Stand Up Roy Gregory!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jul 3, 2004.

1. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

I think Alex knows I'm pulling his leg.

I also think that TT owners are better at hearing noise and distortion than people who have never used a TT. We set downforce and bias by ear, and are used to listening for it. Next time you are over at my place, Paul, I'll try to show you what I mean by this. It's easy enough to change the bias setting on my tonearm.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  2. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

As long as it's not broken as apparently that is quite sore:D

Not sure if I want to be able to hear it James, I like what I'm hearing just now, warts and all, and if I knew what I was missing, well.........

Remember: The grass may be greener on the other side,..... but,.....It's still grass:)

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  3. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

It's clear that you love the system, and that is the only thing that matters, because it's there for your entertainment, and not for anyone else's.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  4. merlin

Lt Cdr Data om

hmmm don't think so, when you go from cd to a bad record, it sounds horrid pops noises, distortion, granted about optimizing vinyl if you have it, but from the clarity of cd to analogue noise??? that's so obivous as one has lived with no noise and distortion as such. not convinced.
    your last point is so obvious, and so simple, and that relatively speaking, subjectively is absolute obvective truth.

It deserves to be reiterated for its clarity:

"It's clear that you love the system, and that is the only thing that matters, because it's there for your entertainment, and not for anyone else's"

We have a knack of making things not obvious and complexifying things. We are beginning to agree, James!! something is not right :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 5, 2004
  5. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Hi,

Good vinyl sounds a lot better than CD in terms of noise and distortion, among other things.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  6. merlin

Lt Cdr Data om

again, not sure, noise and pops, and end of side distortion objectively and subjectively. I can't stand hisses, hums pops, record wear, after hearing those lovely quiet cd's.

Just a hint, could we start another thread if we want to argue about mana, and restore this to its original topic?

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 5, 2004
  7. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

James I do love the noise my system makes, but I also accept that you are looking for something different in your top flight sysytem, but I'm not insecure about it, I realise I will have to look at the room, realised this long ago, but not a lot I can do about it, shall wait till we can buy a stone house with a seperate cave just for tunes and computer, hey i may even go down the Julian hard drive route, (shock horror)

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  8. merlin

Alex S User

Bub, at least your system's free of noise and distortion.

Alex S, Jul 5, 2004
  9. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

If that is your impression, then you have never heard a good TT playing good vinyl.

Alex, no system is ever totally free of it. But some are free-er than others.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  10. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

I'm definately with you on this Data Maybe I'm deaf but I can't hear the advantages of TT, but I can definately hear the disadvantages and can't really live with them.

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  11. merlin

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Interesting comment. One could argue that there is a type of 'digital distortion' which gives CDs their 'non analogue' sound. Could you expand the 'noise' aspect a little more and say why you think (or in what way) good vinyl is better than CD for noise?

7_V, Jul 5, 2004
  12. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Steve, for me, it's in the upper midrange and treble where Vinyl tends to beat CD for noise & distortion. A lot of CD players lose out in terms of "tit-ripping" treble, which I guess is digital distortion.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  13. merlin

merlin

Usually Bub, it's digital clipping on the disc sadly - no player can make up for faulty software.

Ever notice how much more you need to turn up the volume to really extract the max from vinyl? It may just be my experience but I find vinyl allows me to listen longer and louder than the vast majority of CD's

merlin, Jul 5, 2004
  14. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

Even i notice that, with my modest setup

penance, Jul 5, 2004
  15. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Agreed. Paul, you really should come over again sometime for a proper listen. Last time we were mainly chatting & getting to know one another. I'll play you some old favourites that you think you know really well. Boring stuff like Hotel California, for example, or some Beatles stuff.. There's so much more on the records that I bet you've never heard.

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  16. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

It's a date, can't say I'm not open minded, but I'll also look through my old elpees and see what I can come up with, I'm not denying that TT may offer some advantages, just that at the Mo 1 I can't justify vinyl due to cost and only 150lp's, 2 I like the advantages re dynamics and lower noise floor(as opposed to distortion) that cd offers.

Still a night (or afternoon) listening to some choons always goes down well, I just wished your setup did the image thang :D

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  17. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

I know I can sort the imaging out by swapping the speakers, it's getting round to it - that's the problem!

The Devil, Jul 5, 2004
  18. merlin

analoguekid Planet Rush

teah swap your flat response moitors for some proper hifi transducers:D

When your back your holibags and have yer new mana, i'll give ye a hand if you want.

ps I'll need to go out for a couple of hours, back around half four, quarter to five, for you to pick up that cd.

analoguekid, Jul 5, 2004
  19. merlin

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Bub, is there any direct radiation or vibration in your Mana stands? Can you feel vibration in the glass? Have you ever tried throwing a blanket in front of the Mana to cut out any radiation there might be and, if so, does the sound get worse or better?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious about Mana but my recent work has made me curious about this issue.

7_V, Jul 5, 2004
  20. merlin

Alex S User

How about swapping with Mr Pig?

Alex S, Jul 5, 2004
Ask a Question