Stand Up Roy Gregory!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jul 3, 2004.

1. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

There's a thought!

There's palpable but not audible vibration in the speaker stands, driven by the cabinets.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  2. merlin

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

That's interesting. Please try draping a blanket over the speaker stands when you get a moment and see if you can detect any difference in sound.

7_V, Jul 5, 2004
  3. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Oh no, -deep sigh- do I really have to?

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  4. merlin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

yes, do it and post some piccys too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 5, 2004
  5. merlin

Saab

and back to the original thread...................I have just read the mag,both the editorial and the response in the letters page,and his opinion seems to have been toned down.He believes that someday a forum will be sued,its only a matter of time.This I don't understand...........is he saying he can't publish a bad review for fear of litigation? Surely a reviewer can state why he thinks a product is poor,and still not be sued? he seems to insinuate that a forum poster can be honest and he can't,and its almost as if he wants a manufacturer to sue a website,to level the playing field.

Clarkson single handedly almost put 800 people on the dole,he certainly dramaticaly effected sales when he wondered around the Vectra and famously said he had nothing to say...............so why don't mags do that,be that direct,or is there genuinely only great HIFI on sale nowadays?

Saab, Jul 5, 2004
  6. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

You can't be sued for expressing an opinion about something. That's the whole point: it's an opinion.

You might be sued for saying 'reviewer x is taking kickbacks from manufacturer y' if you couldn't prove that it was true.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  7. merlin

Saab

yup,thats what I thought,so i can't understand what he keeps wittering on about every month.He hasn't used an example,he has just referred to the freedom with which posters can express opinions on the web,so I assume he means product reviews.

Saab, Jul 5, 2004
  8. merlin

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Oh come on. It should only take a few seconds to drape the blanket round the stands and could give some interesting results.

7_V, Jul 5, 2004
  9. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

FWIW Dave I don't think there is any bad Hifi on sale, lets face it even the budget kit sounds reasonably good (in isolation), what I would like to see is getting rid of the rating systems, or modifying them so that say, kit which was thee median whithin it's peer group scored 50% ie if it did what it said on the box, and was priced at the correct level then it should be 50% that way you wouldn't get all this 90% stuff with the same superlatives, being used until stupendous means average. Better still why not just give the dry facts, what did it sound like, but keeping references out of it, ie it sounded bright, not brighter than amp B just Bright, then possibly say if it should be added to your shortlist, and what the build quality was, instead of all this fawning, which only really fools the newcomers to this hobby, after a while you develop your own bullshit meter.

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  10. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

It's funny Steve but thats what has been suggested making little skirts for the mana, out of lovely chintzy fabrics

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  11. merlin

Saab

incorrect,I had one to start with:) you are right though,although,all said and done,I have read HiFI+ for years and never had reason to doubt their integrity,in fact,its graced my toilet with honours,it always gets picked up before the others at dump time (although the others have more ads to read nearer the end of the month)

Saab, Jul 5, 2004
  12. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

are we related....., thought I was the only sad f**k that read the adverts. It's the only place to get some peace.

Mags HIFI+

HFC

HF news

EVO

TG sometimes

Autocar

F1 Racing.

The odd New Scientist, though shite adverts in that one!

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  13. merlin

Saab

HIFI+ (better than pot pourri)
    HIFI Choice
    HIFI News
    HIFI World (haven't a clue what they whitter about most of the time though,but it looks good when I get brainy visitors)
    Amateur Photographer
    Evo (just gave first 50 away,wifes orders)
    Empire (sadly,I own every one,14 years worth,one notable edition stayed in the downstairs loo for 4 years until it got re-decorated)

edit to add i once spotted a bloke sold his amp 3 years after his last one,how ****ing great is that! I spotted an upgrader in the small ads

Saab, Jul 5, 2004
  14. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  15. merlin

Saab

both:)

Saab, Jul 5, 2004
  16. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

So do you prefer rock, classical or Jizz?

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  17. merlin

Saab

Jizz? are you asking me if I like felatio,or is it a spelling mistake?

If its a spelling mistake,Rock,getting into Classical,love Jazz live,don't own any cds though

Saab, Jul 5, 2004
  18. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

No spelling mistake was reffering to redecoration of a particularly notable copy of mens mag!, who doesn't like felatio,

As for the music, well ye rock, clever dance music(ie unkle etc), guitar and drum jazz, although not as much as i'd like, getting into classical but have to be in the mood, listen to more classical in the car.(on radio) soem days am driving for 4-6 hours in total.

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  19. merlin

michaelab desafinado

Sacrilege! Off with his head! :D

I have every issue and it's one of the few car mags worth holding onto and which I've delved into past issues for to read a road test of a car I might be interested in. When I'm in the UK I also get Autocar (easily the best weekly car mag and IMO better than all the monthlies except EVO) but that gets binned after reading. Also get "BMW Car" which is excellent.

HiFi mags it's now just HiFi+ and HiFi News. I like both (despite what I think of RG) and HFN has some interesting technical articles by Keith Howard. HFC is as bad as WHF these days and HFW rarely has anything that interests me in it.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 6, 2004
  20. merlin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

evo is ok and i used to be a regular reader however my interest in cars has waned over the past couple of years. in fact i think the last car mag i bought was actually max helmet :shame: purely as i was about to buy a new head unit for my 'new' car and it seemed to have the most adverts for ice dealers in it. fortunately i remembered i had an old sony head unit lying about and fitted that instead.
    hi-fi mag wise i'll buy hf+, hf news and hf w. world mainly due to the adverts.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 6, 2004
Ask a Question