Same old cable argument again...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, Oct 30, 2005.

1. tones

greg Its a G thing

Do you see any point in trying different materials?

greg, Nov 1, 2005
  2. tones

Paul Ranson

No.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 1, 2005
  3. tones

wolfgang

Got to page 26.

Finally found reference your claim, however, it seems what was said was a bit different
    after that it appear the discussion seems to have gone off in to a tangent as they usually do.

wolfgang, Nov 2, 2005
  4. tones

manhar

Not trying to sell anything, but out of curiosity I just ordered interconnnects from an internet trader called StraightThru after reading an ebay review, and was astounded at the phenomenal difference it made from my exisiting Chord prodac and Vanden hull MakIII both of which I have now discarded!
    I will say no more but I suggest u try them and youd be suprised to. No quibble refund if u dont like em.

manhar, Nov 2, 2005
  5. tones

Stereo Mic

Rather Transparent Manhar.

I'll come back to this when you guys have reached page 24 and are still going round in circles.

To sum up, those who hear cable differences want to, and have been brainwashed by the hifi press. Those who don't hear cable differences don't want to and have been brainwashed by the scientific community. Yada yada yada.....

Stereo Mic, Nov 2, 2005
  6. tones

greg Its a G thing

So really your input on the subject is irrelevant then.

greg, Nov 2, 2005
  7. tones

manhar

Erroneous comment StereoMic.
    Some people can hear better than others!
    That is a fact. I am ENTdoctor!!
    The frequency range which people hear is very varied and you need to audio test them as we do, to realise this. Some people can appreciate minor changes in audio frequencies whilst others can't.
    Of course whether a given cable is better than another can only be answered by a double blind randomised controlled scientific study comparing cables, but then again this is not a science forum. People are here merely to express their opinion......... otherwise there woud'nt be anything to say in this forum!

manhar, Nov 2, 2005
  8. tones

michaelab desafinado

Just deleted some irrelevant posts. If you've got nothing to say, don't say it.
    Michael.

michaelab, Nov 2, 2005
  9. tones

Active Hiatus

Are all cables built to the same specifications? DO they all measure the same at output?

Are we infact discussing like for like?

Active Hiatus, Nov 2, 2005
  10. tones

greg Its a G thing

In the simplest terms - copper cables sound quite different to silver IME. No debate in my mind. Some prefer the silver sound and others the copper sound.

Before we branch off into debates about rip-off cable vendors, hearing quality, measurement, DB testing. If we cant even agree that these two materials sound quite different when used to link components together then I dont think we're actually discussing the same thing.

greg, Nov 2, 2005
  11. tones

Tim F

Ok for the last time....

Get some QED Profile Silver 12 and some Chord Odessey. Hook these up and tell me you can't hear a difference!!!! TRY IT

Tim F, Nov 2, 2005
  12. tones

greg Its a G thing

I would also add that it is quite wrong to assume a "believer" in cables automatically buys into the cabling industry and it's pricing concepts. This is quite a different subject.

greg, Nov 2, 2005
  13. tones

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

And? Virtually any commercial product, from cars to washing powerders are. High End Cables may be a little more so (or not).

However, to argue from "Cables = ripoff" that "all cables sound the same" shows a poor grasp of logic.

I am happily in agreement that pricing in the High End industry is a matter of contention and that often the link between what goes inside and what goes on the sticker is tenous, but so it is with many other products.

However this has absolutely zero relevance to any discussion if cables can cause audible differences and if one or or the other cable is preferable on these grounds.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 2, 2005
  14. tones

Anex Thermionic

Surely its simpler to get an piece of silver cable and any piece of copper? :)

Anex, Nov 2, 2005
  15. tones

Cloth-Ears

On page 3 I took a different approach to the argument. Anyone agree or care to comment on that ?

Cloth-Ears, Nov 2, 2005
  16. tones

Paul Ranson

I don't see that challenging people making extraordinary claims is irrelevant. Do you consider that believing people have been abducted by aliens is necessary in order to discuss the phenomenon?

So how do they sound? Why can't you determine which is more accurate?

And why don't you invest a little time and money in winning Randi's $1000000? There's no scientific reason why the nature of the conductor should matter, given equivalent resistance and cable topology. So this is by definition paranormal.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2005
    Paul Ranson, Nov 2, 2005
  17. tones

michaelab desafinado

I agree. However, to argue the other way is quite logical. If you are of the view that all cables sound the same then any expensive cable is, obviously, a ripoff.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 2, 2005
  18. tones

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

If you make a cable with the exactly same topology (including exact dimensions etc,) but substitute copper by silver several parameters alter, so that both cables are now electrically different, in speaker cables of a few meters length certainly sufficiently so to exceed the "0.1db limit". If you correct the resistance by making silver conductaor smaller diameter you find that the CI, inductance and capacitance have changed. Again, the differences can easily go past the 0.1db limit.

Therefore under the conditionsl of Randi's challenge we are not dealing with the paranormal.

Past that our dear Randi has set up his test conditions in the same style as the ABX Mafia, with a statistical approach that minimises the chance of falsely concluding that the supposedly "extraordinary" claim is true at the cost of maximising the likelyhood of concluding the claim is untrue, when in fact it is true, to a significant but modest or small degree.

So, please stop bandying pseudo-science and charlatanery around, there is no benefit of this to the whole subject at hand.

I'll be writing a little think piece on worldviews, religion and audio as I find time...

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 2, 2005
  19. tones

zanash

Thanks .....I thought it was just me who cloud see through Randi's little scam.

zanash, Nov 2, 2005
  20. tones

Paul Ranson

So let's make interconnects.

This is just gobbledegook.

And are you really claiming that CI is relevant to speaker cables? And that all cable differences are down to changes in the conventional RLC parameters, and can therefore be rather easily emulated?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 2, 2005
Ask a Question