Stand Up Roy Gregory!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jul 3, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin

I stopped buying most of my monthlies once I got ADSL.

It's far less embarrassing than having to hand a copy of Jossle to a sixteen year old Saturday girl ;)

merlin, Jul 6, 2004
  2. merlin

Saab

Evo was better when messrs Barker and Meaden just tear-arsed around in great affordable cars,now,there is just so much exotica it has become a pale imitation of what they started with Performance Car.I still like them both though,very good journalists and drivers and its still nice to read what they say.Just some more down to earth tests would be nice,as in the early episodes.Remember the "greatest drivers car"? brilliant read that was

Saab, Jul 6, 2004
  3. merlin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Was EVO names after the mitso Evos?

curious

bottleneck, Jul 6, 2004
  4. merlin

Saab

nope,its was used by the late great Russel Bulgin,a fabulous motoring journalist who sadly died a couple of years ago.It denotes the spirit of enjoying driving,hence their strap line "The thrill of driving".

Saab, Jul 6, 2004
  5. merlin

michaelab desafinado

There's another 3 letter word that means the same thing: BMW :bmw:

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 6, 2004
  6. merlin

Dev Moderator

Sh*t, here comes Julian :eek:

Dev, Jul 6, 2004
  7. merlin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

what could you mean dev? ahh to hell with it... bmw's errr.... damn sky one is showing darts except they're not being thrown they are being blown out of thai girls bmw's.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 6, 2004
  8. merlin

JackOTrades

this is a very good point, imho, and the one thing that can justify getting magazines at this day and age (apart from the smell... ;) )

for sure a good number of people in the forums, through their activities or through their experience have listened to a fair amount of kit, and altogether, they will cover a vast amount, but having the ability to compare them all is difficult, and a point in favour of a "professional" reviewer.

however, this credibility they built over time is completely useless if there is any threat pending on the independence or credibility of the reviews put forward. this is the capital sin of a reviewer, so any conflict of interests is a bad idea. in the it analysis business people are not allowed to have shares of any software company, regardless of them operating in their sector of expertise or not (at least in some credible companies this is what happens). precisely for the same reason...

now, RG has open himself a can of worms... he should have steered well clear of the fora and not buy himself a war he is so ill equiped to win...

i think hifi mags have a place if they demonstrate independence, coherence and trustworthyness... opinions are opinions, anyone can give them away, but if you are out to sell them, you need to be more convincing. for sure there are ways of doing that and some were put across here already.

people like RG coming out attacking online fora will do mags no favours - it will only make people see them as arrogant prats that snob the rest of the true hifi enthusiasts... those who once used to buy their very magazines.

my two pence.
    :beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Jul 7, 2004
  9. merlin

sideshowbob Trisha

My company has just moved to new offices in the same building as Hifi World (still the best UK magazine I reckon, simply because they are prepared to do things like compare the latest and greatest against something made 20 years ago), so I will be spying on them very carefully.

Paul Messenger and Art Dudley are in the select group of reviewers who have (a) any kind of gravitas, and (b) the skill to not use hyperbole on a regular basis.

Most of the rest are a complete waste of time, you can see the strings far too easily to be able to take them seriously.

Fact is, most journalists of my acquaintance are failed novelists. The good journalists eventually move on to writing something more substantial, or become feature writers. Only the really awful ones end up or remain writing for retail magazines, even other journalists regard that as the lowest of the low...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 7, 2004
  10. merlin

Saab

Ian,

you forget many are freelancers and have full time "other" employment,Martin Collums is an example.So writing for a retail mag might not mean you are the lowest of the low,it might mean you do something else!

Saab, Jul 7, 2004
Ask a Question