it's tricks. Picture quality pretty dire too but it was entertaining.

A few catagories/bands off the top of my head:

Famous for 2 mins 35 secs:
    It's immaterial - Driving away from home
    Hayzee Fantayzee - John Wayne is big leggy

Barking Mad:
    Department S - Is Vic there?
    The Associates - Party Fears Two
    Tenpole Tudor - Swords of a thousand men

Make a good DVD that programme - I'll get on to the BBC right away.

Matt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2003
    Matt F, Jul 15, 2003
  9. HenryT

To HenryT/Domjfbrown.

The album with "Start Talking Love" (the bands biggest hit to date!) is called "Wings of Heaven". It'd be a fairly good place to start along with "Vigilante" and "On A Storytellers Night".

If those tickle your fancy then check out some of Bob Catleys (lead vocalist) solo stuff.

Good luck...

davidcotton, Jul 15, 2003
  10. HenryT

badchamp Thermionic Member

Magnum !!!!????

Long ago in the dim and distant past, on a dodgy little turntable, I used to listen to Kingdom of Madness (Magnum's first album) a helluva lot.

Has their sound changed much. Didn't realise they were still going :eek:

badchamp, Jul 16, 2003
  11. HenryT

Yep they are still going (though they had a break at around 1994) and yes the sound changed from album to album though it was noticeably Magnum.

One of the most underrated bands around.

davidcotton, Jul 16, 2003
  12. HenryT

MO! MOnkey`ead!

C'MOn now lads! 7 pages! That's quite enough!

MO!, Jul 16, 2003
  13. HenryT

sideshowbob Trisha

Too much I'd say. About 7 pages too much :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 16, 2003
  14. HenryT

No it's not...

I've noticed there's no 50s, 60s or 70s thread on here... I'd be curious to know how many pages one of those would run to as surely there's more to talk about in those decades - psychadelia, early dance, early electronica etc etc...

80s though - love it or hate it, but you can't shake it :)

domfjbrown, Jul 17, 2003
  15. HenryT

HenryT

Just like a M*n* or N*im spat, you have choice, don't read it if you're not interested. :p

BTW, the theme tune to Magnum (the TV programme) was cool. Got it on a CD somewhere at home... No, I didn't buy it, it's on a CD-R a friend did for me who's done a bit of dj'ing in his time.

HenryT, Jul 17, 2003
  16. HenryT

Exactly, the subject header gives a decent warning (unlike some of the really crappy 80's stuff) on the cover of what to expect... or not, as the case may be.

A 60's thread would be a great idea, just thinking of all the great music that came out, Love, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Led Zeppelin's first two albums, not to mention some little boy band from Liverpool :D Hehe, just kidding, they definitely have their place in history, whatever you think of them!

Returning to topic, I'm sure Harrison did a album or two in the 80s, were they any good? The only thing I have of his is All Things Must Pass, the recent one I just couldn't get into and ended up swapping for something else.

ilockyer, Jul 17, 2003
  17. HenryT

GrahamN

That's because most people here are in their 30s and late 20s, so were impressionable (pre-)teenagers in the 80s. Having said that, I think I'd still take Drone Drone and Frankie goes to the Bank (or frankly almost anybody) in preference to the Osmonds.

GrahamN, Jul 17, 2003
  18. HenryT

sideshowbob Trisha

IMO no. All Things Must Pass was the first album he made after the Beatles' break-up, and half of it is probably the only decent thing he did solo. (It's in desperate need of editing, however.)

Hmm. Maybe I could turn this into a 60s thread? :JOEL:

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 17, 2003
  19. HenryT

The Osmonds... :duck: :chunder: ugh, thanks, that's just not nice at this time in the morning :D

Suggested treatment for Osmonds LPs and CDs:

:chop:

:chainsaw:

:micro:

:gatling:

not that I can't stand the Osmonds or anything! :D

ilockyer, Jul 17, 2003
  20. HenryT

HenryT

You're right, he certainly released one album in the 80's, if not two. I've not heard any of his solo albums at all so can't comment. Off the top of my head, he had a top 40 hit with "Got My Mind Set On You" in '87, a cheesy but goody, always gets my foot tapping when I hear it anyway. :)

HenryT, Jul 17, 2003
Ask a Question